• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BoydS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    SE Texas
    Out where I live we've been over run by many wild hogs in the past few years. They seem to come and go, but in the past few months they have been staying put and doing what a hog does ... destroy your property. Enough, I wanted to know what I can do to protect my property from these hogs rooting up my pasture ... so I call the county game warden. Game warden (GW) on phone, what are my rights as a land owner to keep these darn hogs from digging holes on my property.? I also told the GW that I only have a few acres (less than 10). GW response was you can do anything you want (within reason and safely) to rid them off your property. Trapping and shooting was recommended (other recommendations were offer) and if you decide to shoot em, just know where your round will go (be safe). Ok, this make me feel better and I am now in my rights as a land owner to protect my property.

Just so happens during this past weekend and after the good rain we had it brought a few hogs out in the early afternoon. There she is, a sow with 3 piglets and just 30 yards from my backdoor. Ok, this sow is dead meat. I quietly go out the back door with my rifle, but she got spooked and ran off. About an hour later she comes back in the yard about 50 yards out. So I grab the rifle again and head outside. I lay the rifle on a fence post and got her dead on in my sights. The sow doesn't even know I am there. BAM, one shot and she drops instantly. One dead hog and many to go.

I took her down with an older Ruger Mini 14 with a 5.56mm 55 grain round. Also had a Redfield scope on the Ruger. Shot was place just above the eye. The bullet did not exit the skull.

Think I will now use my Ruger 1022 to take out the little ones.

Hope the pic works. If not I will have to revisit how to post pics.

IMG_0903.jpg
    Military Camp

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Folks say that the little ones are the best for food. Around here, the Federal land is overrun with hogs and the Feds pay trappers to catch the little bastards to RELOCATE them! What a crock! Those are some destructive critters.

Flash

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hehehe i had a feeling there would be plenty of volunteers.

Might as well throw my name on the list. my AR needs a workout.

happy hunting

:)

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'd relocate them to a BBQ pit.

That's funny!......sincker
    It makes more sense than to relocate them to give someone else a problem! I smell the pit BBQ fire, now!

When I lived in Southern Illinois, the guys dug pits in the ground and cooked brisket and hams in the hole. I don't know if it was the Budweiser but I remember that as some of the best meat I've ever tasted!

OK...Here's the plan. I'll volunteer to help whack the pigs, too. Then get a pit going and toss them in the hole. Pork and brew for everyone!

Flash

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I'd relocate them to a BBQ pit.

That's funny!......sincker
    It makes more sense than to relocate them to give someone else a problem! I smell the pit BBQ fire, now!

When I lived in Southern Illinois, the guys dug pits in the ground and cooked brisket and hams in the hole. I don't know if it was the Budweiser but I remember that as some of the best meat I've ever tasted!

OK...Here's the plan. I'll volunteer to help whack the pigs, too. Then get a pit going and toss them in the hole. Pork and brew for everyone!

Flash

Hannibal-I-Love-It-When-a-P.jpg

Top Bottom