Guns International

Concealed Draw (Without one in the Chamber and with on in the chamber)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Fox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Duncanville
    I absolutely disagree, Fox. This is not like the 9mm vs. .45 debate, because in this debate one of the options has no tactical benefit whatsoever.

Whereas 9mm has the benefit of greater firepower (more bullets) and .45 has the benefit of putting more lead in the target per round, carrying with an empty chamber has no benefit except the imagined benefit of increased safety *when the gun is not in use.* In my mind, it's akin to carrying a blade with no edge. You can't cut yourself on accident with it, but what good is it?

Maybe ford chevy is a better analogy. Personal preference is what Im saying. Yes a gun you have to rack is not as good as one that is ready, but peoples situations are different. I dont have kids so I can leave my gun racked all the time. I can set it down anywhere in my house anytime and not have to worry. I like to carry with one chambered, but I can see someone with kids who might not want to carry with one in the chamber.
    If your carrying at all your ahead of 90% of people already. hehe
    Guns International

pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    Maybe ford chevy is a better analogy. Personal preference is what Im saying. Yes a gun you have to rack is not as good as one that is ready, but peoples situations are different. I dont have kids so I can leave my gun racked all the time. I can set it down anywhere in my house anytime and not have to worry. I like to carry with one chambered, but I can see someone with kids who might not want to carry with one in the chamber.
    If your carrying at all your ahead of 90% of people already. hehe

I have a 2-yr old and an infant and I carry chambered. I don't see how having kids even enters the equation.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Good information NewShooter, thanks for sharing. Very good practice to familiarize and understand how safe a good holster is.

Yes; be aware old worn-out leather holster have been known to get soft around the trigger, finding their way in the trigger guard and causing a discharge (especially with trigger-safety pistols). There is a video of some guy on youtube who shot down his leg (barely missing) and blew a hole through the floor of his car because of this.

Kydex is immune to this phenomenon.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Kids have nothing to do with a round being chambered or not. This is exactly like what I hear all the time about people wanting a manual safety on their gun "in case their kid gets a hold of it". The easy answer is DON'T LET YOUR KID GET A HOLD OF YOUR GUN! Seriously. If you have children, you need to have a quick access gun safe like a Gunvault brand safe. It is never okay to leave guns laying around with children in the house. Chambered or not, it needs to be properly secured. This is a question people blow out of proportion, and that is the simple solution.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    In my mind, it's akin to carrying a blade with no edge. You can't cut yourself on accident with it, but what good is it?

Although I get the point your making to him...thats a bit much. A blade with no edge can, under NO circumstances but sharpened in time to use. There are any number of circumstances you will have time to draw and fire. True, there are SOME that you MAY not have time to draw chamber and fire, there are still a lot that would exist. Not really a good analogy.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    I think a proper car analogy would be more like "Leaving the engine running vs turning it off when you're sitting still in heavy traffic."

Way better, or I like the one where a guy said...its like trying driving around and putting your seatbelt on when you see that your about to hit a semi truck.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Kids have nothing to do with a round being chambered or not. This is exactly like what I hear all the time about people wanting a manual safety on their gun "in case their kid gets a hold of it". The easy answer is DON'T LET YOUR KID GET A HOLD OF YOUR GUN! Seriously. If you have children, you need to have a quick access gun safe like a Gunvault brand safe. It is never okay to leave guns laying around with children in the house. Chambered or not, it needs to be properly secured. This is a question people blow out of proportion, and that is the simple solution.

Thank you. Logic seems to evaporate with this topic.

pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    Although I get the point your making to him...thats a bit much. A blade with no edge can, under NO circumstances but sharpened in time to use. There are any number of circumstances you will have time to draw and fire. True, there are SOME that you MAY not have time to draw chamber and fire, there are still a lot that would exist. Not really a good analogy.

But my point in making that analogy is to say that assuming you'll have time to draw, chamber and fire is effectively the same as assuming you'll have hours or days to properly sharpen a blade. The point is *you just don't know.* Given the stakes in a violent encounter (life or death) why would you assume you'll have enough time to make ready?

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    But my point in making that analogy is to say that assuming you'll have time to draw, chamber and fire is effectively the same as assuming you'll have hours or days to properly sharpen a blade. The point is *you just don't know.* Given the stakes in a violent encounter (life or death) why would you assume you'll have enough time to make ready?

I agree, like I said I've got a holster I trust and don't feel uncomfortable with it being chambered. Just the analogy didn't fit as well to me. The seat belt before a crash made more sense to me.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    The knife analogy is a bit much. You don't have to sharpen it first - you can make someone dead quite effectively with a closed pair of scissors with no edge at all. Depends on whether you're planning to stab or filet 'em, I guess.

TennisFreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    I am a new CHL holder and so far the majority of the time I carry without a round in the chamber. I have practiced my draw enough (using my Glock 27) that it is now second nature when I pull with my right hand to automatically have my left hand grab the slide (as I bring the gun up with my right hand) and load on in the chamber. By the time my gun is drawn and pointed at target a round is in the chamber.

There have a few times I keep on in the chamber such as going to some really bad parts of town and also I when being out late at night with my wife.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I am a new CHL holder and so far the majority of the time I carry without a round in the chamber. I have practiced my draw enough (using my Glock 27) that it is now second nature when I pull with my right hand to automatically have my left hand grab the slide (as I bring the gun up with my right hand) and load on in the chamber. By the time my gun is drawn and pointed at target a round is in the chamber.

There have a few times I keep on in the chamber such as going to some really bad parts of town and also I when being out late at night with my wife.

I think your last paragraph says alot. If you carry with one in the chamber when you are going to a bad part of town, than you realize there is an advantage to doing so. Why add that extra step in what could be an extremely fast, and extremely violent situation?

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress

Too bad that bad shit doesn't just happen in bad parts of town only....

"Those who appease a tiger do so in hope that the tiger will eat them last."
    -Winston Churchill

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I don't even use ammo because it's too dangerous. I just have a gun because the bad guy will run off when I aim the gun at him. The only reason I don't use airsoft anymore is because they have the orange paint on the muzzle; makes it too obvious that it's not a weapon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom