ARJ Defense ad

Criterion Tactical Course at the Sig Academy AAR.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    The following is an short after action review (AAR) of the two day tactical pistol / carbine class taught by Kelly Venden of Criterion Tactical (www.criteriontactical.com). A Youtube video will be posted soon at www.youtube.com/wishse.
    Kelly is an army veteran. Specifically, a retired Sgt Major and former member of the “Unit” (Special Forces Operator with the Green Hats). After leaving the US Army, Kelly started the training program for the US Air Marshals....some of you may know his drill the “Triple Nickel”. After an 11 year stint there he worked as a contractor for the US Military in the sand box helping US troops develop the type of training and tactics that saves lives. He is now doing more work through his company Criterion Tactical, training military, law enforcement and civilians.
    The class was held at the Sig Sauer Academy (Saturday and Sunday 8:30 to 6 PM).
    Day one was dictated to fundamentals (presentations, sight alignment, sight picture and sight press). Main take always:
    · Efficiency, built on proper fundamentals increases confidence and accuracy.
    · High ready… push the gun out (smoothly) align front sight and press the trigger (concept with high ready is if you’re getting ready for a fist fight your hands are up near your face to defend and return punches. Millions of years of evolution have gotten this into our DNA). No matter how you train it’s what you’ll do when you’re in a fight for your life. It’s also faster to get the front sight on target. Also better retention than “low ready”.
    · RIDE The trigger “reset” every time.
    · Return to high ready every time after shooting. The safe, decock, check condition of the gun before putting it in the holster.
    · Go for perfection every time. (Presentation, press out, trigger management and accuracy).
    · Know the condition of the gun at all times.
    · Move, move and move. Gun fights are not static.
    · “Shoot the threat down”… two, there, four shots, whatever it takes. Be aware of the other stuff around you. Good guys and bad guys.
    · Practice the process until it is embedded.
    We transitioned to Carbine in the afternoon. We applied same fundamentals when using carbine. My Colt AR with the DPMS 16” upper ran great for the first 200 rounds but then started giving me several type one malfunctions that appeared to be light primer strikes. I hadn’t had that happen before. I was using some Federal varmint ammo .223. Don’t know if that was the issue or the buffer tube loosening up (which it was).
    I ALWAYS bring two guns to a class like this. After four or five “clicks” in a few different evolutions, followed by "tap, rack assess", I said “enough” and switched to another AR. … I had brought along----a S&W MP AR-15T (Tactical) just in case. The M&P heavier than my Colt and it’s heavy trigger made the precision shots more challenging. Good equipment check.
    Lessons learned…
    · Got to shoot the ARs more. Even though the ammo is costly, it’s good platform and I just need more time.
    · I am going to a two point sling (Vickers version)
    · Going to change stocks for better cheek weld (Veltor?)
    · Need to work my stance and grip to deal better with my left hand and arm issue and mitigate recoil
    · Less time watching the red dot “bobble”… see the dot on target and press the shot.
    · Want to try the EoTech as the ones I tried at the class allowed me faster hits as the outer ring drew my eye into the center dot.
    · Will try a muzzle break on one of the ARs (mostly just to mess with the guys on the line next to me)!
    · I will change the trigger on the M&P AR15T and go to a Viltor type stock that gives a better cheek weld than the Magpul stock I was using. Also having a good gunsmith check out the Colt to see what the deal is with those light primer strikes.
    · Guys running Striker fired guns (Glocks, MPs and XDs) appeared more accurate from the presentation. Half the class was running Sigs with their DA/SA triggers and that long trigger press first shot made their groups much larger than those of us with ugly plastic guns. However there were a few guys who had that DA/SA transition mastered and they rocked. Kelly was one of them. He simply was faster than stink on poop and accurate as hell. This guy can shoot!
    Day two was even better. I am saving most of this for the videos but here are some of the things we did. Dynamic entry through a door way with multiple targets (shoot and non-shoot). One shooter at a time followed by stacks of up to four shooters… yes guys behind you with guns. (Pistol and Carbines, live fire… WOW awesome!). All the guys were experienced shooters with lots of training so I knew they knew how to run the gun safely.
    I felt very safe and confident as the level of skills was far better than you normally see at these sorts of classes. People were dialed in, focused and very aware of their trigger finger and safety. Kelly also managed this process like the experienced master trainer he is. Nothing was unsafe, lanes for fire were distinct and we had practiced these drills earlier in the morning dry. Muzzle discipline was followed and maintained.
    Kelly kept changing the targets and making targets that had been threat targets into friendly’s by cutting out their guns from the paper targets and changing the position of the targets on every entry evolution to mess with what we thought we would see…. Talk about a mind F*&k. Great experience and definitely eye opening. I found mysef point shooting under this stress.
    Highlights for day two
    · Shooting in, under and around cars and barricades.
    · Different ready positions with carbine
    · Bilateral manipulations of the carbine
    · Carbine to pistol transitions

Takeaways… Practice bilateral manipulations of the carbine. Change slings and stock… try a muzzle break on one of the guns.
    Final drill (Guns and cars)
    The final drill had us test shooting different rounds though the windshield glass and doors of the cars. Bullets deflect far more than you’d expect. We shot .223 ball and .556 ammo. The best ammo penetration was not the .556 Green tip but the 50 grain federal varmint round. This was not what we expected and this wasn’t a scientific test so I make not claims to this working for anyone else. Go figure…
    From three yards I shot the Speer Short barrel God Dot +p round out of my .38 SW body guard. I fired into the windshield dead center of the cardboard target sitting. Shot was deflected two inches low and to the left. Shots went though both front and back seats.
    We shot the 9mm HST 147+P Bonded HP. (Same drill, but at an oblique angle to the front wind screen on the passenger’s side). Rounds deflected left and downward. I found one round in the back seat… it had not expanded (it was deformed and filled with material).
    Next we shot several guns from inside the cars (though front windows and side doors). You have to see the vids of this… too funny and was too much fun for boys.
    Finally, we had a group unleashing on (all our remaining ammo) on the cars to “test” how rounds went through parts of the car. Bottom line, the only place for real cover is the engine block. The rest is just soft concealment! (Of course there we’re 10 guys each with 3-5 30 round AR 15 mags and 3+ 15 round handgun mags). “Get me some”….

Summary:
    This was one of the best training events I’ve attended. Kelly and Greg were fantastic instructors. Drills were far beyond typical static training fair. Dynamic, intense, challenging and fun!
    Why Kelly (criterion tactical)?
    1. Experience
    2. 30 + years of real world application of tactics
    3. Exceptional positive attitude --- Lots of reinforcement for students
    4. He demonstrates everything he asks students to do
    5. No ego or attitude
    6. Exceptional one-on-one coaching
    7. Process based mythology that allows the student to improve while leaving him with many things to practice in the future.
    8. Kelly allowed us lots of trigger time
    If you’re looking for your next “must do” training, check out Kelly Venden’s Criterion tactical! I highly recommend him and plan to do more training with him in the coming months and years.

Finally, be on the look out for several videos of the fun we had this weekend posted on my youtube channel!

Stay safe....

Seth Wish

www.youtube.com/wishse
    ARJ Defense ad

Top Bottom