• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RiverRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2023
    North Texas
    So, you El Paso guys...wake up!

I just created an account here, and would love to maintain some kind of contact from my long lost hometown. I was born at Southwestern General, right at the southern tip of the mountain in the middle '50s. I don't want to tell my life story all at once but I'd sure like to talk about the area I grew up in and familiar things there. It's all waaaaaay different now but I have some great memories of people, places and things around there.

Anyone remember Starkey's Gun Shop?
    Lynx Defense

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I am technically not an El Paso resident but my dad lives there and I last visited him this last summer with my family. My daughter sometimes meet up with Desert 4H team members to shoot skeet and Trap.

TexasFlash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Born at the same hospital, same time frame. I miss shooting in the desert and great mexican food. Left in mid 90's and haven't had a good chile relleno since, lol. Welcome to the forum!

TexasFlash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Go check it out... thousands of acres of irrigated fields raising primarily cotton, alfalfa, and pecans. The spanish missions in the area pre-date the ones in San Antonio, fyi. So I'm thinking, yeah, there's water.

RiverRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2023
    North Texas
    What part of NTX did you land in? It ain't so bad up here in NE Texas. Instead of Juarez we have Dallas.

Somewhere between Fort Worth and Decatur. It was country out here when I first saw it in 1996 and when I set up housekeeping here in 1998. It was still pretty much the same when I bought this place in the same locale in 2004...and now I hear the roar of Fort Worth coming nearer and nearer.

Screw this "progress" BS!

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Somewhere between Fort Worth and Decatur. It was country out here when I first saw it in 1996 and when I set up housekeeping here in 1998. It was still pretty much the same when I bought this place in the same locale in 2004...and now I hear the roar of Fort Worth coming nearer and nearer.

We've got the same shit going on out here - Dallas is creeping eastward steadily...and out here by Cedar Creek Lake we're starting to see it.

RiverRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2023
    North Texas
    I have the feeling I'll be a refugee sometime in the next three or four years. I think I'll have a place to go down near San Saba...or I may head out west toward Graham or even way further---someplace like Post. I dunno. I just know I don't want Fort Worth in my face, and I damn sure don't want a place like El Paso in my face (even though I still love the area).

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country

I grew up in Wise County, and I’m still amazed at all the people and houses every time I go home.

RiverRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2023
    North Texas
    I can imagine how shocking it is if you space your visits out six months at a time.

When I began my final job in 2006, I was commuting on 114 from southeast Wise County to Grapevine/Southlake weekday mornings and the drive was not bad at all. Highway 114 was still two lanes out here. As the months went by I began to notice increased traffic. Then the rate of increase accelerated and I could see it get worse and worse by the week---and I am not exaggerating. I worked for a great company and I loved my job (even though there were certain frustrations regarding certain aircraft operators), but the commute became so hellish in the afternoons I had to hang it up last summer. I just can't and WILL NOT take that crap.

Getting older and crankier by the day didn't help much either. LOL.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I can imagine how shocking it is if you space your visits out six months at a time.

When I began my final job in 2006, I was commuting on 114 from southeast Wise County to Grapevine/Southlake weekday mornings and the drive was not bad at all. Highway 114 was still two lanes out here. As the months went by I began to notice increased traffic. Then the rate of increase accelerated and I could see it get worse and worse by the week---and I am not exaggerating. I worked for a great company and I loved my job (even though there were certain frustrations regarding certain aircraft operators), but the commute became so hellish in the afternoons I had to hang it up last summer. I just can't and WILL NOT take that crap.

Getting older and crankier by the day didn't help much either. LOL.
    In 1986 I got a well paying job in Irving and commuted 5 days a week. It took me 55 minutes to get from Paradise to work, and 48 minutes to get home. I was working nights so I was always going the opposite direction of traffic. Now it takes longer than that just to get from South Lake to Grapevine.

Top Bottom