• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Hey I want the Bianchi Iwb but, I probably want the style to guard the hammer from digging into my side.
    I would think anyways.

I can’t find what I’m looking for, suggestions?
    Model #?
    The holsters at the linked page are evidently the only holsters currently offered by Bianchi for the Detective special with 2" barrel.

Guns International

scattergun6

Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    Ah, those pictures bring back memories! Back in the late 70's and early 80's I was a Military Police Investigator in Germany, and turned in my 1911 .45 for a two-inch Detective Special, sans barrel shroud. All the other Investigators were carrying S&W snubbies so I thought I was something special... :p
    While home on leave I bought a Bianchi "clamshell" horizontal shoulder holster and carried it for the remainder of my time there. The little Colt was light, easy to conceal, and went with me everywhere...I knew I was undergunned to face any of the unrest going on in Europe at the time, but I was young and felt like Serpico...
    Fun times.

Enigma57

Dec 7, 2020
    Dallas/ Fort Worth Area
    Found this nice little Safariland thumb-break at a gun show......
    IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

oohrah

Well-Known
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I have my Grandfather's Colt Banker's Special, that's what it says on the barrel. Also his original holster. But, the serial number tracks to a 1920 manufacture, so I think it started out as a Detective Special and was refitted later with the 2-inch Banker's barrel. It shoots .38 S&W.

El Coyote

Jan 21, 2024
    Spring, Texas
    Nice guns, perfect size and six shots. I have no problem with them other than they are hard to get repaired properly. You have to find somebody that knows how to work on them. I have a late 1950's Agent that I shoot exactly once a year with low power loads. My grandfather-in-law gave me the grips (and that knife) from the one he used to own so I went and found one. It makes me feel like Paul Drake in Perry Mason.

View attachment 416739

reddog

Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    I have a Cobra (aluminum framed Detective special) that I bought probably 40 or more years ago. It was used and I picked it up at a store that catered to the local PD at the time. It had stock grips and a factory shrouded hammer. Smooth as silk SA and DA. Always shot dead on and it wasn't until I had owned it for a while that I realized that the front sight had been purposely bent to the right side from the base. You would only notice it if you brought the front sight down into alignment with the rear. Who ever the smith was that tweaked this pistol must have been a master.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Nice guns, perfect size and six shots. I have no problem with them other than they are hard to get repaired properly. You have to find somebody that knows how to work on them. I have a late 1950's Agent that I shoot exactly once a year with low power loads. My grandfather-in-law gave me the grips (and that knife) from the one he used to own so I went and found one. It makes me feel like Paul Drake in Perry Mason.

View attachment 416739

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    The ones on my Agent are real vintage stag.
    <>

The thingy in front of the grips, which fills-in the space b/t the trigger guard & the handle frame is called a ‘’Franz Grip’’.

I only know about this b/c an Uncle was a competitive pistol shooter way back in the 1920’s & ‘30’s, and had them installed on some of Grandfather’s Colt revolvers.

I didn’t even know that they made grip panels until recently.

As a former anatomist, I know that the old-style revolver handles were backwards in reference tl the structure of our hands.. Close your fist halfway & look at it, from palm side. The ‘’space’’ of our grips is always larger to the thumb side.

Franz grip inserts filled-in this natural space and lessened the tendency of the revolver to turn when gripped and trigger ‘’pulled’’.

My Son still has one of GrandPa’s 6’’ Colt ’’Police Positive’s’’ in .38LC w/ those inserts, but still with the original Colt grip panels.

leVieux

<>

Polkwright

Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    <>

The thingy in front of the grips, which fills-in the space b/t the trigger guard & the handle frame is called a ‘’Franz Grip’’.

I only know about this b/c an Uncle was a competitive pistol shooter way back in the 1920’s & ‘30’s, and had them installed on some of Grandfather’s Colt revolvers.

I didn’t even know that they made grip panels until recently.

As a former anatomist, I know that the old-style revolver handles were backwards in reference tl the structure of our hands.. Close your fist halfway & look at it, from palm side. The ‘’space’’ of our grips is always larger to the thumb side.

Franz grip inserts filled-in this natural space and lessened the tendency of the revolver to turn when gripped and trigger ‘’pulled’’.

My Son still has one of GrandPa’s 6’’ Colt ’’Police Positive’s’’ in .38LC w/ those inserts, but still with the original Colt grip panels.

leVieux

<>

The one on my Colt is a Tyler T-Grip. https://www.t-grips.com/

The first known grip adapters were produced in the 30's by Smith & Wesson. After the war other manufacturers began producing them.

I have a Pachmayr grip adapter somewhere. I've never seen or heard of a "Franz Grip". I'd like to find one.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...the old-style revolver handles were backwards in reference tl the structure of our hands.. Close your fist halfway & look at it, from palm side. The ‘’space’’ of our grips is always larger to the thumb side.
    That's a feature, not a bug. At least sometimes. The smooth grips tapered in the wrong direction will cause the pistol to roll in the hand, reducing the sensation of recoil in hard-kicking revolvers. Repositioning the hand back to a firing grip is inconsequentially rapid. You just have to be willing to accept a lowered standard of accuracy due to a slightly inconsistent grip; that can be mostly overcome with practice.

And pretty much nothing can substitute for that SAA grip feel.

It's a struggle to balance all the factors involved.

Top Bottom