• ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    My truck was tinted by the previous owner. Harder to judge things at night. Rolling down the window has kept me out of several wrecks.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Thanks for the form. I do a ton of driving for work and I'm gonna fill that out. I just had LASIK this year and iI want to make sure my eyes are protected. My wife has migraines and is very sensitive to light so the tint helps. its 19% and was on the truck when I bought it. It doesn't effect my driving negatively and does more good than harm. Another good thing about tint is that people can't see inside my truck. That plus being lifted keeps eyes off whatever is inside. I haven't gotten broken into yet.

The point of my story was that if you are courteous to the officer that pulls you over (roll all the windows down, turn off your vehicle, keep your hands on the top of the wheel, with your dl and insurance ready, and answer his questions politely) you can get off with a warning if you are in the wrong.

The other issue is being a dick. If you want to be a dick to a police officer on or off duty it's going to cost you sometime.

conclusion- I like my tint, don't be a dick

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    What is an inspection house?

Did you or your physician lie on the form? If not, how would Salty get the exemption?

And how would of those keep him from getting stopped? He got a warning.
    I'm not worried about getting stopped for tint. It only happens in sketchy areas so the officers can check you out. There's stereotypes about who has dark windows and why they have them. My reasons are as follows- it's easier for me to see through than squinting eyes, it keeps my left arm from getting sunburned and getting hot riding in the truck all day, people can't see inside my truck when it's parked, it looks good on a black truck.

Im in sure my eye doctor will sign this for me.

I really don't want to have my tint redone. It's 19% not 5 or 10% and I don't drive a lot after dark.

hink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Amarillo
    Chupacabra, seeing that LEO vehicles can be equipped from the factory with armor, searchlights, and a PA system, I'm not buying that dark tint is a danger to the officer during a traffic stop. Utilize the tools provided. There shouldn't be a problem to ask the vehicle occupants to exit for the duration of the stop if the LEO feels there is a danger to his person.

Recoil, what about vehicles not equipped with power windows? Should I be jumping around to roll down windows while the officer is walking up to my vehicle? Take into account I've already been legally profiled for having dark windows....

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    It is a valid reason....for the safety of the officers doing the traffic stop.

You see, that's the flaw. It presupposes that everyone on the road is or will be a potential threat to law enforcement officers. A person being stopped solely for tint violation is like stopping and frisking someone for weapons.

Unamerican bullshit.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Chupacabra, seeing that LEO vehicles can be equipped from the factory with armor, searchlights, and a PA system, I'm not buying that dark tint is a danger to the officer during a traffic stop. Utilize the tools provided. There shouldn't be a problem to ask the vehicle occupants to exit for the duration of the stop if the LEO feels there is a danger to his person.

Recoil, what about vehicles not equipped with power windows? Should I be jumping around to roll down windows while the officer is walking up to my vehicle? Take into account I've already been legally profiled for having dark windows....

You really think LEO are getting armored vehicles? Do you have any idea how much it would cost just a for a windshield?

Also, no manufacturer (ford, chevy, dodge, etc) offers a factory armored vehicle to anyone, that work is done to vehicles after purchase by other companies.

Aside from that, it's more about decreased visibility at night (looking out, not in) than officer safety.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Law aside, Is it really a big safety hazard while driving? Seems ridiculous to me.

Yes, it interferes with being able to safely operate the vehicle, especially at night. That is why there is a limit.

Back in my youth, before it was outlawed, I had dark tint on my car. It was near impossible to see other vehicles after dark, other than their headlights. If a vehicle was next to me on a multi-lane road, it was difficult to see it.

Plus, it helps to see drivers in other vehicles. In some cases it confirms that they see you by the fact they are looking at you. If you can't see them, you can't be sure if they see you. Anyone who has ever ridden a motorcycle knows the best way to recognize if a driver can see you is seeing them looking at you. It's not an absolute, but it is a common safety tactic for motorcycle riders.

So as you can see there are multiple reasons why extremely dark tint is a safety issue for everyone on the roads, it is not just an "officer safety" thing. If it were, Texas would not allow any level of tint on the back window or back side windows, where officers usually first see occupants. It is only the windshield and front side windows that are regulated, so there goes that theory!

hink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Amarillo
    Younggun, roll to page 4.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...14/14_PoliceInterceptorBro_SglePgs_lrRAIN.pdf

Of course we're not discussing specialty vehicles like the H1 or MRAP, right? Because militarizing a police force has its' own set of issues.

Since you brought up the possibility of the tint law being for the purpose of operator safety; that doesn't hold much water. The tint is only allowed to be 25% on the side windows, except for those with a medical exemption, taxi/bus/limo vehicles, and, of course, LEO vehicles. Check the exemptions part of the link below:

TxDPS - VI Window Tint Program

So now we're back to the justification - it's permitting the LEO the ability to legally profile based on the appearance of a vehicle, regardless the actual operation.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Wonder what the laws are on variable tint? It certainly makes the safety issue moot. It can be dark during the day and clear at night.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Yes, it interferes with being able to safely operate the vehicle, especially at night. That is why there is a limit...

That kind of makes sense as far as night time visibility. Still think it should be left up to the driver, but I can see the thought path.

Wonder what the laws are on variable tint? It certainly makes the safety issue moot. It can be dark during the day and clear at night.

This would be the way to go. I've never heard of a product like that. Of course, I have no windows at all half the time in my Jeep.

Top Bottom