• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    I don't buy for a second that all the s5 issues are user error or anomalies. The issues seem to involve all manner of mounting systems, and how would a user error cause blast baffles to have total weld failures? Disintegrating baffles? There are other issues with DA, like them being unable to support suppressors with adapters. How long did people have to wait for wolfman tri lug adapters or 26x1.5 wolverine adapters? It was far longer than DA said they'd be waiting.

DA has zero in house production and little to no QC. Everything they make goes straight from the subcontractor to dealers. They don't have the manufacturing overhead. They just design and sell it. They are a ghost kitchen but with suppressors.

The same fate may befall ocm, but i seriously don't it'll be that soon, unless they start using subcontractors for everything

None of that, at all, is related to what I was talking about.
    Venture Surplus ad

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    None of that, at all, is related to what I was talking about.
    13Qe.gif

Yes, it is. DA obviously has a QC problem, and it goes beyond user error or the occasional lemon. And its not simply that DA is popular, its that their popularity is a byproduct of not having to actually build the cans themselves.

Like i said, they're a ghost kitchen.

Side note, are you the same CA rep that was on arf wondering why people wanted super durable 5.56 cans and used precision barrels as a comparison?

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    My DA sandman S came with a bad mount. It was a pain to take off. Had to wiggle the shit out of it to get it off. DA sent me a new mount a few months later

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    No, it's not. You're talking about a company's QC issues. I'm talking about baffle strikes- which is what the OP was asking about. They are not the same thing.

Yes, and I presume you are taking that comparison way out of context.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    No, it's not. You're talking about a company's QC issues. I'm talking about baffle strikes- which is what the OP was asking about. They are not the same thing.

Yes, and I presume you are taking that comparison way out of context.
    The OP is asking about the sierra 5. His opening sentence asks about dead air cans and baffle strikes. He asks if he should avoid getting an S5. The answer is that yes, he shouldn't get one because the S5 has severe QC issues.

I asked because... Well, you sounded familiar and it was an incredibly dumb thing to say.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I’ve seen a lot of baffle strike with dead air cans. Are these exaggerated and I’ll be fine?

OR

Should I avoid getting a dead air suppressor (particularly the sierra 5 keymo).

Thanks!
    I just got my can back a month and a half ago from Dead Air for baffle strikes. I'm not sure how it happened, the flash hider was on good and not loose. I guess it's possible the barrel threads weren't concentric.

Dead Air was real good with their service. I had to fill out their service questionnaire and send it off with all the nfa paperwork associated with the can. They rebuilt it and refinished it. On that service alone, I will be buying one of their Sandman K cans.

I will also be finding a way to make sure that all my hosts are concentric and muzzle devices are tight. I thought I was anal about it before, but I will really be now.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I just got my can back a month and a half ago from Dead Air for baffle strikes. I'm not sure how it happened, the flash hider was on good and not loose. I guess it's possible the barrel threads weren't concentric.

Dead Air was real good with their service. I had to fill out their service questionnaire and send it off with all the nfa paperwork associated with the can. They rebuilt it and refinished it. On that service alone, I will be buying one of their Sandman K cans.

I will also be finding a way to make sure that all my hosts are concentric and muzzle devices are tight. I thought I was anal about it before, but I will really be now.
    Get some alignment rods i use the surefire ones, but i think griffin and maybe Geissele makes some?

Top Bottom