• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Wtf do you do? Everytime i look at those jobs its a very generic description.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
    Run processes from a computer screen.
    - control reactors
    - run distillation columns
    - transfer raw material and finished product to storage tanks
    - sample tanks, drums, trailers
    - connect/ disconnect heavy stainless steel braded hoses at manifolds
    - load tank trailers and rail cars with bulk liquid
    - climb really tall things like distillation columns and tanks
    Troubleshoot process upsets, included malfunctioning equipment, plugged lines, etc
    - know proper ppe and how to protect oneself from hazards.

I love it, and when I get to a bigger plant, will be making more money than most with a 4 year degree. The only downside is shift work, and you work a lot of hours.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    ARJ Defense ad

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Company I work for filled the kegerator with Shiner today and bought us pizza for a Thanksgiving celebration. IT jobs are great ;)
    I've found my niche in it as I'm not a typical tech type.

I actually enjoy working with people and can look them in the eye.

We have Michelob Ultra and Coke. :/

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    If you have an aptitude for it, project management or estimating may be an option for you. Your field knowledge of steel fabrication/erection would be a benefit. Estimators typically have no need to leave the office, where as a project manager may make site visits on a regular basis. You could even look at being a project superintendent for a commercial builder if you have enough experience and understand the sequencing of building construction. The money would probably be more than you make now.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I had a strange career that took me many places. Perhaps some of it may help in making your decisions.

I earned a 2 and four year degree in technology but Viet Nam was calling and I couldn't get a job because I stayed 1A for the draft. I worked in the shops of major manufacturers and picked up solid skills in Hydraulics, Pneumatics, mechanics, electrical controls and engineering design. Made some good money but I wanted to get out of the factories. The draft lottery drew a 300+ number and finally, I was able to get my career moving.

Worked in the factories on aircraft, down hole pumps and gear product manufacturing. That money was great but the oil industry went bust and everyone lost their jobs at once!

Had several jobs where I designed skid mounted compressor, pump, steam turbine installations up to 2000 horse power. Also did some inside and outside sales, created the designs and sold the packaged installations. The money sucked!

Answered an ad for an instructor of hydraulics, pneumatics, mechanics and electrical controls. I got that job having taught zero days in my entire life! Earned my Masters Degree along the way and over the years taught in a University, several colleges, public school, vocational schools and the prison system. Money from teaching sucked and later, students in several teaching jobs were horrible!

Didn't retire from teaching.....I QUIT! Went back into the factories and put all of that training and experience to work on computerized, automated and robotic manufacturing systems. The money was great but the jobs were dangerous as Hell. Robotic equipment doesn't know or care if you are present. They start automatically and will crush the life out of you! On the last job I worked, there was a fatality during the first week of my employment! I prayed in the parking lot every day before my shift just so I'd survive the shift!

I quit the factory work and taught part time at a college where I contracted design and present technical courses on robotics, programmable logic controllers and instrumentation. That brought $50 per hour of work but there weren't that many hours per week.

2015........I quit working totally and now enjoy 100% retirement!

Summed up:
    Engineering and sales = The money was not good. Personal appearance was first class. Working conditions were very good.

Teaching was dismal. Money was poor and student behavior was intolerable. Got tired of running the classes out of my wallet. Teachers may have image but Image won't buy a Pepsi. Ditching the teaching profession doubled my income!

High tech robotic equipment Brought lots of money, endless working hours and terrible danger. For months, I worked 7x12 hour shifts. Occasionally, I worked 96 hours in a week. Overtime paid big bucks. Thank God I survived that!

Flash

Last edited:

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    If you're a steel worker, and can use software get into lofting, or material take offs and stuff.
    This or similar.

Find a job at a supplier and sell materials to the industry you already know and have contacts in.

I did HVAC repair for 10 years, than started selling to them as a mfg rep. Been in outside sales for 8 years. It is a mix of office/desk with client lunches, jobsite visits, and factory tours.

Or look at being a project manager for a general contractor.

Hit me up via PM if you want.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    This or similar.

Find a job at a supplier and sell materials to the industry you already know and have contacts in.

I did HVAC repair for 10 years, than started selling to them as a mfg rep. Been in outside sales for 8 years. It is a mix of office/desk with client lunches, jobsite visits, and factory tours.

Or look at being a project manager for a general contractor.

Hit me up via PM if you want.

Sales is not a bad place to be. Might be slim pickings. Right now.

But leverage your skills don't ignore em.

Lots of folks won't talk to a salesman, BUT they will talk to a guy who's been in the field for 30 years and happens to be a salesman.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Become a welding inspector. Sure you have to have the cash to get the certs but if you've been a welder then you know the job and all you have to do is take some pics and write up good reports.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Those factories didn't have "light curtains" around the machines?

Some did. The steel mill had light curtains around the forming rolls. Everything else was pretty open. Many times, I saw material failures that threw 30-40 feet of formed steel around the area. You ran for your friggin' life!

Conveyors may get their "go" command from a process two floors below. People were always being thrown to the floor or hung up in the conveyors while trying to clear a jam. It was a German designed system that shut down everything if one segment was shut down. It was all interconnected and controlled centrally so you worked on the systems and the many robot material handlers live! We had "lock out, tag out" equipment but we weren't allowed to use them!

The robots were regulated by hundreds of optical, inductive and/or capacitive proximity sensors. To make the PLC advance to the next command, the sensor reported that the equipment was in position and the previous step was complete. The sensors went out of adjustment or were damaged by people or parts, constantly.

So.the machine process stops. You check the PLC to determine the last step that was completed, ID the bad sensor. You entered inside the machine to replace or adjust the bad sensor.

Remember that the inductive sensor is looking for a metal piece to energize it. If your wrench passed in front of the sensor, the "go" signal is interpreted and the machine starts. It's like working on a mousetrap and it's damned dangerous!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    A certificate in Instrumentation with take a year to complete. An AA degree in in Instrumentation will take two years. I taught Instrumentation in several different institutions for many years.

Instrument fitters made $25/hour. Instrumentation techs drew $35/hour. It's probably higher, now. These guys are in high demand and I know personally of companies that had one whole shift walk out when another company offered more money!

Flash

Top Bottom