• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Friendswood, TX
    As I predicted, we have been stabbed in the back by Rep. Joe Straus, the Texas Speaker of the House who decides which committees will get bills. This is the fourth session for employer parking lot bills and in each of the three prior sessions (2009, 2007, 2005) the House version went to the same committee, Homeland Security & Public Safety. (This committee has had three different names in three sessions: Law Enforcement, Public Safety, Homeland Security & Public Safety). The Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee is the proper committee to hear this bill again this session, because its Members are familiar with it and because the subject matter is appropriate for the Committee. But it is not to be this session. Speaker Straus sent this bill to the Business & Industry Committee and his reason for doing so is abundantly clear to anyone familiar with Texas politics.

The B&I Committee is the hub of influence for the Texas business community. The biggest opponents of our parking lots bills have always been business groups and every one of their trade organizations like Chambers of Commerce, Chemical Counsel, etc. vigorously oppose the bill. With 78 authors, joint authors and co-authors, HB681 will pass if it gets to the House floor for debate and vote. There are two ways to kill HB681; send it to the B&I Committee where it will be voted down or simply not brought up for a vote, or have it tagged in the House Calendars Committee. (Another option would be to load it down with unacceptable amendments essentially gutting the bill.)

At first glance, it may appear that HB681 is fine in the B&I Committee. Of the nine Members, 7 are NRA A-Rated, one is a B- and one is a C. In order to get an A-rating, one must answer the NRA Questionnaire by pledging their support of both the employer parking lot and campus-carry bills. So every one of those A-Rated Members have said they will support employer parking lots. Don't let them start with the "private property rights" argument; it's too late. But look closer. Of those seven A-Rated Members three didn't co-author HB681! (If they sign on after the flood of calls, it will mean nothing.) All three have co-authored the campus-carry bill making their failure to co-author HB681 even more telling.

A plan to kill HB681 has been put in place and we need everyone to get involved in a big way. All gun rights organizations combined cannot come close to matching the money the business community can pour into defeating HB681. But we have something they don't -- VOTES! Industry can put millions of dollars into campaigns, but we can put millions of people into voting booths. Please call and fax each Member of the B&I Committee and very politely let them know that you want to see:

• 1) Quick action on HB681;
      2) A very early public hearing and vote on the bill;
      3) HB681 voted favorably as filed without any amendments.

It's fine if you want to send emails as well, but emails don't have near the impact of telephone calls and faxes, so please don't use email as your only method of contact. I also suggest that you call and fax every Monday morning until HB681 is voted favorably from the B&I Committee. We need to let this Committee know that this response is not a flash in the pan and they you will keep an eye on this Bill until it passes.

Here are the Committee Members, their NRA Rating and a link to their contact information:

Joe Deshotel - A: Texas House of Representatives : Representative*Deshotel, Joe

Rob Orr - A: Texas House of Representatives : Representative*Orr, Rob

Dwayne Bohac - A: Texas House of Representatives : Representative*Bohac, Dwayne

John Garza - B-: Texas House of Representatives : Representative*Garza, John V.

Helen Giddings - C: Texas House of Representatives : Representative*Giddings, Helen

Sid Miller - A: Texas House of Representatives : Representative*Miller, Sid

Chente Quintanilla - A: Texas House of Representatives : Representative*Quintanilla, Chente

Burt Solomons - A: Texas House of Representatives : Representative*Solomons, Burt R.

Paul Workman - A: Texas House of Representatives : Representative*Workman, Paul

This is important folks. If you want to see a parking lots bill pass, then make the calls, send the faxes, and keep doing it until this Committee votes favorably for HB681. Get your friends and family members to do so as well and stress the importance of keeping up the pressure until the job is done. Let me say this, except for the freshmen, the A-Rated Representatives are proven friends of gun owners, so don't treat them like traitors. Like all of us, they have friends who hold opposing views on some topics and we simply need to politely let them know that they need to side with us on this issue. They can still be friends with industry on other issues.

Finally, as I always stress, be polite. If you can't, then please don't contact anyone. If our people take the OpenCarry.org approach, we'll get the same result -- NOTHING!

Chas.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    If you only have time to call a couple I'd call Rep.s Workman and Miller. They're both A rated but aren't co-authors.

But honestly, it just took me all of 10 minutes to call all of them just to let them know (1) I support the bill, (2) I will be watching it and (3) I asked that they vote for it to pass to the floor for a vote with no amendments.

Kyreb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Houston TX
    First draft:

February 22, 2011
    The Honorable Rep Joe Deshotel
    FAX (512) 463-8381
    Capitol Station
    Austin, Texas 78711

Dear Representative Deshotel,

I am writing to encourage your support to Bill SB 681, just as it is written and presented by 78 authors, joint authors and co-authors.

This bill would allow Concealed Handgun Licensees to transport and store handguns in their locked, private motor vehicles while parked on their employer’s property. As you know, citizens who possess a CHL have been successfully completed both training and a background check to qualify for this privilege. We present no threat to the law abiding and only wish the ability to protect ourselves and our loved ones from harm through legal means.

As a resident of Houston, I have seen crime in my neighborhood escalate as of late. My home was recently burglarized as I left for work. My neighbors have been victims of car jacking and home invasions as they returned home from work.

The criminals are aware of our schedules and fully realize we are at our most vulnerable state when traveling to and from work.

One day I was involved in a traffic accident on my way to work. The car that hit me was occupied by four youths who were under the influence and exhibited tattoos and clothing representing gang affiliations. The youths brawled among themselves, produced knives and were obviously contemplating attacking me and taking my truck. It took police over 30 minutes to arrive while I stood there defenseless. If they had turned their violence toward me, I would not be here to write this letter today.

It frightens me to think big corporate money has influenced our Texas legislature to table so many pro-second amendment bills in recent history. Corporate interests should not come before the safety of law abiding citizens.

Please support this measure and preserve the most sacred right of a Texas citizen, that being the right to their own self defense.

Sincerely,

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Friendswood, TX
    So the co-authors are on board as per Mexican Hippie's post?

Co-authors signed on before HB681 was sent to the B&I Committee. The folks who signed on probably support it, but the game changed when it was sent to their committee instead of Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee as everyone in Austin expected. "Our friends" are also friends of business so these proven pro-gun folks have conflicting interest tugging at them and focusing on their committee. This was not an accident.

Thanks for responding folks.
    Chas.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Are yall seriously getting your vehicles checked at work? Im just wondering. Id like to find a job that handbook doesnt mention guns so i can CC. Not only guns in the parking lot.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Friendswood, TX
    Business and Industry Committee sure seems like the right place for a business related bill.
    That's not the type of issues that B&I deals with, since this is a public safety and employee rights issue. Plus the parking lot bills have always gone to Public Safety and everyone in Austin thought it would go back to Homeland Security & Public Safety this session.

Chas.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Friendswood, TX
    Are yall seriously getting your vehicles checked at work? Im just wondering. Id like to find a job that handbook doesnt mention guns so i can CC. Not only guns in the parking lot.

The reports we have received indicate actually searching cars is far more common in certain industries such as the petrochemical industry that frequently uses dogs. The majority of our complaints come from people who won't violate company policy for fear of losing their jobs. Some have cited a concern that coworkers know or suspect they have a CHL or that they are a gun owner and they fear any report by another employee will result in a search of their car.

Texas law creates very few off-limits locations for CHLs or non-CHLs with guns in their cars, but unwarranted and unfair company policies have effectively disarmed many tens of thousands of Texans in their commutes to and from work. Often these commutes cover long distances and/or are made with the employee's children in the car. Texans shouldn't be rendered defenseless during these times.

Chas.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I cant speak for the gander, but yes I have.
    First off, you need to understand I ride around with a 12 gauge and a 45 in my vehicles all the time. The majority of the time my dog is in the front seat.
    The first "search" that was attempted on me was on a British Petroleum location. I always lock my truck doors and leave it running. " The dog like the AC".
    The BP asshole said he needed to search my truck! I asked what for? After he mention guns I said Look in the window! My 12 gauge is between the seats. I have nothin to hide form anyone and will not be disarmed! IF people dont like guns, they shouldnt expect me to show up.
    The second time I got searched and I actually allowed them to look in my truck was at a refinery. :ohnoes:
    They didnt find anything though.
    I dont like the idea of guns being illegal anywhere. The action a person takes with a gun should be the only thing that's illegal.
    I would actually love to see a law passed that would make it a punishable offense for anyone to even " run their idiot mouth" about a gun. A law that prevents disarmament.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I'm in the business consulting industry. Our policy at works states that we can't bring ANY weapons to work, but we're on our own for parking so it doesn't matter about the car. I have to disarm before I go into our office or a client site. I've told my boss(es) before that I will comply, but if something happens I'm going to use them as a human shield. They laughed it off...nervously...because they knew I wasn't joking. LOL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Friendswood, TX
    HB681 has a public hearing scheduled for Monday, Feb. 28th. Thanks to everyone who called and sent a fax. We need to keep the pressure on, but now we need to ask the committee members to vote the bill out of committee favorably during Monday's hearing. We don't want it left pending; it's a delay tactic.

Thanks for a job well done!
    Chas.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Friendswood, TX
    I've told my boss(es) before that I will comply, but if something happens I'm going to use them as a human shield. They laughed it off...nervously...because they knew I wasn't joking. LOL

I love it! This reminds me of one of my former law partners who didn't like guns and didn't want one in his home. Whenever he had to go to a "bad" part of town to interview a witness or client, he'd stop by my office and say, "come take a ride with me."

Chas.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I love it! This reminds me of one of my former law partners who didn't like guns and didn't want one in his home. Whenever he had to go to a "bad" part of town to interview a witness or client, he'd stop by my office and say, "come take a ride with me."

Chas.
    Nice. Typical hypocritical anti-gun id-jit!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Charles....welcome to my little world. As you can tell, I'm a regular here. I'm glad to see that you've been treated respectfully and without rancor - unlike the welcome you yourself accorded me on the Texas CHL board.
    As to the bill - why wasn't it written (as least the way I read it) in a way that would have covered a personal vehicle as an extension of the home? The way it reads to me, you're attempting to dictate a property owners' conduct within the confines of their property line. I personally wouldn't accept that, no matter the "good intent". Make the vehicle an extension of the home...different story, and one which most property owners could likely have found palatable.
    Unless, as is quite possible, I misread the proposed legislation.

Top Bottom