• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pretarion

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2014
    Hello all. With all that life throws at us, I had to take a 5 year hiatus from guns due to many personal issues. Covid and the economy also played a huge contribution for the hiatus as well. That being said, through the past 5 years, I moved to a different subdivision in the same city I sold my house in. Can those who are willing to give me some guidance on where to begin, be willing to share with me if it is as simple as making an address change with the ATF, or is there more to it than that? Also, does the gun trust I have my NFA items listed in need to be updated or revised in any way? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

davidindallas

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2014
    I was told that any permanent move ( where NFA items are secured) requires address change in state or not.
    Told this by ATF and my NFA attorney at the time.

TexaSOT

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2023
    Arlington, Tx
    If it's all intrastate, you don't technically HAVE to inform the ATF, but they would "like" you to update your address, they have a change of address form on their site as well, but it is not required or "law" to updated it. I'm sure if you asked any agent they'd tell you to update your address, but at the end of the day you aren't going to jail for moving a couple hours down the road.

Interstate gets trickier, even if you have a trust as some states require 1 witness others require 2, etc. if that's the case just work with the trust company and they're help you figure it out.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    It's not required by the ATF if you aren't changing states but I sent in a set of 5320.20s anyway and keep the approved copies with my stamps.

Officer Barney Fife has no clue what federal regs are, and having the address in the 5320.20s match the drivers license or CHL might save you a trip to jail until someone more knowledgeable springs you.

I just filled them out and under 'reason' put permanently moving to a new residence. You already got the items in possession and there's no tax to be paid. Just fire and forget until it comes back approved.

My forms are registered to an individual and not an entity though.

Last edited:

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    It's not required by the ATF if you aren't changing states but I sent in a set of 5320.20s anyway and keep the approved copies with my stamps.

Officer Barney Fife has no clue what federal regs are, and having the address in the 5320.20s match the drivers license or CHL might save you a trip to jail until someone more knowledgeable springs you.

I just filled them out and under 'reason' put permanently moving to a new residence. You already got the items in possession and there's no tax to be paid. Just fire and forget until it comes back approved.

My forms are registered to an individual and not an entity though.
    Texas LeOs are not supposed to enforce Federal gun laws per a law passed by the Texas legislature.

Top Bottom