• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    870. Solid performer with a long track record of same, easier to upgrade later, steel receiver, good customer service. Mossberg 500 are OK, but 870 are the gold standard in the pump gun world for a reason. Or lots of reasons, four of which are listed :)

Alex

I think mossberg has plenty of track record when you look at it's history of military use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Ah, Mossberg v. Remy....about forty years of "one action bar or two, aluminum receiver or steel"...almost as bad as .45 v. 9mm :D

Mossberg won the M590 contract on price. And...the 590 and the 500 are a LOT different. The Express/Magnum/Police/Wingmaster line is pretty much the same gun.

I have both in my own collection. I have been working on both, and setting them up for regular people and cops, for the last 30-odd years. Hell, my very first "department" sale was Mossberg 500 to the local 'county mounties." But my personal choice, and this is from a guy who can afford to buy or build anything I want, is a 870. Of course, of my "defense" 870's, one is a 22" 8-shot Police with tritium ghost rings, Speedfeed stock and a Mesa saddle, the second is a Police with a 18" barrel, tritium ghost rings and a factory top-folder, and the third is a 14" tritium open sight, factory top folder. The first one also works great as my "heavy metal" competition gun ;)

Alex

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Mossberg won the M590 contract on price. And...the 590 and the 500 are a LOT different. The Express/Magnum/Police/Wingmaster line is pretty much the same gun.

Alex

Searching around there are very few differences I can find.

Metal trigger guard and safety, slightly thicker barrel, and parkerized instead of blued.

What am I missing.

The only thing that plays in to this is where you want your safety, IMO.

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    First off, "JoeBob" sounds like a cool guy

Secondly, my PERSONAL vote would be for the 870. Most of the personal pump shotguns owned by guys in our own shop are either 870's (Upland/home defense) or Benelli Supernovas (waterfowl/3gun). The 870 is a tried and trued design, works well, and feels good in the hand. Nothing against Mossbergs, but we've only ever had (1) pump shotgun break while we were inspecting it after we traded for it, and it was a Mossberg 500. The safety literally broke in half. I'm sure it was a freak occurrence, but it wasn't something good to happen by any means.

That PARTICULAR model of 870, should be back in stock mid next week it looks like.

You found me! Really still can't believe I won... I've been to your site at least once a day going back and forth. I've added items to the cart, allied the xdtalk discount, deleted everything and kept on going through everything I want. Even though about getting a XDS. The HD shotgun seems to be the best route for me. I'm going to head out to Academy in the next week to put a 870 and a 500 in my hands. I'm more than leaning more towards the 870. I want to get a mesa tactical high tube adapter with the recoil stock kit.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The shell lifter on the 500 also stays up when the action is closed. Look at the bottom feed area and you will see the difference. It is less likely to pinch your fingers while reloading.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Got my finger jammed up on a rem 1100 that way, hurt like hell, lol. Also had a shell jump back between the feed ramp and bolt which can be a pita but usually racking the action really hard will get it out.

Now lets get back on topic.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Ah, Mossberg v. Remy....about forty years of "one action bar or two, aluminum receiver or steel"...almost as bad as .45 v. 9mm :D

I have both in my own collection. I have been working on both, and setting them up for regular people and cops, for the last 30-odd years. Hell, my very first "department" sale was Mossberg 500 to the local 'county mounties." But my personal choice, and this is from a guy who can afford to buy or build anything I want, is a 870. Of course, of my "defense" 870's, one is a 22" 8-shot Police with tritium ghost rings, Speedfeed stock and a Mesa saddle, the second is a Police with a 18" barrel, tritium ghost rings and a factory top-folder, and the third is a 14" tritium open sight, factory top folder. The first one also works great as my "heavy metal" competition gun ;)

Alex

You should share pics of those 3 870s you've got. It's only fair.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The shell lifter on the 500 also stays up when the action is closed. Look at the bottom feed area and you will see the difference. It is less likely to pinch your fingers while reloading.

If you can pinch your fingers on an 870 lifter, you're some kind of special. There just isn't room for it to happen.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have Mossberg 930 SPX and Saiga 12 set up for HD duty.

Autoloaders for the win. Less recoil, less chance of operator error, more shots on target in less time.

My FN is a bit big for HD. Something dumb like 16" LOP, 22" barrel, but it does hold 10 rounds if you float one on the lifter...

Just the same, my AK is laying handy with the Aimpoint turned on. 30>10 and I don't have to worry about swinging that big barrel around.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    You should share pics of those 3 870s you've got. It's only fair.

And the 500, 590, 870 Wingmaster, 870 Police in Air Force issue bayonet extension "as issued" configuration, the 3 Saiga 12 "Open" class guns, the Saiga 12 "iron sight" (custom fiber optic sights machined from bar stock, what a pain), the 8" Saiga with the folding bayonet, the 410 Saiga, the 20 gauge Saiga, the 'famous' Saiga (the one we built for Taran, that he used this year to win the USPSA National 3-Gun Open championship)...orginal '41-produced 1897 Trench Gun, '12 1897 set up for Cowboy Action, M1 Super 90/H&K marked set up for 3-Gun, Super X2 Practical, Super X2/Xrail 22" 23-shot...not to mention the over/unders and side by sides...although on reflection I think I sold the 590 a while back.

Oh, and I can't hardly bear to forget my favorite "what the heck were you thinking" project, the 10" bolt action 12 gauge Mossberg...pistol grip...

Sad part is, I don't particularly like shotguns.

Suppressed/shorty AR's, yep. WWI belt fed water cooled trench warfare guns, yep. MP44, oh hell yeah. Although once I get a M26 type built and installed (on a shorty AR, of course), I may change my tune a bit.

Now, back on topic...I sell a ton of 500's, because they are cheap and run just fine...point of fact, my first "all mine, all the time" shotgun was a 500 (and I still have it). But if I have a choice these days, I choose 870's

Alex

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    I love my 870...it was my grandfathers' and is from the 50's.Wingmaster. I say buy the one you like the best. All of them will serve you well.

alexVT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Austin
    I'm an 870 fan as well. But recently I read about the Winchester sxp-does anyone have an idea how that compares to the 870?

bjo71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    I believe the Winchester SXP is similar to the old Winchester 1300, but a more updated design. I had a 1300 before and liked that it was a fast shooting pump. However, it does not feel as sturdy as the 870. THe 870 is nicer but it needs to be forcefully pumped to minimize the chance of not feeding a shell right. THat said, I have sold all my pumps and am now using a 930SPX for HD.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Have you shouldered a Mossy 500? The factory stock that came with my Persuader had a pretty long LoP, so I ended up getting an adjustable stock for a better fit.

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Update: decided on the 870. Waiting for it to come back in stock. I missed the last opportunity of it being in stock. The price also went up $25 due to demand... So its going to end up being $129 + $20 FFL.

Can't wait to get it.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Sorry to see your decision to opt for the Express.
    A Remington Express is NOT a Wingmaster. I see that the one you listed
    is a "tactical" model. I've seen one and wasn't impressed.
    However, I really like the Mossberg Persuader model.
    I would not pay more for a Remington Express than a Mossberg 500.

Top Bottom