• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I've been to dozens of ranges in Texas and not once have I had such a negative experience. As soon as we walked in the guy was barking orders at my girlfriend and then turned to me. His attitude was just sour ... I know what it's like to be in his shoes, but c'mon this was just ridiculous. Extremely rude, aggressive, and cantankerous. It pissed me off so much that I had to remove myself from the range office.

I will NEVER go back to this range.

As far as the range facilities and the range staff ... they appeared to be pretty decent and the range staff seemed laid back. Kinda a shame that one or two individuals are ruining the experience, and that those two individuals are the first thing the customers interact with. The CHL bay is pretty nice, concrete pad with marked distance lines and mobile tables.

I've also never encountered a range that made non-shooters and instructors pay to go out to the firing line. I'm an NRA instructor on top of being an NRA RSO, you'd think that'd be a benefit to have on the range where you are liable for safety. Especially considering that by removing the instructors from the class you are exposing yourself to unnecessary insurance risk.
    Venture Surplus ad

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    I have no problem with safety, and it being enforced. I'm actually very anal retentive when it comes to safety. What I have a problem with is a person representing a business that treats myself, my students, and my business partners in a completely unprofessional, rude, and unreasonable manner. The guy that works the counter, several years ago, nearly physically assaulted one of my CHL instructors, which is a good indicator of the poor attitude I'm referring to. This is completely unacceptable. If I were the business owner, this guy would have been fired years ago.

Would this individual be a big guy or a crotchety old skinny guy?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Would this individual be a big guy or a crotchety old skinny guy?
    The skinny old guy, I'd swear someone shits in his breakfast bowl every morning. Who is he? One of the owners, maybe? I can't imagine his sunny disposition would keep him employed if that weren't the case.
    I think I know the big guy you're talking about. I saw him in a good mood once. ...once

toddlmr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    leander
    Like everyone else, I have been yelled at and talked to rudely by that old man. I just laugh at him cause he is so old and grumpy. He kind of reminds me of Clint Eastwood character in Gran Torino. The range officers only yell at the people who don't follow rules. Don't approach the bench on a cease fire and you'll be OK. Again, don't approach the bench on a cease fire. Every time someone does and gets yelled at .

Portals

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    round rock
    My $0.02
    I am like Randman. I go there to shoot. About the only exchange I have with the workers is: Which range? Are you a member? Card? Pay now.
    I do like the shooters. They are friendly and cooperative.
    I also use the shotgun ranges. They were useful.

No big negative stories, but I have minimal intercourse.
    Yeah, that too!

Bacon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Leander
    I don't see how anyone can have a problem with Eagle Peak. You go in, give them your card and $10, tell them where you want to shoot, they give you a lane, and you go shoot.

The old man is super friendly and helpful anytime I'm buying bullets/primers/powder.

Bacon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Leander
    just had another great experience. Went in yesterday to buy a case of primers. When I got home, I opened it and 2 of the boxes were missing (I should have checked when I bought it). Went back in today and the guy takes me word for it and gives me 2 boxes.

Never questioned me. Just took care of me.

I also love that they carry reloading equipment. So much easier to go there instead of McBrides.

daddySEAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I have gone there for years...they are all business. There must have been a long line of people behind you.
    I had my CHL renewed there.
    I must admit the desk staff was much more laid-back when it was just a sleeply little range in the country, before being "discovered" and swarmed by many hundreds of new customers~!! Being open 365 days a year would tire the staff of any company!
    Weekdays are the time to avoid the crowds...or go Soon after they open at 10 on weekends and holiday mornings.

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    I don't see how anyone can have a problem with Eagle Peak. You go in, give them your card and $10, tell them where you want to shoot, they give you a lane, and you go shoot.

The old man is super friendly and helpful anytime I'm buying bullets/primers/powder.

There's only two individuals there I don't care for. The rest are good to go. Actually, one of the two individuals doesn't say much to me anymore because I called him out on his crap a few times. The other is just a crabby old bastard. The rest are good people.

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    The guy that ticked me off is that big guy with the yankee accent. Other than that no problems what so ever.

Yep, that's him. He's all noise with little thought. I've seen him piss off many customers for no good reason, my boss being one of them. Yankee had the gaul to bark at my boss for throwing his own brass in the trash. That didn't go over well. My boss has 0 tollerance for stupidity.

gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    I was hoping to make it out there to do some shooting soon, I am now very curious as to what kind of experience I will have. Almost makes me wanna jump in the car and head out there LOL

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I've been there maybe 4 or 5 times. When I first got into shooting a few years ago, I was able to go a couple of times on a weekday and it was fine as there were only a handful of others there. The Range Officer had to correct me once when I tried to get a target from my bag during a ceasefire, but he knew I was a noob and wasn't a jerk about it.

I do notice somewhat of a standoff-ish attitude overall, but that's fine I guess. What gets me, and why I don't go anymore, is that I no longer have the opportunity to go during the week and the place is a-hole to elbow packed on weekends. And as someone pointed out, there seemed to be a lot of "groups" there that were using the range as a social hour to impress/embarrass girls. It made me uneasy, plus having people essentially breathing down my neck the whole time wondering when I was gonna give up my lane was not pleasant.

I'd go back on a weekday if I ever get the chance but I'll never even attempt a weekend again.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Agree with some of the comments.... but what is the reasonable alternative in North Austin?

$10. all day
    Pistol 7-25yd
    Rifle 50 - 300yd with golfcart
    Shotgun with clay throwers

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I go there all the time. Stay off your bench during a cease fire and don't point your gun at anyone and no one will yell. The Guy with the Yankee accent is actually a pretty good Guy. Only yelled at me once an I deserved it. The Guy at the counter is pretty laid back to. I have never seen anyone yelled at or corrected that didn't do something they were told not to do. Not to say it hasn't happened, I just haven't seen it happen.

tap talked from a phone yeah im on my phone! it's crazy!

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    ^hey when we going? That yankee guy one time called a hot range and we all yelled theres still a guy down range.. All the guy said was "oops"
    Ive been lucky I havent been there when hes there, been peaceful for awhile.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Eagle Peak and Garland Public Shooting Range are owned by the same guy. His name is Jim (something). He is deeply involved with the TSRA and in getting Texas laws changed to protect private shooting ranges from gun grabbers amd malicious city laws. I shoot at the Garland range and have dealt with him many times. Yes, he can be a sh*t head at times. The guy almost died several years ago when he shot himself in the chest with a customer's pistol after he had worked on it. A few years later a customer shot himself at the range by accident. The guy had a Glock. The pistol came in the old style box that had a cone in the bottom of the box that rested in the trigger guard to restrain the pistol from sliding around in the box. The guy had left the firing line with his Glock loaded and in the box. When he got to his car he opened the trunk and tossed his range bag and Glock box into the trunk. The Glock fired upon impact and shot through the plastic box and hit the customer in the stomach. He later died at the hospital.

The Garland Range is currently fighting a law suit where they are being accussed of stray bullets from the range hitting houses that are adjacent to the range. After the story aired on local TV a neighbor woman from the affected neighborhood came to the range and said she knew of another neighbor's son that shoots in the fall out area down range behind the earth berm. There have been two incidents at the Garland Range. Three or four years ago a guy was hit in the neck while mowing his lawn in Rowlett. The bullet was a .22 caliber bullet and he was about 1 1/2 miles from the range. It lodged in his neck. The latest are stray bullets hitting the houses west of the range. The latest encounter involves .30 caliber bullets that would have had to be fired at more than a 45 degree angle (to the right of center) of the centerline of the range. I am sure anyone shooting at that time would have raised concerns about the shooter's actions if it had happened during business hours. As mentioned above the information the neighbor woman gave to the range was passed on to the Garland Police Department, which has already decided the bullets came from the range and they appear to not be interested in the additional information. The lawyers for the range investigated the information and found the suspected neighbor's son was a felon and is banned by law to even be in pocession of a firearm. A judge during the initial trial gave the range two months to make appropiate corrections to make the range safer. The range added reinforced sloped roofs over the firing line that limit the vertical elevation a shooter can use. They were about to begin the process of raising the height of the dirt berm at the end of the range, when the City of Garland stopped any futher work until the Corp of Engineers could do any enviromental impact study. This study is going to delay any work for as much as 5 months. Rowlett is rumored to be ready to sue Garland over the delay. I guess if I had all of that on my plate, I might be crabby too.

Top Bottom