ARJ Defense ad

HK91 - 22 conversion kit with a suppressor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    I have a mil surplus 22 lr conversion kit for the HK91 (7.62). If you have not seen this before, it uses a chamber adapter with a barrel insert.

IMG_5239.jpeg

If you had a 22 lr suppressor that would thread on the 308 barrel (hypothetical?), could this maybe damage the 22 lr barrel insert?

Flare out the insert end due to pressures?

Push the insert back out of the chamber?

Not sure if I know enough about the operation of suppressors to understand complications of this installation.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    First off your barrel is in a metric thread pitch that would not be common in a .22 suppressor. If you were to find a .22 suppressor that you could adapt or change the end on to the proper thread pitch, then comes the problem it being concentric. As you know that barrel insert is shorter then the 7.62 barrel. That could pose a problem with it being concentric.

Personally I wouldn't mess with it all, as it really was not designed to be surppressed.

I have a .22 conversion kit too with both a new semi bolt carrier + the select fire bolt carrier. Mine runs hit or miss. I think I need new firing pin. IIRC the Extractors go to hell on the kits & if you can find some one who has made some buy them. Magazines can be problematic too. I have one that the spring is roached out. The springs are actually in a .22 magazine inside the 7.62 magazine. Research the springs & buy some if you can.

I played with mine for about a year even cut tree down with it. When I got the dedicated .22 upper for the M16 that kit has sat since.

Shooter74

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    I have a couple of these kits. I love shooting 22lr, especially with a registered sear.

I had one of the bolt carriers cut down to fit a PTR 51 clone. Then, I shortened the barrel insert.

I have shot it suppressed with no problems. I ordered a thread adapter that allowed me to use the 22 suppressor threads. Can't remember where I ordered it from.

The barrel insert locks into the chamber so it will not back out. The end of the barrel insert should not flare out with suppressor use.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Of course like @baboon said, gotta make sure everything is concentric. Or get a M16 like him, lol. View attachment 404655 View attachment 404656

I'm impressed that you have a Bazooka, Brothers American180 mag conversion. I remember looking & looking for one before giving up. There are a few other things that I have searched for in vain. Probably better off as the price would leave me with sticker shock.

Shooter74

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    I'm impressed that you have a Bazooka, Brothers American180 mag conversion. I remember looking & looking for one before giving up. There are a few other things that I have searched for in vain. Probably better off as the price would leave me with sticker shock.
    It took awhile to find the bazooka Brothers adapter. I put a WTB on HK Pro forum some years back and got lucky. It works the best with CCI mini mags. It was originally intended for my kids to shoot. They didn't really get into it so now I have fun with it.

Shooter74

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    Those G8 drums are crazy expensive. I can't imagine a NIB price. Even the X products drums are getting pricey.
    The Illuminator for the scope come up every now and then. I went for the clone/cheap version. It never gets used.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Those G8 drums are crazy expensive. I can't imagine a NIB price. Even the X products drums are getting pricey.
    The Illuminator for the scope come up every now and then. I went for the clone/cheap version. It never gets used.

IMG_3400.JPG

I seldom even us it as loaded it weighs a ton. That & it's value, but running a drum out of the G3K is impressive at night with tracers. I had a decent Chicom illuminator but gave to my buddy Ralph. I bought another and it was total shit. The real deal illuminator may have cost more tenth scope kit when I bought it. Have thought about selling it but it's bad ass to use running burst with the G3K on a bipod.

Top Bottom