• ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Girls Said They Wanted Bows..Archery

Got them setup for Christmas. 2 bows, and a 2 day camp. Here they are this AM doing JOAD. Older one got 200 at 9 meters the younger 75 at 9 meters.

Junior Olympic Archery Development (JOAD) is a program of USA Archery that teaches archery to young people, provides great opportunities for awarding achievement.

They went this morning for their first time. Older scored a 200 at 9 meters and Younger a 75 and had a bunch of fun. Glad a place like this is so close.

Texas SOT

Last edited:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Older Girl

Pins kids earn and scores to get them.

NAAJOADrequirements~~element46.jpg

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Where was this? Coincidentally, I got the older daughter a Bear Apprentice 2 compound bow for Christmas. Went to Academy in Tomball to get it set up by Butch - my bro-in-law has been bowhunting for years and recommended him. Anyway, she was shooting 3" - 5" groups at 10 yards when we left, and practice will tighten that up. I'd like to get her involved in some sort of club or league so that she has something to use it for besides plinking in the yard.

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    I've been looking to do the same with my girls that are about the same size as yours. I've had a little trouble finding a bow that would fit them. What bow did you get your kids?

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I've been looking to do the same with my girls that are about the same size as yours. I've had a little trouble finding a bow that would fit them. What bow did you get your kids?
    I'm no expert. Here's what I found.

First Level of financial commitment?

$25.00 and under - PVC Bow. I made a bunch of these for Christmas gifts for kids for under $6.00 each including one arrow this year.
    Check out youtube on how to make these. It's addicting.

$50.00 - PSE Snake. Can be had at Cabela's for $40ish online. Left and right eyed shooters same bows.

Ok, now we start having to invest. $100 for the bow, $25.00 for arrows, $40.00 for sights, $35.00 for backstop\target etc.

For target shooting recurves the Samick (Brand) Polaris (Model) seem to be the most recommended bows out there for beginners. Many "house brand" beginner bows are just relabeled Samick Polaris bows they are so popular. They have everything a kid needs in a bow and can grow up with them. You can even buy heaver limbs for around $60 as the kid grows.

Find out what eye domination your kids have. Most of the time, you want to go with the eye domination when buying the bow. So my left handed, right eyed girl shoots a right hand bow, my right handed left eyed girl shoots a left hand bow.

Tip to tip sizes come in 48", 54", and 62". Most kids start out at a 20#(pound) pull. Heck, for adults 20lbs is great to start at. No need to be manly, better to be accurate.

Here's where I got my bows. L.L. Bean, their house brand bows are relabeled Samick Polaris. Mine say Samick and L.L. Bean on them. The extras you get are great here. The company is GREAT you get a live person when you call first or second ring and a great no hassle return policy.
    Family Archery Set: Archery | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Use the following guide for selecting a bow:
    48" bow, 20# @ 24" fits kids 7-10
    54" bow, 24# @ 26" fits kids 10-12
    62" bow, 36# or 40# @ 28" fits kids 16-18

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have profound respect for fathers who spend time with their children as they teach them right from wrong. As you work together having "fun", you also bond together, improve communications, foster mutual respect and put values into your kids that will stick with them for life. That is how YOU achieve immortality! KUDOS!

Flash

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've been into archery for a very long time with longbows, recurve bows, compound bows and now crossbows.

I thought about keeping quiet about the use of eye protection but safety won the argument. You might want to work on that at the next session. It's not likely that you'll shatter an arrow with 20 pound draw bows but when an arrow comes apart, leaves the nock at release, or falls off of the rest, it's liable to do anything. Safety glasses are available in kid sizes from industrial or educational suppliers and cost is minimal.

I'm pretty nervous about safety glasses. Long ago, I was standing in a group of kids waiting for a girl to share some candy with us. At the same time, two friends were playing with a suction cup arrow set. They removed the suction cup from the arrow. They had a bad release and it struck that girl in the eye with permanent results. That scream is something that I'll never forget.

Just a thought and not intended to detract from your wonderful interaction with the kids!

Flash

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Did they get the interest in bows from whatever movie that was (sorry, I don't go to the movies, but do remember one with a young girl using a bow and arrow being the hero)? I've seen more and more archery places pop up over the last couple of years. Just wondering what all the factors were that are influencing that.

I'm always a fan of getting kids into hobbies that require mental concentration on the task at hand and some work and practice. Beats sitting in front of the tv or computer all day. Now you've got me wondering why I never did this with my daughter. She started with BB guns, then 22's, now prefers a 9mm, but we never did anything with archery. Looks like a fun time.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Did they get the interest in bows from whatever movie that was (sorry, I don't go to the movies, but do remember one with a young girl using a bow and arrow being the hero)? I've seen more and more archery places pop up over the last couple of years. Just wondering what all the factors were that are influencing that.

I'm always a fan of getting kids into hobbies that require mental concentration on the task at hand and some work and practice. Beats sitting in front of the tv or computer all day. Now you've got me wondering why I never did this with my daughter. She started with BB guns, then 22's, now prefers a 9mm, but we never did anything with archery. Looks like a fun time.

Nope, the youngest had a friend that took some classes. The older just likes to have fun.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I think that my daughter looks at archery as being another challenge, something new to master, and it fits with her tomboy personality. She knows how to act like a lady when it's appropriate, but she can't stand the girly-girly snowflakes who'd be afraid to break a nail doing anything more adventurous than shopping. Two things we share most are music and shooting. We've made many trips to all-ages shows to see local bands, one which she played in for a brief time (couldn't let her travel as much as they did, so that didn't work out) and she's always up for a range trip. Now it looks like I have to get a bow of my own... ;)

Guns, guitars, and now archery - I should find out if my wife and Ted Nugent ever crossed paths!

svqwqc.jpg

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Youngest of my daughters got her Purple Star today & JOAD scoring 106 @ 8 meters and my oldest has progressed getting all the stars at 8 meters, and has earned the black star at 20 meters.

Top Bottom