• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    My old scale kind of bit the dust and I want one better than the Lee one I have (works pretty well, but not as precise as I'd like).

I'm debating on getting either an RCBS one or maybe a Dillon.

Thoughts, ideas?

thanks.
    Hurley's Gold

Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    I've had my RCBS 5-10 scale for many a year now. Bought a 10-10 scale off another board with the pan missing. E-mailed RCBS about the scale missing and they
    sent me another for Free. I guess I'm partial to an RCBS.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I like most Lee equipment. Don't like their scales, though. Had an older RCBS balance beam, replaced it about 10 years ago with a PACT electronic, and would never willingly go back to a balance beam.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I originally started out with a Dillon D-terminator electronic scale, when that thing went haywire and told me that an over 100% case capacity charge was the measure I was after, I contacted Dillon for a replacement, they told me it needed to be calibrated and sent me a cal. weight. I tried repeatedly to calibrate it to no avail, the only way to get it to work was to add a 5/8 washer to the scale, so it is no longer trusted or in use.
    I bought a RCBS 10-10 and have never looked back, no waiting on the scale to be picky, just calibrate it right and measure the charge, as far as I'm concerned, it's more accurate than the D-terminator.

Don2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    East Texas
    I own a RCBS 10-10 beam scale and a RCBS 1500 electronic with dispenser.
    I love the 10-10 for almost everything. RCBS is hard to beat for their price range...There are better ones out there, but for reloading we don't need much more.

That old 5-10 RCBS scale is a good one, but they quit making them years ago...Its like having half a 10-10 scale. I wish I could find one around to buy.
    A friend of mine who reloads had a 5-10 scale that had a problem, RCBS said to send in the 5-10 scale and they sent him a 10-10 as a replacement..Thats a deal..!!!

Don2

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I may actually have an old 5-10 back at the folks house. If you don't mind waiting a week or two for me to get there and dig around for it, I could send it to you. I'm pretty sure that the pan needs to be calibrated with some shot but that's easy. Let me know, it's an old 5-10, nothing fancy but aught to still work, it's been in storage for 11 years or so.

Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    Besides my 5-10 and 10-10 RCBS scales, I also have and older PACT electronic scale I use when I get a little on the lazy side to weigh, but when I feel the PACT
    scales might be off....I check its calibration to either one of the RCBS beamers to make sure its on its mark. As far as the RCBS beamers, they are also easy to
    re-calibrate. Just add a little lead here and there in the pan and check it to the other beamer. I think a beam scale is important to have on hand in case the PACT goes off in another direction. Had to send off my PACT scale back once, took 1.5 months to get it back...but they fixed it for $15.00. Its about 10 yrs. old.
    A beamer is hard to beat....no batteries needed ...just patience.

Smokewagon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    West Texas
    I bought a Dillon beam scale when I bought my Dillon set up. It's made by Ohaus. Though very much like the one I had with my RCBS press, the Dillon just seems better. Might have even been made by the same company, but there seems to be a difference. Not much to these things, but once set up and in use, I never have to adjust anything.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Not to change the thread, but I have a spare Dillion beam scale I would sell if you don't find something else you like. It is brand new and still in the Dillion box.
    I bought a 550B press from a guy last summer. This scale and many other things came with the deal. The nice thing about a beam scale is that they will always work, unless you abuse them. Electronic scales can be very unpredictable and subject to weight variations due to small wind inputs, static electricity, and battery life [unlesss you use the ac adaptor]

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    I have a Lee beam scale practically new and still in the box that was given to me...I use it occasionally to check the accuracy of my electronic scale.

Top Bottom