• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    Hi all - so I have some very "green horn" questions (I'm in Post TX just for reference) :

1. I have always wanted to get into the world of competition shooting / marksmen shooting (I am thinking both rifle and pistol but would be open to concentrating on one or the other). What is some of the best advice you could give an absolute newby?

2. I would like to connect with someone who has been in this sport for a while... And learn from them as much as I can... Like a journeyman program...

3. What are some resources for keeping up with events in my area?

Thank you all in advance.

Sent from my SM-S536DL using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Local gun ranges have competitions. Steel or other action 2 or 3 gun. Give them a try to decide what you like. Find one and dive in.

Long range rife stuff is harder to find, talking the expensive 1000 yard plus. It will require a heavy lift cost wise between gun glass ammo and equipment.

Service rifle is easier to get into but can get costly too.

Ammo for anything will be the cost if you practice and compete regularly. Easiest entry cost wise will be the production gun action stuff. The off tge shelf carry gun a few mags and appropriate holster belt and gear and you're off. Most of which you probably have. Owb holster, with cover garment if concealment is required.

Most importantly HAVE FUN.

There are members who do this regularly who will chime in. Hopefully someone in your city or Abilene or Lubbok.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I would like to connect with someone who has been in this sport for a while...
    That's going to be very difficult without some definition for "this sport".

Shooting as a hobby is second in popularity in the USA only to running but most people don't even realize that. The problem is that the shooting sports are so incredibly fractured, with so many different disciplines, that few (if any) of them have enough participants to be a noticeable force by themselves.

You need to find what interests you. Do you want to stand up and shoot an air pistol at 10 meters? Or sit at a bench with a rifle and try to hit a big metal plate 2 miles away? Or use a rifle or pistol to hit 5 metal plates a short distance away but as fast as humanly possible? For any particular firearm, accuracy challenge, and speed requirement, there's a sport that will combine them in a way that seems compelling to you. But you have to tell us what that is. IOW, there are so many different kinds of shooting sports it's impossible answer your questions without more information.

But we can definitely make a start.

First off, you don't want to fall in love with some form of shooting competition that no one in your area shoots. So find out what's already going on in your area. Hopefully, one of the already-active sports will be something that appeals to you.

You're between Lubbock and Abilene, much closer to Lubbock. The Lubbock sub-forum on this board isn't very active but a post there might get you some conversation.

The NSSF runs the Where to Shoot page which shows Lubbock has at least 5 shooting ranges. Those include 41 Lead Farm Shooting Range, Lubbock Shooting Complex, Lone Star Shooting Sports, Patriot Firearms & Family Shooting Center (which doesn't seem to have a website but you can start here), and Dos Amigos Sporting Clays (again with no website but start here.)

Between them, NSSF says they offer:
    • 3 Gun/Multi Gun
    • Airgun
    • Practical/Action Pistol (3 locations)
    • Hi-Power Rifle Matches
    • Skeet Competition
    • Sporting Clays/FITASC (2 locations)
    • Handgun Metallic Silhouette (2 locations) and
    • Rimfire Challenge
    The NSSF database is often in error so you must check the website for each place or otherwise confirm what sort of shooting competitions they host.

If any one of those disciplines looks interesting, talk to the range/club, find out when the next match will be, and ask if spectators are welcome. They usually are.

Then go to several different types and locations to observe various matches in different disciplines. Does the shooting look interesting, like something you'd enjoy? Do you get a positive vibe from the folks at the match? If you can answer both in the positive, you may have found a competitive shooting sport you'll like.

Personal notes, since you indicated an interest in rifle and/or pistol, not shotgun (which is another world):
    • I love metallic silhouette. There's an unmatched positive visceral response to hearing your firearm report followed immediately by the sound of lead hitting steel and seeing the steel fall down. In the centerfire versions, it's "BoomClank." For the rimfires, it's "BangTink." But they all put a smile on your face every time.
    • If you have any aspirations of becoming a highly skilled marksman in the traditional style, air gun is, by far, the best way to start. The initial cost of good-enough-to-not-be-embarrassing equipment is comparatively low. Of course, at the high end costs get ridiculous, just like every shooting sport. More important for a beginner, though, the ammo is relatively cheap. That's a big deal for most of us. As a bonus, if you live in a house you can usually practice in your backyard. With some ingenuity, you can often practice inside your domicile. The biggest bonus, though, is that the fundamental skills learned by serious airgunners carry over to every other rifle and pistol sport.
    • Dry fire rules. Don't neglect it. In fact, if you want to get good at your rifle or pistol sport, dry fire is what separates the good shots from the winners and the winners from the Olympians. There is at least one USA Shooting (i.e., US Olympic shooting team) member who will tell you with a straight face that becoming a world class rifle or pistol shooter requires at least 100 serious dry-fire trigger pulls for every live round shot in practice. He's not exaggerating much, maybe not at all.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

Shooting as a hobby is second in popularity in the USA only to running but most people don't even realize that. The problem is that the shooting sports are so incredibly fractured, with so many different disciplines, that few (if any) of them have enough participants to be a noticeable force by themselves.

You need to find what interests you. Do you want to stand up and shoot an air pistol at 10 meters? Or sit at a bench with a rifle and try to hit a big metal plate 2 miles away? Or use a rifle or pistol to hit 5 metal plates a short distance away but as fast as humanly possible? For any particular firearm, accuracy challenge, and speed requirement, there's a sport that will combine them in a way that seems compelling to you. But you have to tell us what that is. IOW, there are so many different kinds of shooting sports it's impossible answer your questions without more information.

First off, you don't want to fall in love with some form of shooting competition that no one in your area shoots. So find out what's already going on in your area. Hopefully, one of the already-active sports will be something that appeals to you.

You're between Lubbock and Abilene, much closer to Lubbock. The Lubbock sub-forum on this board isn't very active but a post there might get you some conversation.

The NSSF runs the Where to Shoot page which shows Lubbock has at least 5 shooting ranges. Those include 41 Lead Farm Shooting Range, Lubbock Shooting Complex, Lone Star Shooting Sports, Patriot Firearms & Family Shooting Center (which doesn't seem to have a website but you can start here), and Dos Amigos Sporting Clays (again with no website but start here.)

• 3 Gun/Multi Gun
    • Airgun
    • Hi-Power Rifle Matches
    • Skeet Competition
    • Rimfire Challenge
    The NSSF database is often in error so you must check the website for each place or otherwise confirm what sort of shooting competitions they host.

If any one of those disciplines looks interesting, talk to the range/club, find out when the next match will be, and ask if spectators are welcome. They usually are.

Then go to several different types and locations to observe various matches in different disciplines. Does the shooting look interesting, like something you'd enjoy? Do you get a positive vibe from the folks at the match? If you can answer both in the positive, you may have found a competitive shooting sport you'll like.

Personal notes, since you indicated an interest in rifle and/or pistol, not shotgun (which is another world):
    • I love metallic silhouette. There's an unmatched positive visceral response to hearing your firearm report followed immediately by the sound of lead hitting steel and seeing the steel fall down. In the centerfire versions, it's "BoomClank." For the rimfires, it's "BangTink." But they all put a smile on your face every time.
    • If you have any aspirations of becoming a highly skilled marksman in the traditional style, air gun is, by far, the best way to start. The initial cost of good-enough-to-not-be-embarrassing equipment is comparatively low. Of course, at the high end costs get ridiculous, just like every shooting sport. More important for a beginner, though, the ammo is relatively cheap. That's a big deal for most of us. As a bonus, if you live in a house you can usually practice in your backyard. With some ingenuity, you can often practice inside your domicile. The biggest bonus, though, is that the fundamental skills learned by serious airgunners carry over to every other rifle and pistol sport.
    • Dry fire rules. Don't neglect it. In fact, if you want to get good at your rifle or pistol sport, dry fire is what separates the good shots from the winners and the winners from the Olympians. There is at least one USA Shooting (i.e., US Olympic shooting team) member who will tell you with a straight face that becoming a world class rifle or pistol shooter requires at least 100 serious dry-fire trigger pulls for every live round shot in practice. He's not exaggerating much, maybe not at all.
    Outstanding post @benenglish

Makes my amateur attempt a waste of bandwidth. But it was early. Lol

When I'm all done recovering I gotta try some boom clank and bang tink of my own. You always say tomorrow or someday.

HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US

• 3 Gun/Multi Gun
    • Airgun
    • Hi-Power Rifle Matches
    • Skeet Competition
    • Rimfire Challenge

WOW! Thank you so much for your insight, knowledge, and feedback! I HAVE done some skeet shooting with my father-in-law back home in Vermont. I like it, but its not really what i think of when i think of "competitive shooting"...which i guess isnt fair or accurate because it it VERY competitive! A more accurate statement would be, its not what i think of when i think about what i enjoy.

When i think about what i enjoy, i enjoy the accuracy side of shooting. Hitting a target from a long distance, or being able to hit a moving target...I have thought about the long-range challenges (like the mile challenge) so perhaps that might be a good place for me to start looking.

I DO also like the pistol side of things...with the pistol, i like the speed aspect of it...so again, perhaps a good place to start looking.
    Again, thank you SO much for the info. I will be checking those resources and seeing if i can find any upcoming events. I have been a lifelong shooter so i know this is something i am interested in for sure...its just a matter of breaking the ice and getting my feet wet. With amazing people around like you, it makes the process less intimidating for sure!

HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    Local gun ranges have competitions. Steel or other action 2 or 3 gun. Give them a try to decide what you like. Find one and dive in.

Long range rife stuff is harder to find, talking the expensive 1000 yard plus. It will require a heavy lift cost wise between gun glass ammo and equipment.

Service rifle is easier to get into but can get costly too.

Ammo for anything will be the cost if you practice and compete regularly. Easiest entry cost wise will be the production gun action stuff. The off tge shelf carry gun a few mags and appropriate holster belt and gear and you're off. Most of which you probably have. Owb holster, with cover garment if concealment is required.

Most importantly HAVE FUN.

There are members who do this regularly who will chime in. Hopefully someone in your city or Abilene or Lubbok.
    Thank you sir for the information! I had the gut feeling ammo would be the hard point cost-wise here. Shooting for as long as i have (just hunting and backyard stuff) along with being the Purchasing Agent responsible for helping out the State of Vermont's Department of Public Safety procure ammunition for its various departments, i know the current market for ammo is just wacko!

But again, thank you for the guidance and information. It is greatly appreciated.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have thought about the long-range challenges (like the mile challenge) so perhaps that might be a good place for me to start looking.

I DO also like the pistol side of things...
    You seem to be implying that pistols aren't used at long range. Where did you get that idea? :)

yFVtIWZ.jpg

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    Bullseye pistol with a .22 is about as inexpensive as it gets if you are thinking precision shooting. If you like it it won't be inexpensive but all you have to have it try it is a pistol and ammo. The Rimfire Challenge, same, got a rifle and ammo, all you need to give it a try.

HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    Bullseye pistol with a .22 is about as inexpensive as it gets if you are thinking precision shooting. If you like it it won't be inexpensive but all you have to have it try it is a pistol and ammo. The Rimfire Challenge, same, got a rifle and ammo, all you need to give it a try.
    I do have a rimfire 22lr rifle so that is kind of what i was thinking. I have been looking at .22 pistols as well...Thank you for the advice!

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    WOW! Thank you so much for your insight, knowledge, and feedback! I HAVE done some skeet shooting with my father-in-law back home in Vermont. I like it, but its not really what i think of when i think of "competitive shooting"...which i guess isnt fair or accurate because it it VERY competitive! A more accurate statement would be, its not what i think of when i think about what i enjoy.

When i think about what i enjoy, i enjoy the accuracy side of shooting. Hitting a target from a long distance, or being able to hit a moving target...I have thought about the long-range challenges (like the mile challenge) so perhaps that might be a good place for me to start looking.

I DO also like the pistol side of things...with the pistol, i like the speed aspect of it...so again, perhaps a good place to start looking.
    Again, thank you SO much for the info. I will be checking those resources and seeing if i can find any upcoming events. I have been a lifelong shooter so i know this is something i am interested in for sure...its just a matter of breaking the ice and getting my feet wet. With amazing people around like you, it makes the process less intimidating for sure!
    Look here.........

Later, Mark

jwales

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2020
    DFW
    I do have a rimfire 22lr rifle so that is kind of what i was thinking. I have been looking at .22 pistols as well...Thank you for the advice!
    Here's a link to a club just south of Lubbock that has competition matches.
    Steel Challenge, outlaw steel (non-affiliated...just lots of falling steel targets of various sizes), and USPSA.
    The steel matches allow for centerfire pistol, pistol-caliber carbine, and 22 rifle and pistol.
    I don't live in that area, but know a few of the regulars (good people). Attended one Steel Challenge event while visiting family.
    It's 5 separate bays, up to 50yards in one bay, others are 18-25 yards deep.

t-astragal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    College Station

Midland Amarillo and Wichita Falls have bullseye pistol. I’m headed to WF this weekend for the state championship. 50 yards one hand! By the way you did mention you liked the precision aspect of shooting right. This event will scratch that itch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    Midland Amarillo and Wichita Falls have bullseye pistol. I’m headed to WF this weekend for the state championship. 50 yards one hand! By the way you did mention you liked the precision aspect of shooting right. This event will scratch that itch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you! I will look into this for sure. And yes sir, the pression aspect I am very much into!

HKFive

~VP of Misc. Stuff ~
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2021
    US
    Here's a link to a club just south of Lubbock that has competition matches.
    Steel Challenge, outlaw steel (non-affiliated...just lots of falling steel targets of various sizes), and USPSA.
    The steel matches allow for centerfire pistol, pistol-caliber carbine, and 22 rifle and pistol.
    I don't live in that area, but know a few of the regulars (good people). Attended one Steel Challenge event while visiting family.
    It's 5 separate bays, up to 50yards in one bay, others are 18-25 yards deep.

Thank you! I will check this out for sure!

Txdweeb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    I’m green to competition shooting as well this is what I did.
    I’ve only done 2 steel matches but I found a local club, found out the rules of local match, aquired appropriate gear ie holster and mag holder, practiced my draw and mag change with new setup, showed up asked 100 ridiculous questions an had a grand time.

It’s not over complicated just follow instructions from the rso you’ll be fine.

Top Bottom