• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TwinGlocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Houston
    Federal court says concealed gun permits not protected by 2nd Amendment | Fox News

A federal appeals court has ruled that permits allowing people to carry concealed weapons are not protected by the Second Amendment. The ruling by the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals was issued Friday in a case involving Washington state resident Gray Peterson.

A federal judge in 2011 tossed out Peterson's lawsuit filed against Denver and the state's Department of Public Safety. Peterson claims that being denied a concealed weapons permit because he was not a Colorado resident violated his Second Amendment rights to bear firearms.
    DK Firearms

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    ....... The ****? What is it about the "right to keep and bear arms" thing that's so God damn hard to understand?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    In its ruling, the three-judge panel cited a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms is not infringed by laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons."

"In light of our nation's extensive practice of restricting citizen's freedom to carry firearms in a concealed manner, we hold that this activity does not fall within the scope of the Second Amendment's protections," the judges ruled.

Interesting.....................

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    What SC case were they citing, and how long ago was that ruling made?

That said, at least they had the balls to admit that they're restricting freedom by pulling this shit.

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    That was Heller? Weird... Could've sworn they ruled in favor of CC, not against it. My memory must be worse than I thought here.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston

Reading things like this from such a high court makes it extremely difficult to take these people seriously. So what, they want to use the 2nd Amendment to somehow force people to carry openly? Can't put a gun in your purse if your a woman? I'd needa carry a Glock 23 openly like the police? Well as much as I'd rather carry concealed if I lived in a place where only open carry was allowed I'd be carrying openly everywhere I went, just like I do concealed now. Makes people uncomfortable? Thank your idiot federal appeals court for that.

This ruling is a disgrace because requiring people to carry openly is not even the ultimate goal, but denying a WA resident a CCP in Colorado is. Why? Just because they're anti gun and want to deny as many 2A rights as possible. That's what all this is about, control. A ridiculous amount of valuable time and money spent just because the anti gun left has an ego that never seems to be satisfied.

Last edited:

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Honestly, I prefer OC to CC, but that's simply because I have yet to find a comfortable method of concealed carry. The argument that a CCW/CHL holder makes people "nervous" is simply irrational IMHO. Your right to be comfortable does -not- extend to you telling me that I can't carry my legally-owned, licensed handgun, and I'm not about to leave an area where I have every right to be and where CC/OC is legally allowed just because you get nervous around inanimate objects.

Last edited:

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Nothing yet, still a few months too young. I've experimented with almost every CC rig out there though, and none of them are comfortable for me. Only thing I haven't tried is an ITP rig, but I don't believe anyone makes those for big, bulky guns like the two I've got (Beretta M9 and Ruger P95, both of which can be concealed in the front pockets of my jeans provided I wear a long-tail shirt), and I just don't have any favorable experience with compact/sub-compact pistols.

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    I meant that in reference to CCW/CHL holders. IIRC you're only "licensed" to carry the type of firearm you qualified with. E.g. if I qualify with my M9, then I can carry any semi-automatic, but can't carry a revolver (for some stupid reason).

Flat Lander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Sundown
    I meant that in reference to CCW/CHL holders. IIRC you're only "licensed" to carry the type of firearm you qualified with. E.g. if I qualify with my M9, then I can carry any semi-automatic, but can't carry a revolver (for some stupid reason).

Not in Texas. If you qualify with a semiauto then you can carry both. But if you qualify with a revolver you can only carry a revolver.

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Well, that was a pointless, arguably immature/assholeish post.

Either contribute or stay out, IMHO.

Back on-topic. Am I the only one who would be surprised if Peterson didn't try to fight this decision?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Not in Texas. If you qualify with a semiauto then you can carry both. But if you qualify with a revolver you can only carry a revolver.

Which never made sense to me. Qualify with the one that's usually easier to shoot, carry either. Qualify with the one that's usually harder to shoot, only can carry that.

WTF!? The first time I bought a revolver, one of the reasons was to get some quality trigger control practice.

Top Bottom