• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    That has a high success rate when done at night.

Well, both my parents worked for the King Ranch.
    In addition, for about 25 years my Father was one of three guides that took guests out hunting 2-3 times a week during deer season.
    It was obviously done during the day, lol.
    He had a leather pouch to hold all the different sets of keys for any of the gates surrounding the Kingsville area.

TWO2SEVEN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2016
    Plano, TX
    Something to take into consideration is the size or your wife. If she's under 5'6" or so, she may be more comfortable with a youth model rifle. Start with a full size one for yourself and see if it is comfortable for her to shoot. When I did hunt I used the Hornady 100gr SPBT Interlock bullets for the 243. They were handloads and I never had to track a wounded deer. A buddy used the same load to hunt Mule deer in New Mexico every year with good results. Since I stopped hunting there have been improvements in bullet design.If I was still hunting I'd use something in the 90 - 95 gr range like a Nosler Ballistic Tip Because I always had great accuracy with Ballistic Tips.

I used to weigh bullets and the Ballistic tips were always uniform in weight bullet to bullet.

Good advice about the size of the rifle. I am only 5'7"

I got my first deer in 2013 with a full size Savage Axis .243. Last year I missed several shots. I finally tried my cousin's Savage youth size .243 and got a deer on my first shot. The shorter stock just felt more comfortable and therefore safer for me to operate.

For my shotgun I went with a shorter stock on a full size 12ga, it is a lot more comfortable to shoot for me.

Luckily, I came to terms with being short years ago, so pride doesn't get in the way of being safe for me. :)

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Arm length is more important than height. I've seen 5'9" people that are better off with a shorter stock.
    Due to frequent damage to my arms as a child, self induced, I use a stock in between full size and youth better. My arms don't function like normal arms anymore. I usually buy a youth and add a spacer. Slightly shorter barrel length makes it easier too for someone with short arms. Putting the weight closer to the body helps.

from an idgit coffeeholic

TWO2SEVEN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2016
    Plano, TX
    Arm length is more important than height. I've seen 5'9" people that are better off with a shorter stock.
    Due to frequent damage to my arms as a child, self induced, I use a stock in between full size and youth better. My arms don't function like normal arms anymore. I usually buy a youth and add a spacer. Slightly shorter barrel length makes it easier too for someone with short arms. Putting the weight closer to the body helps.

That's a good point. I guess I just equated height and arm length, but I guess that varies quite a bit. :)

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    It does. I also deal with short armed who are determined that they are adults and therefore should use an adult sized rifle or shotgun daily. An incorrectly sized stock can beat you to death quick.
    What most don't realize is that stocks are designed for "average" people. Those are almost as non-existant as "normal" people. That is why you see dedicated target shooters, both shotgun and rifle, with fully adjustable or custom made stocks. There is no one size fits all. Just one size fits well enough for most.

TWO2SEVEN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2016
    Plano, TX
    It does. I also deal with short armed who are determined that they are adults and therefore should use an adult sized rifle or shotgun daily. An incorrectly sized stock can beat you to death quick.
    What most don't realize is that stocks are designed for "average" people. Those are almost as non-existant as "normal" people. That is why you see dedicated target shooters, both shotgun and rifle, with fully adjustable or custom made stocks. There is no one size fits all. Just one size fits well enough for most.

After getting my arm beat to hell by a full size 870 I had no problem ordering a shorter stock for my Mossberg :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2015
    Thanks for the great info guys!!! I'm 6'0 so I know I'll be fine on the adult rifle my wife last time we discussed she has shot an adult so probably will let her shoot mine and if she's comfortable get her one like mine or get her a youth I want her to be comfortable shooting and like you guys said safety is most important thing.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    HeavenIsInvadingEarth,

IF buying for a lady, who is NOT an experienced shooter/hunter, I would recommend the same thing as most members here have (the .243 Winchester/6mm Remington) UNLESS the 2 of you plan to hunt larger game than Whitetail Deer or Antelope.

IF you believe that you may hunt larger game at some near future date, I would buy her a 7mm Mauser, a .308 or a .25-06.
    (Either of those 3 calibers is perfectly suitable for any North American game, other than the large bears.)

just my OPINION, satx

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2015
    Hey guys there's a gun shop near me in the Houston area went to there website and saw this gun (pic below) is this a good deal for the gun?

Just wanting some feedback that's all

f0f1dac92548b09ee7e09c42b9cb3a8c.jpg

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Rem 770 is ugly, heavy and the action is fucking horrible. But it locks up tight and goes bang reliably and with acceptable accuracy for most people that use it for hunting. It is strictly a starter gun. But that is not a bad price at all of new. Ised I would want about $50 dollars less on the price. Walmart has them at about $287 new.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2015
    Rem 770 is ugly, heavy and the action is $#@!ing horrible. But it locks up tight and goes bang reliably and with acceptable accuracy for most people that use it for hunting. It is strictly a starter gun. But that is not a bad price at all of new. Ised I would want about $50 dollars less on the price. Walmart has them at about $287 new.

Alright thanks!! Was just curious that's all if I consider it further may try to talk down the price some.

RevolverBuff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2016
    Round Rock
    Latecomer to the thread. Lots of recommendations for .243 and 7mm-08, both great choices for the intended purpose. Enough power but not overkill. Shot placement is key. Either of those calibers have mild recoil so you can practice enough at various ranges to get proficient at shot placement.

One thing to be aware of with 7mm-08 is that, although a mild recoiling cartridge, it is frequently chambered in very lightweight 'mountain rifles' which have the effect of increasing the felt recoil. Just something to be aware of.

Older Remington 700 rifles are great quality and can be found used frequently. I personally used a Rem 700 BDL in 30-06 out west for mule deer hunting. Recoil in that cartridge though is substantial. That cartridge also is really a big overkill for any kind of deer hunting. Would only recommend that cartridge if you were also hunting elk as well, particularly for western mixed tag hunts because it's a very versatile big game cartridge with a wide range of bullet weights. Even then, there are other suitable cartridges for that purpose with lesser recoil such as 270 Winchester and 308 that will also fill that role.

Ruger, Savage, and Tikka also make great rifles in addition to Remington 700.

Here's some really interesting research links on terminal ballistics including studies of different calibers as well as specific bullet types in case you'd like some further reading:
    http://www.ballisticstudies.com/

Article on 243 Winchester terminal ballistics
    http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.243+Winchester.html

Article on 7mm-08 terminal ballistics
    http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7mm-08+Remington.html

Last edited:

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I won't get into the caliber debate because they will all kill deer easily.

However I would not buy a package set with a scope. They are the cheapest Bushnell, Tasco, etc that is made and is a poor excuse for glass. Those scopes are less than $50 at retail typically.

You'll get much better optics buying separately.

Academy is/was selling the Remington 700 ADL rifle for $349 and Remington is offering a $50 rebate if purchased during the Thanksgiving holiday.

That will get you a very good base to upgrade on later if you so desire.

Another option (I don't own one) that seems to get great reviews is the Ruger American series of rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    I am still a big proponent of the rifle/scope combos. There are some shitty ones, no doubt, but the Savage Axis II XP is not one of them. They come with the Accutrigger and a decently rigid stock, and the scopes aren't bad either. They are usually Bushnell, Nikon, or Weaver - and they're $100 scopes not $20. Here's a nice one at Cabelas for $450.

http://www.basspro.com/Savage-Axis-II-XP-Hardwood-BoltAction-Rifle-with-Scope/product/2312204/

If you shop around you can probably find one for under $400 (GunBroker). And Savage has a $50 rebate on Axis rifles until 12/2.

http://www.cabelas.com/assets/pdfs/savage_black_friday_mir_Coupon_12-02-16.pdf

RevolverBuff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2016
    Round Rock
    Mike makes a good point about optics. Optics prices go from mild (Bushnell, Tasco) to wild (Zeiss, Swarovski) with many, many options in between. There's a great online site with ratings and recommendations at a variety of price points.
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/riflescopes-best-rated.html?_iv_gridSize=120

Some options that would get you decent quality scopes without breaking the bank are some of the lower to mid ranged price point offerings from Leupold, Vortex, Nikon, or Weaver in a 2-7x or 3-9x variable option.

Remember that you'll probably want a decent pair of binoculars as well between the two of you. Some really good options are the Nikon Monarch 5 glasses (or Monarch 7 if you want to splurge) which provide great optics at a mid range price.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jakeps
    Top Bottom