• ...and so much more!
  • MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Too many people didn't get to grow up doing donuts and rolling 360's in snowy mall parking lots and it shows.
    That's how I learned as a teen; late night, empty mall lot, first snow. Priceless.
    I'm pretty good on snow & ice, years in N Idaho does that.
    I dont judge people here, who dont have an opportunity to learn how it works, before circumstances forces them into doing it.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    As a transplant that knows how to drive in the snow and ice - I still prefer to stay home when its slickery out.

I spent 16 years in the towing business, working outside in that shit. I saw first hand how many people, who get to see snow multiple times a year, still suck ass at driving in it. Most tool around on bald tires, don't know how to put chains on (or that they go on the drive wheels, or that their car is FWD and not RWD) and they want to drive 55 then hit the brakes. People that don't realize 4WD / AWD are not God's gift to slick roads like the salesmans said (no shit, ever year the first car out the ditch for me was either a jacked up 4x4, or a lesbian in a Subaru AWD)

I've worked too many recoveries, wrecks, or had to tow someone's shit just because they didnt put traction devices on to want to be out in it, especially in a place where the average person has little to no experience driving in it. I don't buy snow tires here in Texas, nor do I have snow chains (sold 'em before moving from Oregon) and no burning desire to have either device, since we just don't get that kind of weather here that lasts long enough to be an issue.

A lot of drivers are terrible in clear, dry, warm weather. Add rain / ice / snow and cold weather and they're outright deadly. Working for a school, I enjoyed my extra day off yesterday. I had some left over brisket that I made on Monday during the first cold day. I saw around basically in my PJ's and did ****-all, and loved it. The only down side to it really for us is the $20 / day in the electric bill for the last few days (I get daily updates on our account) - not a fan of that nonsense. I thought it was bad at $15-17 a day to run the AC in the summer but nope this cold stuff was worse.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Lived one winter in Indiana, found the "good drivers" to be who I watched out for ignorant shit.
    Was on the way to work one morning, roads weren't plowed, unbroken snow from ditch to ditch concealing the road.
    I putted along guessing where the road was when a "good driver" flew past cursing my Texas plates.
    About a mile down the road he was out in a field, went through the fence and all. I just smiled and waved at his dumb ass as I putted by. I have many stories from just that one winter and other frozen wastelands I lived in temporarily. Ice and snow can be unpredictable, please slow down and be safe.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    IMG_6457.jpeg

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    What surprises me is that some people seem to actually believe that they have some special secret skill for driving on snow and ice that nobody else has.

There's no secret to it. Just basic physics.

But how many people understand, or even care to try to understand physics.

Top Bottom