• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    Took my first deer ever on a hunt on national forest land in north Idaho this afternoon.

I have been shooting for years, hunted bird mainly in Texas such as Quail and Dove.
    (This morning)
    I was sitting on a stump reading my book, I saw something brown walking up on the side of the hill. I pursued it, very slowly moving as quiet as possible without making any noise. I pursued it for about 10 minutes moving about 40 yards.
    I took a shot at about 30 yards as it was running and missed. Shit happens.

We went back to the house for lunch and a nap and went back out in the afternoon.

Today I shot my first deer, 70 yards roughly, 30-06 150 grain Remington core lokt.

(This afternoon)
    My dad and I considered moving to a different area, we were not sure if we spooked all the deer in the area due to me missing.

But we decided to go to the same area, and save the other areas for tomorrow.

I went back to my spot, read my book for about 10 minutes, and this one moved out of the woods into the clear, spread her ears out and gave me a broadside shot. Went in the shoulder and out of the neck. It didn’t run, it dropped right where it stood.

I hope to shave similar luck with a friend of mine in Sam Houston forest this year, I still have a lot to learn. I can shoot well, but I need to become really good at field dressing and quartering these, it’s a lot more work than a dove or quail.

Happy hunting guys, I hope to see some of you out and enjoying what God has given us.

Sola Deo Gloria

IMG_1363.jpeg
    Lynx Defense

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Congratulations to you sir, very nice slick head you got there.

Got it done with America’s cartridge too. Getting that first deer on the ground is an amazing feeling too.

I have family that live in Stites, Kamiah, and the outskirts north of the area.

My mother was born on the Nez Perce rez too.

Love to read write ups like yours. Hope you have continued success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    One of my favorite "backstrap" meals.

Seasoned with "Montreal steak seasoning", smoked over hickory at 200 until the internal temp hits 125 (usually less than an hour) and then reverse seared on very hot lightly oiled cast iron to give a "crust" on the outside. Let it rest for about 20 minutes after on a plate under a loose foil cover.

1697165817037.jpeg

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    One of my favorite "backstrap" meals.

Seasoned with "Montreal steak seasoning", smoked over hickory at 200 until the internal temp hits 125 (usually less than an hour) and then reverse seared on very hot lightly oiled cast iron to give a "crust" on the outside. Let it rest for about 20 minutes after on a plate under a loose foil cover.

View attachment 410179
    I would take that over whataburger any day

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    Is there still a wolf problem in Idaho? Had a friend up there that had a run in with a pack about 10 to 12 years ago. He was on a elk hunt.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I prefer northern Idaho, but southern Idaho I am sure has its charms. It’s a large state to explore.
    It is. Lived a decade between Sandpoint & Bonners...and too many face plant/yard sales on Schweitzer. LOL (Skiers will know what that is)

Last edited:

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Congratulations to you sir, very nice slick head you got there.

Got it done with America’s cartridge too. Getting that first deer on the ground is an amazing feeling too.

I have family that live in Stites, Kamiah, and the outskirts north of the area.

My mother was born on the Nez Perce rez too.

Love to read write ups like yours. Hope you have continued success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Kamiah is beautiful. I'll never forget the first time I drove 12 down out of Lolo - curving forever it seemed - and then saw the sign that said 'Curves Ahead' and thinking wtf?? LOLOL

Top Bottom