Guns International

Last edited:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Much to my surprise there is no serial number or ANY other stamp marks in the metal

The lack of a serial number is normal for a weapon of that vintage, and I have to wonder if you're not missing any proof marks in all that engraving or hidden under the fore end. By the fact that you thought it was a rifle at first, and were surprised by the lack of a serial number....uh, you need help. LOL...just ribbin' ya. :)

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    That looks to me like it might have been updated to take a more modern load at sometime in its history. Not saying it's is good to go now, but it appears to have had the barrels lined with better steel. If you are near Briley sometime, I would take it in and ask them to have a look. They might have some insight on what is going on there, as they are pretty good with old shotguns. It would probably be possible for them to work up some inserts and make it a shooter again.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    That looks to me like it might have been updated to take a more modern load at sometime in its history. Not saying it's is good to go now, but it appears to have had the barrels lined with better steel. If you are near Briley sometime, I would take it in and ask them to have a look. They might have some insight on what is going on there, as they are pretty good with old shotguns. It would probably be possible for them to work up some inserts and make it a shooter again.

Kinda looks to have inserts already. Not sure though.

trigger643

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2014
    Kingwood
    Thanks for the photos. It's a cartridge gun. Appears to be about 16 gauge? Appears there's been some barrel trouble and repair at some point (sleeved and/or just tubes brazed?). It is an under lever, as I stated earlier. 1875-1900 vintage.

Here's a very similar one made by Blanke:

52-02.jpg

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    The lack of a serial number is normal for a weapon of that vintage, and I have to wonder if you're not missing any proof marks in all that engraving or hidden under the fore end. By the fact that you thought it was a rifle at first, and were surprised by the lack of a serial number....uh, you need help. LOL...just ribbin' ya. :)

Unlike your pretending to be a comedian, I don't pretend to be a firearms expert.

:p I (actually we) did spend sometime looking *in* the engraving for some kind of identifying marks but no success.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Is that briley AND brileygunsmithing .com the same?

I'm surprised no one has commented the barrels appear to have extensions too. I believe it was originally a coach gun.

ETA: going to ask that this thread be re-titled and moved to shotgun section.

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    The pictures don't do it justice. It's not *my type* of gun but I do appreciate the craftsmanship.

Well if you want to be *your type* of gun, saw off the barrels to 18", Krylon it flat black, bolt on a Picatinny rail, put a elastic shell holder on the butt stock, duct tape a flashlight to the barrel and you should be good to go. Probably do all that for less than $20.
    lmfao.gif

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Is that briley AND brileygunsmithing .com the same?

Yes, that is them, this is also them. Briley Manufacturing, shotgun choke manufacturer and gunsmithing

They are good and experienced at taking unsafe, old shotguns and making them shooters again. Back a number of years ago they made a killing selling off shotguns they imported by the barrel load (yes, they came in steel drums) when the UK went farther anti-gun than they were.

They are near the corner of I-10 and Beltway 8 on the west side of Houston. Got a small showroom with some nice guns and a knowledgeable staff to help. If you go, there are a few other stops close by like Athena Gun Range, Carters, Bass Pro not far and neither is AJC, etc. to make the trip a bit more interesting.

BTW, I think Rob (matefrio) knows one of their smiths personally. Might PM him about making contact with the gentleman.

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Remember, I am not the owner but finding them more options to assess and appraise it when they go to Collectors is in part the goal of this thread. Thanks

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    +1 to what Acera said about Briley. I took my great-grandfather's and great-great grandfather's SxS shotguns to Briley for ID and info, very helpful. I also like just stopping in and drooling over some of the high-grade long guns they have in their showroom.

Top Bottom