• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    This coupling event must have been in a foreign country. The US doesn't use cushion bumpers. If they need to cushion a car they use cushioned drawbars. The railcars use self coupling drawbars and the person aiding them stands outside the rail.

Yes, with the cars here you’d just get coupled up in between the cars. I’ve had some close calls but it’s been when it’s colder out. Those cars don’t make as much noise in the cooler weather and the loaded cars are less noisy. One of the yards in SA has very little room be tween the tracks. It’s a nice surprise when they get kicked into a car right behind you only a couple feet away.

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Yes, with the cars here you’d just get coupled up in between the cars. I’ve had some close calls but it’s been when it’s colder out. Those cars don’t make as much noise in the cooler weather and the loaded cars are less noisy. One of the yards in SA has very little room be tween the tracks. It’s a nice surprise when they get kicked into a car right behind you only a couple feet away.
    I was working the field one night and they threw a car down my way. It had cushion drawbars. It was night. The car hit and I reached in to open and align the coupler and drawbar for the next car. Just as I reached in the drawbar unloaded (the cushion mechanism allows the drawbar to slide into the carriage and then unload very fast) and hit me in the head. I went down fast. The only thing that saved me was the thought that another car was coming and I didn't want to be between the rails. I made myself fall outside of the rails.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    acb78d2dd538a92b600c82e51cab1388.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• acb78d2dd538a92b600c82e51cab1388.jpg
      acb78d2dd538a92b600c82e51cab1388.jpg
      66.8 KB · Views: 3,103

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    I was working the field one night and they threw a car down my way. It had cushion drawbars. It was night. The car hit and I reached in to open and align the coupler and drawbar for the next car. Just as I reached in the drawbar unloaded (the cushion mechanism allows the drawbar to slide into the carriage and then unload very fast) and hit me in the head. I went down fast. The only thing that saved me was the thought that another car was coming and I didn't want to be between the rails. I made myself fall outside of the rails.

Very fortunate you weren’t knocked unconscious.

Top Bottom