• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ray

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Houston
    First, I want to apologize in advance if this has been covered, I just haven't come across it yet.

What is the meaning of the American Flag with gold tassels around the edges? Here is what I have read, NO OFFICIAL SOURCES:
    1) This is called the Admiralty Flag
    2) When displayed in a court room it signifies military jurisdiction and military law not civilian law is in effect and constitutional due process does not apply
    3) In displaying this flag outside of a courtroom the implication is that martial law in in effect.
    4) The Supreme Court has ruled that this type of flag should not be displayed in state or federal courts or in any court other than a military one.

Before anyone blows up at me, none of the sources I have read seem too legitimate, but there must be an official meaning? I am NOT stating that any of the points listed above are true or accurate, nor am i saying they are inaccurate, I am simply trying to determine what IS accurate.

Anyone have an official answer here?

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Found this:

• Appearance of Fringe on the Flag
      • According to the Army Study Guide website, gold fringe appeared on the American flag as early as 1835. Officially adopted for use on flags in 1895, the gold adornment is not original to the flag's design. The fringe is generally used on ceremonial flags for indoor use or special services, and is optional. Outdoor flags usually don't have fringe, as it would deteriorate rapidly in inclement weather.
      Legal Discussion

• To clarify use of the fringe, a 1925 Attorney General's opinion states: "The fringe does not appear to be regarded as an integral part of the flag, and its presence cannot be said to constitute an unauthorized addition to the design prescribed by statute." There is no record of an act of Congress or executive order which requires or prohibits use of the fringe.
      Custom or Meaning

• It is customary to adorn a flag for ceremonial use with fringe to make it look more dramatic and official, and it has been a custom through the ages to make military flags dramatic and eye catching. Fringe on flags has been a standard for centuries, but it doesn't denote any special meaning when added to the American flag. It is strictly for adornment.

Source: What Does the Gold Fringe on the American Flag Mean? | eHow.com

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I never really thought about that fringe but it does bring up an interesting question. What if someone wanted to put peace signs or Justin Bieber stickers on the flag. Isn't that disrespectful? Fringe may be beautiful to some but does it belong on our flag?

Flash

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I never really thought about that fringe but it does bring up an interesting question. What if someone wanted to put peace signs or Justin Bieber stickers on the flag. Isn't that disrespectful? Fringe may be beautiful to some but does it belong on our flag?

Flash

From this page: USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - United States Code

is this portion:
    [h=4]§176. Respect for flag[/h] No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
    • (a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
    • (b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
    • (c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
    • (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
    • (e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
    • (f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
    • (g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
    • (h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
    • (i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
    • (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
    • (k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

So, the best I can figure is that the fringe is an adornment that borders the flag. But placing any design or device on the actual flag itself is still prohibited.

Funny, the actual flag code mentions nothing about the fringe though.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    • (i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

Like American flag napkins or paper plates on the 4th of July? No pillows embroidered with American flags? I think there's a bunch of little old ladies around the country that we may need to round up and set straight Seriously, these parts sound a little over the top.

• (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

Oh no, say it ain't so Evel Knieval!

Attachments

• evel_knievel240.jpg
      evel_knievel240.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 113

Ray

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Houston
    Found this:

• Appearance of Fringe on the Flag
      • According to the Army Study Guide website, gold fringe appeared on the American flag as early as 1835. Officially adopted for use on flags in 1895, the gold adornment is not original to the flag's design. The fringe is generally used on ceremonial flags for indoor use or special services, and is optional. Outdoor flags usually don't have fringe, as it would deteriorate rapidly in inclement weather.
      Legal Discussion

• To clarify use of the fringe, a 1925 Attorney General's opinion states: "The fringe does not appear to be regarded as an integral part of the flag, and its presence cannot be said to constitute an unauthorized addition to the design prescribed by statute." There is no record of an act of Congress or executive order which requires or prohibits use of the fringe.
      Custom or Meaning

• It is customary to adorn a flag for ceremonial use with fringe to make it look more dramatic and official, and it has been a custom through the ages to make military flags dramatic and eye catching. Fringe on flags has been a standard for centuries, but it doesn't denote any special meaning when added to the American flag. It is strictly for adornment.
    Source: What Does the Gold Fringe on the American Flag Mean? | eHow.com
    Seems much more realistic, and thanks for that... as I said in the original post, I just didn't know what was real.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    the Gold Fringe thing has been on the 'net since the beginning. I can't believe it still pops up from time to time.

I'm not worried about it, as I've seen nothing that supports #'s 2 or 3.

Now what is curious is this....
    (g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

obama11.jpg

Barack-Obama-American-Flag.jpg

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    FLAG Martial Law; "Pursuant to 4 U.S.C. chapter 1, §§1, 2, & 3; Executive Order 10834, August 21, 1959; 24 F.R.6865; a military flag is a flag that resembles the regular flag of the United States, except that it has a YELLOW FRINGE border on three sides. The president of the United States designates this deviation from the regular flag, by executive order, and in his capacity as Commander-in-Chief.

FLAG Martial Law;The Placing of a fringe on the national flag, the dimensions of the flag and the arrangement of the stars in the union are matters of detail not controlled by statute, but are within the discretion of the President as commander in Chief of the Army and Navy." 34 Ops. Atty. Gen. 83.

President, Dwight David Eisenhower, by Executive Order No.10834, signed on August 21, 1959 and printed in the Federal Register at 24 F.R. 6865, pursuant to law, stated that: "A military flag is a flag that resembles the regular flag of the United States, except that it has a Yellow Fringe border on three sides."

FLAG Martial law; "The use of such a fringe is prescribed in current Army Regulation no. 260-10." 34 Ops. Atty. . Gen. 483, 485.

FLAG Martial law; "Ancient custom sanctions the use of the fringe on regimental colors and standards, but there seems to be no good reason or precedent for its use on other flags." The Adjutant General of the Army, March 28, 1924, (1925); 34 Ops. Atty. Gen. 483, 485.

DISPLAY OF MILITARY FLAG
    National flags listed below are for indoor display and for use in ceremonies and parades. For these purposes the United States flag will be rayon banner cloth, trimmed on three sides with golden yellow fringe, 2 1/2 inches wide. It will be the same size as the flags displayed or carried with it.

Authorization for indoor display
    Each military courtroom Any courtroom that displays these flags behind the Judge is a military courtroom. You are under military law and not constitutional law, or common law, or civil law, or statute law.

Restrictions "The following limitations and prohibitions are applicable to flags guidons, streamers, and components."

Unauthorized use of official flags, guidons, and streamers. Display or use of flags, guidons, and streamers or replicas thereof, including those presently or formerly carried by U.S. Army units, by other than the office, individual, or organization for which authorized, is prohibited except as indicated in below.

Use only by recognized United States Army division associations . . . ." United States Army Regulation AR 640-10, October 1, 1979

According to Army Regulations, (AR 840-10, Oct. 1, 1979.) "the Flag is trimmed on three sides with Fringe of Gold, 2 1/2 inches wide," and that, "such flags are flown indoors, ONLY in military courtrooms." And that the Gold Fringed Flag is not to be carried by anyone except units of the United States Army, and the United States Army division associations."

THE AUTHORITY FOR FRINGE ON THE FLAG IS SPECIFIED IN ARMY REGULATIONS,
    BUT ONLY FOR THE NATIONAL (MILITARY) FLAG !

The U.S. Attorney General has stated: "The placing of a gold fringe on the national flag, the dimensions of the flag, and the arrangements of the stars in the union are matters of detail not controlled by statute, but are within the discretion of the President as Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy . . . ancient custom sanctions the use of fringe on regimental colors and standards, but there seems to be no good reason or precedent for its use on other flags . . . the use of such a fringe is prescribed in current Army Regulations, No. 260-10." (See 34 Ops. Atty. Gen. 483 & 485) The only statute or regulation, in the United States, prescribing a yellow fringed United States flag is Army Regulation No. 260-10, making it a military flag.

By Army Regulation 260-10, the gold fringe may be used only on regimental "colors," the President's flag, for military courts martial, and the flags used at military recruiting centers. "A military flag emblem of a nation, usually made of cloth and flown from a staff; FROM A MILITARY STANDPOINT flags are of two general classes...those flown from stationary masts over army posts, and those carried by troops in formation. The former are referred to by the general name of flags. The later are called colors when carried by dismounted troops. COLORS AND STANDARDS are more nearly square than flags and are made of silk, with a knotted FRINGE OF YELLOW ON THREE SIDES. . .USE OF A FLAG -- THE MOST GENERAL AND APPROPRIATE USE OF THE FLAG IS AS A NATIONAL SYMBOL OF AUTHORITY AND POWER." (National Encyclopedia, Vol. 4)

The adornments (FINIAL) on the top of the flag pole are for military use only. The gold eagle is for the use of the President of the United States only, and only in time of war. The gold spear ball is for military recruiting centers only. The gold acorn is for military parades only. (Army Regulation 840-10, chapter 8).

Top Bottom