• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I guess an old dog can learn new tricks. At 40 years old, I took my first deer today out at my land. Could have had a nice buck, but we've got antler restrictions out there and I can't say for sure he met the 13" spread requirement. I was ecstatic! Then I got to field dress it - learned from watching You-Tube videos.
    Gun Zone Deals

Attachments

• 1349271400212.jpg
      1349271400212.jpg
      44.8 KB · Views: 133
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Ok here's what you do.

Buy a box of the bacon ends and pieces. Get a grinder. Cut the tenderloin out, chop the rest. Throw legs to the dogs.

Mix 50/50 or however you like with the bacon chunks. Add seasoning to your like. Grind it all together and mash into patty size portions. Cook a trial patty to see if you like the flavor. If you don't, seaon or adjust the mix of bacon and deer. If you like it....

Place patties back in the box the bacon pieces came it. Freeze.

Deer sausage is badass!

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    congrats... when did deer season start in your part of the woods?

September 29th, Archery season.
    Took her with my Wicked Ridge Invader crossbow.
    Thanks for all the kind comments folks. Haven't had such an adrenalin rush in a long time. Whole different ball game taking a shot while heart is racing 100 mph than taking shots at the range

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Entrance. I was elevated, so I shot a little higher that I would if I was shooting at less of an angle, but that was quite a bit higher than I was aiming. Not sure if it was the adrenalin affecting my aim or if she dropped at the sound of the crossbow (I've heard they will do that, but can't really say how true that is). No, she didn't run. Dropped right there - think she was paralyzed, cause she was kicking her front legs, but nothing from the rear.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Entrance. I was elevated, so I shot a little higher that I would if I was shooting at less of an angle, but that was quite a bit higher than I was aiming. Not sure if it was the adrenalin affecting my aim or if she dropped at the sound of the crossbow (I've heard they will do that, but can't really say how true that is). No, she didn't run. Dropped right there - think she was paralyzed, cause she was kicking her front legs, but nothing from the rear.

I was wondering about the paralysis....looks like you might have gotten a spine hit. Nice work.

I have never bow hunted, but I've seen plenty of hunting shows where the deer do often flinch and drop a bit as you've heard.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My first bow deer is my favorite ever.

I accidentally spilled doe in heat sauce on my boot before I left for the stand. Almost all the way to the stand, I could hear something following me. I would shine my light with a red lense, but couldn't see anything. I really thought it was a big cat.

When I got to my hunting spot, I pulled out the 35mm film container with doe juice, and saw her when I looked between my legs behind me. It was light enough by that time. I clipped an arrow on the string. Then raised up and drew all in one motion. Shot, but thought I missed. She ran off and I found my arrow which appeared clean.

I climbed up in the stand and settled in. Then a few minutes later saw her head laying on the ground. She had run just over a hill about 40 yds away. One of my proudest hunting moments.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Congrats. I'm just getting into archery and have yet to take a deer on a bow but have been hunting for years and that rush of adrenaline is something else.

I went out today and saw over 20 deer with some coming as close as 3 yards (I literally could have spit on her) but didn't see anything big enough or old enough to shoot.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

Top Bottom