• ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Very happy this turned out okay for you. As has been stated, I'm thinkin' you were just a tad nicer about this than a lot of other individuals would have been. Myself included. I think though that a call to IA might still be in order. If for nothing else, that this sort of incident doesn't happen to another individual.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    yea pops but sometimes you just have to pick your battles
    No doubt about that, and some times you have to take the risk for the greater good.

Like someone mentioned, I'm not asking for a beheading or even necessarily some kind of discipline (that would depend on the officer's / PDs response), but I would like confirmation they know confiscation was not proper and it won't happen again.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    No doubt about that, and some times you have to take the risk for the greater good.

Like someone mentioned, I'm not asking for a beheading or even necessarily some kind of discipline (that would depend on the officer's / PDs response), but I would like confirmation they know confiscation was not proper and it won't happen again.
    Tru_dat tru dat

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    It does not have to be money driven, a police misconduct complaint should not cost the complainant an attorney or any money.

http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/cor/Pubs/polmis.pdf

I am also sure that Terrell Hills has some path to file a complaint against a officer.

Some interesting reading on this site.
    A Police Misconduct Victim's Guide | PoliceMisconduct.net

You might find an hungry attorney that will take it for a portion of a possible settlement. Few hours of his time to file a lawsuit, their insurance may want a quick cheap settlement, and not risk a huge jury award. Then you could pay for your girls insurance. :)

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Good! You're much more forgiving than I would be but, as long as the resolution is satisfactory to you, all is well.
    same here.
    I would have wanted someone to explain who was right and who was wrong and state the law in that situation.

glad you got your gun back at no cost to you OP

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    We'll, every stop to think it was an honest mistake on the officer's part? I doubt you know every law in the state, I sure as hell don't; but some folks expect cops to!
    /QUOTE]

Ignorance of the law isnt a defense, when I break the law.

glad you got your gun back. But that's bs.

Last edited:

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    If the OP is accurate he has been screwed.

There is no requirment for anyone to inform a Peace Officer of the possession of the CHL and handgun unless the Peace Officer demands that the person identify himself. OP, if the ppeace officer asked who you were before you offered the CHL, then you violated the above quoted section of the government code. However, it is a violation with no penalty. There is no penal code violation for failure to notify, and no action a LEO can lawfully take if you do not display your CHL.

I would ask for a face to face meeting with the Chief. His officers need an education.

Your fourth amendment right was violated. An unreasonable and unlawful seizure of your property.

I would also consult with an attorney.

THIS^ They essentially stole your weapon. I would demand an apology and call it even.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    You did nothing wrong and the chief needs to educate their officers that the people they are protecting have constitutional rights that shall not be infringed. Read up on the law regarding police stops and when to show identification. Print it out and call the chief to set up a meeting. Technically if you had enough money you could file theft charges against that officer, probably get thrown out but it would be another way to educate him.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    C'Mon folks ... don't suggest the OP to death till he feels amped up enough to do something he really might not want to do.

Each of us are wired different. Some want restitution for a missed parking spot in a near empty lot and other just find another spot.

The end game for the OP turned out just fine.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    If the OP is accurate he has been screwed.

There is no requirment for anyone to inform a Peace Officer of the possession of the CHL and handgun unless the Peace Officer demands that the person identify himself. OP, if the ppeace officer asked who you were before you offered the CHL, then you violated the above quoted section of the government code. However, it is a violation with no penalty. There is no penal code violation for failure to notify, and no action a LEO can lawfully take if you do not display your CHL.

I would ask for a face to face meeting with the Chief. His officers need an education.

Your fourth amendment right was violated. An unreasonable and unlawful seizure of your property.

I would also consult with an attorney.

Out of curiosity, if I am asked who I am, & at that time hand the officer my license & CHL, have I still violated the law?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

Gopher711

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got stopped and forgot I had a pistol in truck , so only showed my DL , he ran it and found I was a CHL holder and asked if I was carrying ? Then it hit me I had my briefcase with a small pistol in it , so I told him ?.Crap ! Yes sir I forgot to tell you ! DPS gave me a ticket for failure to notify ..it was around a $150 fine , but never confiscated my weapon or acted abnormal . Also joined Texas Law Shield . For $10 a month if you daily carry this is good insurance !

Top Bottom