Venture Surplus ad

Did Benchmade Just Stomp on Their.........

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    They’re so overpriced though. They hold their value but they’re overpriced lol. Don’t get me wrong though, I’d love a Tacoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Two Corollas and a 4x4 Tacoma all standard transmission. Corollas are 2008 &2013 and the Taco is a 2015.

Mile count ( all bought new) 2008- 212,000. 2013- 120,000ish and the Tacoma just crossed 75,000 this ending the warranty and now allows me to do some fun stuff to it.

They are worth every penny of the price tag.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Yeah I know, it's frequently tough to find actually good examples. Oddly enough, I grew up in a UAW town (one that no longer builds cars) where a lot of genuinely good folks adhere to "union good, orange man bad, vote D" but actually live a lot more conservative than their politics would suggest. The appropriate term is ignorant, with 'willfully' as a modifier. One gal I know, off the deep end in the lib pool - facebook memes and everything - owns her own small business and gets bent about the pains of Democratic leadership. The irony is completely lost on her, when it's so much easier to keep believing the same thing she was raised to believe. One of my good friends voted for Obama (Kool-Aid drinker, through and through), but woke up and turned around to support Trump. Stranger things, right?

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Two Corollas and a 4x4 Tacoma all standard transmission. Corollas are 2008 &2013 and the Taco is a 2015.

Mile count ( all bought new) 2008- 212,000. 2013- 120,000ish and the Tacoma just crossed 75,000 this ending the warranty and now allows me to do some fun stuff to it.

They are worth every penny of the price tag.

I’ve got an 08 avalon with about 130K. AC died on me years ago and the leak is under the dash. After a couple years I used some metal leak sealing AC thing I bought from Walmart, plus some more refrigerant and it did the trick. Front right axle needs replacing and had an alternator die on me a bit back, but apart from that it’s been fine. Still salty about the AC dying before 100K miles though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I drive Toyota and only Toyota.

So did my wife and I for about 14 years. Two 4Runners and a Rav4. But then I needed a full size truck. The Tundra is a great truck, but the gas mileage is abysmal. Probably 6 - 8 mpg worse than the F150 I eventually bought and now drive.

But when Toyota finally gets off their ass and updates the Tundra with a more fuel efficient motor, I'm in.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    So did my wife and I for about 14 years. Two 4Runners and a Rav4. But then I needed a full size truck. The Tundra is a great truck, but the gas mileage is abysmal. Probably 6 - 8 mpg worse than the F150 I eventually bought and now drive.

But when Toyota finally gets off their ass and updates the Tundra with a more fuel efficient motor, I'm in.
    I think there is a tuner that will increase its mileage.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I’ve got an 08 avalon with about 130K. AC died on me years ago and the leak is under the dash. After a couple years I used some metal leak sealing AC thing I bought from Walmart, plus some more refrigerant and it did the trick. Front right axle needs replacing and had an alternator die on me a bit back, but apart from that it’s been fine. Still salty about the AC dying before 100K miles though.
    My son drives a hand-me-down '05 Chevy Colorado. He had to replace the thermostat because it ran too cool and would set the CEL. Needed to pass inspection, so thermostat got changed. No other failures. 130-something thousand on the clock.

Not pointing a finger at you, but those who falsely believe Toyota reliability is above other auto makers make me laugh ;)

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    My son drives a hand-me-down '05 Chevy Colorado. He had to replace the thermostat because it ran too cool and would set the CEL. Needed to pass inspection, so thermostat got changed. No other failures. 130-something thousand on the clock.

Not pointing a finger at you, but those who falsely believe Toyota reliability is above other auto makers make me laugh ;)

Kirk Bonanny, Disabled (2004-present)
    Answered Feb 22, 2019 · Author has 57 answers and 98.6k answer views
    Originally Answered: Is Toyota the most reliable auto maker ever?

As a certified MASTER auto/truck technician with over 30 years of experience, my short answer is a definite YES! Now, you have to remember we’re comparing apples to apples here, and though Rolls Royce has a pristine reputation for reliability, dependability & overall quality, I can buy enough new Toyota’s to last me a lifetime (and then some) as compared to buying a Rolls Royce!

The common issues seen on most “average” cars on the roads for the past 40+ years all have their quirks….for the longest time, if you bought anything made by Chrysler, you were about guaranteed to have a least one transmission issue within the 1st 5 years of vehicle operation. They are much improved, but still fail at a higher rate than say A GM transmission. Ford, GM & Chrysler produced a whole slew of trash from the early 80’s (all Mopars except their old D 100 pick-up trucks, all FWD Ford products & almost every one of GM’s front wheel drive vehicles. The FWD cars from the big 3 had engine issues, the Ford & Mopar ones had massive transmission issues while GM was a little ahead on the FWD transmissions, but nowhere near as reliable as a Toyota, Honda, Subaru etc..

These very same cars had some of the worst suspension designs in the history of automotive engineering. In an effort to lighten all vehicles up to improve the C.A.F.E. (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) to comply with federally mandated standards, vehicles really took a turn towards being junkyards on wheels from the factory. Take a generally indestructible part like a coil spring. Prior to the early 80’s, the only times springs were changed is if the ride height was too low, the vehicle needed additional cargo carrying capability so heavier coil springs, or an extra leaf or two were installed on the vehicle. The other 2 reasons one might be changing coil springs is for a race set up, springs that are worn and no longer hold the vehicle at the specified ride height, which will make a proper wheel alignment impossible or when someone took a 4 or 6 cylinder car and stuffed a V8 under the hood as the factory springs for that 4 or 6 cylinder were definitely not going to allow that vehicle with a much heaviier engine under the hood to achieve the proper ride height specification….and if that’s not corrected you can easily lose control of the vehcile as the suspension can not physically control the jounce/rebound action due to the additional weight and when you apply the brakes the front end, already overloaded, is going to nose dive even further, taking almost all of the weight off of the rear tires & causing the rear of the vehicle to “come around” (spin out) on even a highly trained driver. I’ve changed more springs on Ford FWD cars & minivans than I ever imagined possible… it seems everything they made from 1980 through the early 2000s had coil spring failures. The hilarious part of this was their “fix” on their recall….did they replace the spring so that it wouldn’t break, and potentially shred the inside of your tire at highway speeds? NOPE! They had their dealerships bolt on a metal “cover” that would protect the inner sidewall of the tire from being shredded as easily as it would have been had this “guard” not been in place…yet the coil springs were still failing left & right and causing many, many accidents in the process. The solution was a set of MOOG coil springs and a new set of a quality strut (I prefer to sell KYB, but will also offer Monroe and OEM springs (except on Ford products!) to my customers. I will not sell Gabriel or off brands as they’re not worth the headache!

This may seem like I’m picking on Ford, but theymade so much garbage in the early 80s onward when they finally started to build much higher quality vehicles (cars) in the latter half of the 1990s, though some stupid issues remained such as coil springs prone to fail while driving, transmission failures despite being well maintained (though they deserve a huge thumbs up as they took a weakness (their automatic transmissions) and now build some of the more indestructible transmissions/trans-axles on the road today. Their suspensions leave a LOT to be desired as generally the only angle that is able to be adjusted from the factory on many of their cars/minivans & even their trucks & full sized vans) is the toe angle.. IF you have a tire wear issue, odds are you have worn parts (on a ford 4x4 truck, that is almost always indicative of excess wear in the ball joints!)…. so unless you have a car that tracks straight from the get go and the tires wear evenly, plan on handing over hundreds of dollars to a PROFESSIONAL alignment technician…and you’re not going to find many “pros” working at any tire store or chain store as they won’t pay competent technicians/mechanics what we’re worth. Ford also made one of the WORST engines of all time, which was also impossible for a guy with large diameter forearms & upper arms to work on.. the 3.8l V6. Between the oil leaks, the head gasket failures, the cracked aluminum heads (though that is the driver’s fault for continuing to drive an already overheated vehicle!) etc etc etc….. they were total trash.

GM made the QUAD 4, the 3.5 V6 in the Monte carlo SS in the late 90s/early 200s and both of those engine were trash AND damn near impossible to work on in many instances. GM did alright suspension wise..sure they suffered the same issue as Ford in making nothing other than front toe adjustable from the factory, but it was a quick & easy modification to make the front camber adjustable on all of those cars. GM’s interiors on their FWD cars were totally inferior and it’s only been in the past 2–3 years that they’re seemingly paying attention to the interior’s appeal to customers.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Chrysler/Mopar made the worst of the worst from ’80 through at least the early 2000s on FWD cars…….transmission/trans-axle failures while being unloaded at the dealership from the transport truck were not at all uncommon. Same goes for the rear differentials in the Ram 1500 & Durango from the early 2000s until ??? between pinion nuts backing off causing the complete differential to explode as if a grenade were placed inside of it to failed bearings with 20 miles on the odometer were also common issues. Then you had Mopars “love affair” with one of the absolute WORST engine manufacturers on the planet, Mistubishi! They stuffed a carbureted 2.6l 4 ylinder into countless hundreds of thousands of cars, and to see one that actually ran relatively well with more than 50k on the clock was nothing short of a miracle! No matter how well you maintained those piece of shit engines, they failed, period! the Mikuni carburetor on top was a huge contributor to premature engine failure..but when the carb cost right around $1000.00 in the early/mid 80’s, next to no one fixed them and many of those cars went to the scrap yard with very few miles on the odometers. The other Shistubishi engine they stuffed into millions of Mopars was the Mitsubishi 3.0. It ran “alright”….you wouldn’t win any races with it but it ran well enough to get ou where you were going, but for the 1st 5–7 yeas they used that engine the cylinder head gaskets continually failed again & again & again. The transmissions were nothing to write home about either and no car company in the history of vehicles ever had as many trans issues as Mopar has had. Time will tell if their NEWER transmissions are truly reliable or if they’re just a little bit better than the garbage they were for almost 30 years.

Now, the rst of the “normal cars” I see are all imports…anything from Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia etc etc….

Toyota, mile for mile, IF properly maintained and NOT abused has always cost less to drive per mile when you factor in everything from the price of the car, maintenance & repairs, gas, tires, brakes etc etc…. I had a chart that broke down 250 cars at random, and the top 3 cars that cost the least per mile driven were all Toyota’s. Honda, Nissan, Subaru & now even Kia & Hyundai have all improved to the point that they’re far more reliable than they were even 15 years ago. I still vividly recall the 1st Hyundai I ever saw and worked on. No matter what you did to this car, within a week is wouldn’t run right or go over 35 mph again. The dealership replaced EVERYTHING under warranty, 2–3 times with certain components. It would foul the plugs within 50 miles, yet all of the scanner data stream showed the oxygen sensors switching properly, the dealership had replaced the engine, computer (three times), wiring harness, carburetor *I’m convinced this was 90% of the issue, but the way it was designed there was no way to adapt a different carburetor to fit, let alone work* and the transmission failed @ 8000 miles. I despised seeing that car pull in every other week as there was simply nothing I could do for him other than throw 4 new plugs at it which would be fouled out within a week. That cheap ball buster kept that car for 3 more years until the transmission literally spilled its guts all over the on ramp right down the road from my shop.

Now, most people are going to give you opinions. I offer opinions backed up by data, real world conditions, facts & personal experiences. I hope this satisfies your questions intent as I know I have written a rather rambling reply to a complex question as I like to offer reasoning behind why I feel a certain way about a vehicle or a car company in general.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Chrysler/Mopar made the worst of the worst from ’80 through at least the early 2000s on FWD cars…….transmission/trans-axle failures while being unloaded at the dealership from the transport truck were not at all uncommon. Same goes for the rear differentials in the Ram 1500 & Durango from the early 2000s until ??? between pinion nuts backing off causing the complete differential to explode as if a grenade were placed inside of it to failed bearings with 20 miles on the odometer were also common issues. Then you had Mopars “love affair” with one of the absolute WORST engine manufacturers on the planet, Mistubishi! They stuffed a carbureted 2.6l 4 ylinder into countless hundreds of thousands of cars, and to see one that actually ran relatively well with more than 50k on the clock was nothing short of a miracle! No matter how well you maintained those piece of shit engines, they failed, period! the Mikuni carburetor on top was a huge contributor to premature engine failure..but when the carb cost right around $1000.00 in the early/mid 80’s, next to no one fixed them and many of those cars went to the scrap yard with very few miles on the odometers. The other Shistubishi engine they stuffed into millions of Mopars was the Mitsubishi 3.0. It ran “alright”….you wouldn’t win any races with it but it ran well enough to get ou where you were going, but for the 1st 5–7 yeas they used that engine the cylinder head gaskets continually failed again & again & again. The transmissions were nothing to write home about either and no car company in the history of vehicles ever had as many trans issues as Mopar has had. Time will tell if their NEWER transmissions are truly reliable or if they’re just a little bit better than the garbage they were for almost 30 years.

Now, the rst of the “normal cars” I see are all imports…anything from Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia etc etc….

Toyota, mile for mile, IF properly maintained and NOT abused has always cost less to drive per mile when you factor in everything from the price of the car, maintenance & repairs, gas, tires, brakes etc etc…. I had a chart that broke down 250 cars at random, and the top 3 cars that cost the least per mile driven were all Toyota’s. Honda, Nissan, Subaru & now even Kia & Hyundai have all improved to the point that they’re far more reliable than they were even 15 years ago. I still vividly recall the 1st Hyundai I ever saw and worked on. No matter what you did to this car, within a week is wouldn’t run right or go over 35 mph again. The dealership replaced EVERYTHING under warranty, 2–3 times with certain components. It would foul the plugs within 50 miles, yet all of the scanner data stream showed the oxygen sensors switching properly, the dealership had replaced the engine, computer (three times), wiring harness, carburetor *I’m convinced this was 90% of the issue, but the way it was designed there was no way to adapt a different carburetor to fit, let alone work* and the transmission failed @ 8000 miles. I despised seeing that car pull in every other week as there was simply nothing I could do for him other than throw 4 new plugs at it which would be fouled out within a week. That cheap ball buster kept that car for 3 more years until the transmission literally spilled its guts all over the on ramp right down the road from my shop.

Now, most people are going to give you opinions. I offer opinions backed up by data, real world conditions, facts & personal experiences. I hope this satisfies your questions intent as I know I have written a rather rambling reply to a complex question as I like to offer reasoning behind why I feel a certain way about a vehicle or a car company in general.
    Dang. I'm almost ashamed to admit I'm a "FordMan"! I'm on my 4th Ford truck (3 F150's and now a 250), and I've kept them all until 150k. I will admit I have replaced a tranny or two...

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Does all that include the toyota pickups who's frame was rusting in two and they finally had a multi billion dollar recall to get them off the road?

My 02 F350 had 560,000 miles on it before I let the son in law start driving it (he still uses it as his daily driver). Original motor. Original transmission. Never towed more than 22,000 lbs. And unfortunately, still gets better MPG's than my much newer F350. (emissions laws)

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    I only know what the statistics say. Those stats say that Toyotas are more reliable than any other vehicle in damn near every category of vehicles. I will continue to buy them until there is a data set that says otherwise.

EDIt -- they also don't use unionized labor... which would drive the price down if companies like FORD and GM didn't lobby the government to keep them from being insanely cheaper!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

All of my Toyota’s are still on their original clutches.

The only one that has been in the shop is the 2013, and that was for a busted strut about a month ago. Potholes and 80 mph sucks.

Top Bottom