Target Sports

Gun Fraud - and the heck with Kalifornia!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas yankee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    I've bought guns online before from reputable dealers like Buds and other places, as well as from individuals on some of the online marketplaces - maybe I'm lucky, or careful enough, but I never had a deal go bad - a few things weren't quite as the seller represented them, but nothing really major. The name of the website where I was defrauded isn't important - there are bad guys everywhere, and like they say, "Let the Buyer Beware", so this situation is mostly on me - I got caught up in something that snared some other guys, too, and the money I lost, while significant, isn't the end of the world for me - not by a long shot. I'm here today because I'm really disappointed in me, mad at myself, but I've even more frustrated with the State of California, where the seller was located.

I saw a gun online, the price was good (not crazy good, just a bit better than fair) and I wanted the gun - contacted the guy, sent the money (PO Money Order), and the deal started falling apart. I never got the gun, and looking back, there were plenty of warning signs that I didn't see at the time - so like I said, aside from the guy being a criminal, it's mostly on me - I'm mad at myself cause I was so stupid with it - even worse, I'm usually pretty skeptical, and usually don't trust people, especially with money stuff. So, I'm mad at me, but I'll get over it and it was a good lesson to learn - like Dave Ramsey says, it was a "stupid tax".

I had a the residential address where I sent the money, so I got the Union City PD involved - they were at first reluctant to pursue the fraud as aggressively as I thought they should, but after a few calls to the higher ups, the case was investigated by the PD, the guy was arrested, he plead guilty or no contest, and he was sentenced to jail time and probation. I was told that California mandates that restitution must be paid in these kinds of cases, so I filled out the forms and waited for the restitution checks to roll in - big surprise, I did receive two checks totaling about 1\4 of the amount I was defrauded of, and then nothing else. I called today and an attorney in the DA's Restitution Recovery office told me that there was another hearing in the case (no notice to me, the defrauded person), and that because the guilty party's father made the case that his poor son was a victim himself (someone else was allegedly scamming the guy that scammed me), and the son had some kind of mental defect or diminished capacity or something like that, the Judge ordered that the balance was stricken (reduced to $0.00), and idiot son was off the hook and I was up the creek. I can't even go after the guy in civil court. The attorney also told me that the judge referenced something about an "illegal firearms transaction", even though I go through my FFL every time I buy or sell a gun - maybe the Judge is an illegal immigrant and hearing cases is part of his "path to citizenship".

I thought of taking out an ad or paying a guy to wear a sandwich sign in front of the court house castigating the Judge and the guilty party, but then I'd probably be the guilty party, and because I'm from Texas where we like guns and punishing bad guys, well, there's that, too.

How you folks that live in California deal with this kind of stuff on a daily basis I just can't understand.
    Texas SOT

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Eff that state.

If I didn’t have to go there for business, I’d never set foot there again.

I choose to not do business with companies located there if I can help it.

Once I leave my day job, I don’t plan on ever going back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I do business with folks however they are rated very highly and have a lot of sales. If they are not rated on a site or they have very few sales I pass it up. I have purchased an AR15 from a private individual in North Carolina but he was highly rated with no blemishes on his record. He sent it to an FFL here and the deal was done. Otherwise, If the other person is close enough we meet in a safe place.

tinplas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    San Antonio
    I read somewhere to always use postal money orders and signature required postage. Any fraud would be investigated by post master General office. I think they said it gives better options to go after the guy. Maybe you could have gotten him on federal charges as well. Sorry you lost out.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I only buy from individuals when from a forum with which I am familiar and the individual has an excellent trading record (and more than just one or two sales). So far so good.

Sorry you got robbed. Very frustrating.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm a bit skeptical of buying used guns online. If it's used, I want to look at it up close. It's too easy to make pictures look better then it really is.

For new, I check out reviews, especially on forums for places I haven't bought from before. I'll pay a little extra for reputable sites.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I read somewhere to always use postal money orders and signature required postage. Any fraud would be investigated by post master General office. I think they said it gives better options to go after the guy. Maybe you could have gotten him on federal charges as well. Sorry you lost out.
    I read that's about as reliable as getting your package delivered by the time they promise or not standing in line @ the post office.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman

It would be the Postal Inspectors that investigate it. Not the Postmaster General (head of the Post Service). Postal Inspectors MIGHT be interested if they are contacted. It is a Federal Crime. However getting the Federal prosecutors to actually follow through might be hard.

tinplas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    San Antonio
    It would be the Postal Inspectors that investigate it. Not the Postmaster General (head of the Post Service). Postal Inspectors MIGHT be interested if they are contacted. It is a Federal Crime. However getting the Federal prosecutors to actually follow through might be hard.
    I will DEFINITELY defer to the MAILMAN! I knew it was something like that. Thanks for the clarification. I started using them for online purchases when I don't use credit cards. Figure it couldn't hurt.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I still accept firearms from CA for transfer to our customers.....but will not send any firearms to CA...too much hassle, the gun has to be on the approved list, get permission from some damn goofy government board ect......

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    There is more than enough criminal activity on the Texas gun Boards, why bring them in from the coast. I won't go back.

Coop's Dad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2018
    Lorena
    I dealt with it by moving to Texas. I lived there for 26 years- went out to visit someone, met the woman who is now my wife and ended up sticking around.

I finally convinced her to move but the state had to get really off-the-rails crazy before she took it seriously. It was the LBGTQ sex ed classes and cities giving the vote to illegals that sealed the deal.

Reactions: ian
    Top Bottom