• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcfroggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    League City
    A good friend of mine was shooting elsewhere on the property when it happened. Im just glad he is safe. Cops confiscated handguns just in case it wasn't a suicide he said.

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    A good friend of mine was shooting elsewhere on the property when it happened. Im just glad he is safe. Cops confiscated handguns just in case it wasn't a suicide he said.

Not to be cold hearted but I probably would have asked the police what size round went in him. If they said 9mm and I was shooting my .45, I'd tell them there's no need to take my pistol.

Matthew2000tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Helotes, TX
    Sad News about this. I've been at the Bullet hole many times and many times I felt unsafe but recently I've noticed huge safety improvements and more ROs.

So this is sad to see on any range and accidents can happen on all ranges... but the Bullet Hole is one range that i've not felt safe at especially when there are no ROs present. As stated before they have made improvements recently.

One question I have is if the man that died was renting a gun or not.... that would give a clue to to possible suicide at range. Hopefully the news media will update this story when the police figures out what happened.

mcfroggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    League City
    [QUOTE/]There's no way they're gonna declare a caliber at the scene, even WITH the projectile in hand.[/QUOTE]

Supposedly, that is the issue. The guy's gun was on the rack - not laying next to him. Maybe it fell there or ...... Seems fishy to me.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Guys, a couple of points.....

I "get it" that some of you don't like the place. The safety issues many have commented on are being addressed as best they can - as it happens, there WERE RO's at the range today, FYI. Things can get "hairy" at ANY range - much of it is up to those shooting, in my experience.

The owners are actually on this board - they read what we post. They're also highly supportive of the shooting sports, and I'll be so bold to remind you that they were kind enough to make a bay available for our recent benefit shoot for one of our members. It was raining that day, and they opened their CHL training trailer for us to use - something they didn't have to do.

I just hope that we'll keep those kinds of things in mind as we discuss this. If the range did something wrong, that'll come out and be fair game for discussion IMO. But if, as it appears, they were not responsible for this incident, some will have made comments that were, IMO, out of place.

Just my .02 worth...

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse

I "get it" that some of you don't like the place. The safety issues many have commented on are being addressed as best they can - as it happens, there WERE RO's at the range today, FYI. Things can get "hairy" at ANY range - much of it is up to those shooting, in my experience.

The owners are actually on this board - they read what we post. They're also highly supportive of the shooting sports, and I'll be so bold to remind you that they were kind enough to make a bay available for our recent benefit shoot for one of our members. It was raining that day, and they opened their CHL training trailer for us to use - something they didn't have to do.

I just hope that we'll keep those kinds of things in mind as we discuss this. If the range did something wrong, that'll come out and be fair game for discussion IMO. But if, as it appears, they were not responsible for this incident, some will have made comments that were, IMO, out of place.

Just my .02 worth...

Plus 1, the owners completely went out of there way to help the cause. It can happen anywhere. Sad to see but it does happen.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Mike, you should just save the time buddy and put Bullethole sux in your sig line, we get it you don't like them already :P

John, for good reason. Honestly, I am not surprised that there hasn't been more people shot at the Bullet Hole. I've never seen the management or employees at any range not take action when shooters inform them of safety violations other than at this range. But when one of their own employees almost ran me and my son over in the parking lot, and then had the gall to yell at us, I knew at that very moment that even if every other range in San Antonio closed, I still would not set foot at that range. Sure, you can pay more money and get a private bay ($15/per person), but why would I want to give more of my hard-earned dollars to a place that doesn't care about my safety or even worse, that of my son? **** that, and I am not the only one who has had negative run-ins with the management of the Bullet Hole. A good buddy of mine cancelled his annual family membership when the owner yelled at him for picking up his own brass. He was a regular shooter there (every Saturday morning) and she knew who he was, but she claimed all the empty brass belonged to her.

Actually, some days it surprises me that it has stayed open as long as it has. The place was already starting to slide before Vern passed away, and he death simply accelerated the process. I only hope that no one on this forum is the next victim of the place!

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land

Just my .02 worth...

Oh, just to be clear, my post was not directed at the Bullethole range, it was just shooting at places where strangers who are also shooting and may or may not be as safe and proficient with a firearm as yourself.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Plus 1, the owners completely went out of there way to help the cause. It can happen anywhere. Sad to see but it does happen.

Sorry, but if they were more responsive when we reported safety issues on the range, I would be sympathetic; but several times we told the people working there that there were people on the pistol range who where muzzle sweeping others, messing with their firearms during a cease fire with people downrange checking targets, and rapid firing despite the rules prohibiting it and we got zero, nada, nil response out of them.

I don't give a shit if they are on this forum, it's just like Nagel's gun store, if they don't like the negative opinions people have about their businesses based on firsthand experience, then it's their issue not ours! Anyone who doesn't make the safety of their customers their #1 priority will not be getting my business!

Matthew2000tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Helotes, TX

Just my .02 worth...

As I stated... this BH has made huge leaps in safety within the past year and it is truly sad to see this happen with all the improvements they made. As I stated in my 1st post it this can happen at any range. I'm sure we'll know the details when they release them. I'd be surprised if it was the BH's fault... I doubt it was. Only time will tell.

As others have stated I too have see people at the BH printing others and messing with guns during a cease fire. But I usually just go up ask they they stop or correct this behavior that usually stops the problem.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I don't give a shit if they are on this forum, it's just like Nagel's gun store, if they don't like the negative opinions people have about their businesses based on firsthand experience, then it's their issue not ours! Anyone who doesn't make the safety of their customers their #1 priority will not be getting my business!

When's the last time you were there personally? Isn't it possible that the many reports others have posted here about the improvements are correct?

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Plus, they are dealing with enough shit already, must we pile on more? We should support fellow community members. There is nothing to suggest an unsafe range was responsible ATM. Lets not convict them prematurely.

Top Bottom