• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Alright... it's time to modify the EBR.

I ordered a Yankee-Hill gas block/flip-up front sight to replace the standard FSP. Am I correct in assuming that I don't have to do anything but remove the old FSP and install the flip-up in its place, and that there are no o-rings, gaskets, washers, or other IBP (itty-bitty arts) to be concerned with?

I also have the Magpul aluminum trigger guard, MOE vertical grip, Troy folding rear battle sight, and the hardest thing to find in stock anywhere - 20-round FDE PMags.
    Lynx Defense

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Do the two front sight pins and gas tube pin qualify? These will need to be removed, so a bench block (either homemade or store bought) and the proper punches are needed. Remember that tapered pins are one way, you can't drive them out from the wrong side. Also, you are going to have to remove your flash hider in order to slide the sights off/slide the new one on, so you might consider a new crush washer when reinstalling the FH. Lastly, removing the gas tube from the sight base can be a royal pain. Take care not to damage it...penetrating oil may help.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Do the two front sight pins and gas tube pin qualify? These will need to be removed, so a bench block (either homemade or store bought) and the proper punches are needed. Remember that tapered pins are one way, you can't drive them out from the wrong side. Also, you are going to have to remove your flash hider in order to slide the sights off/slide the new one on, so you might consider a new crush washer when reinstalling the FH. Lastly, removing the gas tube from the sight base can be a royal pain. Take care not to damage it...penetrating oil may help.

Hmmm. I don't think I have a punch that small (gas tube pin). Do you happen to know the size off hand? For the record, the MOE hand guard has to be removed as well to get to both of the FSP pins.

As far as the flash hider goes, I've already replaced the original A2 unit with a Vortex G6-A2 (and no crush washer is needed for that particular hider, so that's no big deal. The pins are left-to-right to punch out, correct?

If it looks like I'm gonna hose it up, I'll just take it down to powderhorn and see if their smith can do it while I wait.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Do the two front sight pins and gas tube pin qualify?

Today, I got my enhanced trigger guard, the FVG, and the Troy rear sight, and successfully installed everything without hurting myself or the rifle (my wife was surprised - grin). Unless those three pins on the FSP are going to be problems, I should be able to change it out without going to a smith. It turns out that I do have the necessary punches (I even had a sufficiently long hex wrenches for the FVG).

Looks like this AR-15 maintenance stuff ain't no thang. :)

Top Bottom