• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    last year i was diagnosed being pre diabetic and the doctor recommended that istart monitoring my blod sugar levelsi did get one atwalmart that you have to prick you finger with to test iknow there are otherdiabeticshere and i'm looking fordifferent methods otestin that would be easier!

Didn't read the entire thread.

But I also use the latest AccuChek. AFAIK the only alternative to pricking to get a blood drop is the ones that also meter out the insulin... very expensive.

I use an alternative blood site rather than pricking my rather sensitive fingertips that I had always used to earn my living. I draw from inside the forearm. There are lancet holders/poker things now made specifically for non-finger testing.

My fav is a suction device from Bayer that is no longer made but others still work.

If you decide to go this route you might want to use a heavier guage but shorter lancet.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Didn't read the entire thread.

But I also use the latest AccuChek. AFAIK the only alternative to pricking to get a blood drop is the ones that also meter out the insulin... very expensive.

I use an alternative blood site rather than pricking my rather sensitive fingertips that I had always used to earn my living. I draw from inside the forearm. There are lancet holders/poker things now made specifically for non-finger testing.

My fav is a suction device from Bayer that is no longer made but others still work.

If you decide to go this route you might want to use a heavier guage but shorter lancet.
    so far not having to take insulin!

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    so far not having to take insulin!

Are you still "pre-diabetic"?

Getting full diabetes depends on several factors:

1. Heredity... having the genes that predispose. If others in your family have been diabetic, then you are at higher risk.

2. Diet: Excess carbs and fatty triglycerides. The higher the blood triglycerides, the more risk factor.

3. Obesity: Particularly belly fat. But I had a very very overweight friend that never got diabetes... he stayed active and polly didn't have the genes.

4. Sedentary: This is a big problem for you. But you'd still need to have additional factors above to come down with diabetes.

Personally, I think pre-diabetes is overdiagnosed. Just be aware of the above and do the best you can.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Are you still "pre-diabetic"?

Getting full diabetes depends on several factors:

1. Heredity... having the genes that predispose. If others in your family have been diabetic, then you are at higher risk.

2. Diet: Excess carbs and fatty triglycerides. The higher the blood triglycerides, the more risk factor.

3. Obesity: Particularly belly fat. But I had a very very overweight friend that never got diabetes... he stayed active and polly didn't have the genes.

4. Sedentary: This is a big problem for you. But you'd still need to have additional factors above to come down with diabetes.

Personally, I think pre-diabetes is overdiagnosed. Just be aware of the above and do the best you can.
    diabetes runs in my mother's side of the familynever really been sedentary and have always been pretty sctive in work and play!iwas diagnosed being pre diabetic close to thirty years agoand didn't make the dietary changes that i should have!

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    diabetes runs in my mother's side of the familynever really been sedentary and have always been pretty sctive in work and play!iwas diagnosed being pre diabetic close to thirty years agoand didn't make the dietary changes that i should have!

I think that not making dietary changes affected your blood vessels more than risking diabetes, but I'm not your doctor.

As I said, I think it's overdiagnosed. IMO there is no need to change a diet of moderation to a diabetic diet. 30 yrs and no diabetes.

Staying active helped you out a lot I'd bet. Post stroke, you will need to re-acquire activity as soon as you can. PT will help. Meantime, be a bit more cautious about a balanced diet and not overeating, since you have it in your family. You need to modify diet for stroke anyway. But don't let the pre-diabetes thing unduly scare you!!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I think that not making dietary changes affected your blood vessels more than risking diabetes, but I'm not your doctor.

As I said, I think it's overdiagnosed. IMO there is no need to change a diet of moderation to a diabetic diet. 30 yrs and no diabetes.

Staying active helped you out a lot I'd bet. Post stroke, you will need to re-acquire activity as soon as you can. PT will help. Meantime, be a bit more cautious about a balanced diet and not overeating, since you have it in your family. You need to modify diet for stroke anyway. But don't let the pre-diabetes thing unduly scare you!!
    i'm trying to walk more and more every dayto get back to being more active!i also still need to get some of my weight back. ilost over 40pounds bein the hospital!

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    i'm trying to walk more and more every dayto get back to being more active!i also still need to get some of my weight back. ilost over 40pounds bein the hospital!

That's a lot of weight to have lost. Rough plan!!

How much of what you need to gain back is muscle mass?

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    My doctor told me I was prediabetic over 20 years ago. Really shook me up. Bought the machine and got a prescription for the tests, I was borderline. I'm still fine.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    Two years ago my VA doctor advised that I was borderline diabetic and put me on a diet and low dose of Metformin. I’m 74. She said we would revisit my blood lab in 6 months and it was then back in the normal range. She kept me on the Metformin for another 6 months but I finally quit taking it after my glucose levels lowered and stayed down. The doctor was going to start me with the finger pricks if I couldn’t get it to level off at what she considered normal. I was adamant about lowering my glucose by changing my eating habits and exercising. I hate needles. I now minimize any carbs, totally cut out sweets, bread, pastry, soft drinks, etc. and started riding my bicycle for a daily thirty minute ride (timed). I also now drink only water and lots of it. My recent blood labs show all is normal. I’m not saying that diet changes and exercise works for everyone, but it did for me.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Two years ago my VA doctor advised that I was borderline diabetic and put me on a diet and low dose of Metformin. I’m 74. She said we would revisit my blood lab in 6 months and it was then back in the normal range. She kept me on the Metformin for another 6 months but I finally quit taking it after my glucose levels lowered and stayed down. The doctor was going to start me with the finger pricks if I couldn’t get it to level off at what she considered normal. I was adamant about lowering my glucose by changing my eating habits and exercising. I hate needles. I now minimize any carbs, totally cut out sweets, bread, pastry, soft drinks, etc. and started riding my bicycle for a daily thirty minute ride (timed). I also now drink only water and lots of it. My recent blood labs show all is normal. I’m not saying that diet changes and exercise works for everyone, but it did for me.
    right now i know i'm probably not getting as much exercise as i need to be gettingand has been absent thepast few months

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Jonas, have you tried listening to the audio books? I started doing that in the car and they are pretty neat. You just need a CD player and buy the book CD’s that you want.
    Most libraries have a way to check out Audio Books for free. I was using the Freestyle Libre 11. I stopped using it . It wasnt very acccurate and about 1 in 5 failed to work the full two weeks . at 20 Bucks a pop that was not worth it for me. I got a free reader from my health insurance now I use. Tthey send the supplies too.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    While you may have some type 2 diabetes in your family history the genetics play a much smaller roll than diet and lifestyle choices.

Genetics can load the gun, but poor choices and lifestyle pull the trigger.

High insulin levels from eating ultra processed foods and drinks tax the T-cell response of your pancreas and create insulin resistance which your body responds to with making even more insulin
    The body will do whatever it can to return blood glucose levels to normal and eating junk foods and drinking sodas continually all day keep the glucose levels elevated

Screenshot_20230214_071314_Chrome.jpg

There was 30 grams of sugar in those pop tarts you ate for breakfast..
    Not a good choice for a person who is pre-diabetic and just suffered a stroke
    In fact there isn't much worse than that , except for maybe a donut

That's the maximum daily recommended amount of sugar for the entire day Axxe and you had that for breakfast!
    What are you thinking dude?

I remember talking on the phone with you about your diet and changes you need to make when you 1st called me about your pre-diabetess several months ago.

At some point you've got to take responsibility for your actions brother.

Type 2 diabetes is almost always preventable and curable with diet and lifestyle changes.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom