• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I'm graduating college soon with a BS in Chemistry from Texas Tech. I have an idea of the job market out here in West Texas, but I was curious if there are any other people on TGT that happen to be involved in this sort of field. Any information is nice and appreciated. I've talked to my advisor and such, and would just like some more information from other people.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    That's pretty interesting. I gave it a quick look over, and it would appear that I am either a) over-qualified or b) under-qualified for most positions in Texas at PPD. For example, jobs that interest me require a certification or some sort or only require a high-school diploma.

I've been trying to find information on the oil industry, but it would appear that they prefer chemical engineers, which I am not.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    They do prefer engineers... But go around checking out websites like rigzone. Or the majors, Exxon, Shell, BP, etc. They'll have stuff.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Well fellow chemist, I have some experience in this. There are 3 types of jobs for chemistry degrees:
    1. Really high level jobs that are really cool and pay $$$$ and require PhDs and tons of experience
    2. Chemistry lab jobs that only require a BS.
    3. Other stuff that you school's placement folks have no idea about.

Skipping #1, I can tell you that there aren't a lot of lab jobs, but there are some. They are generally pretty boring (like running the exact same analysis 500 times) and people either don't stay long or never leave. Try looking for job postings for "chemical technician". Some of them are H.S. or GED, but some are for BS degrees.

If you can hook up with a company that does water treatment (like for boilers and cooling towers), that's always in high demand.

As for "other" positions, there are jobs that will hire chemistry majors even though the jobs aren't really about chemistry. Environmental positions fall into that category. Most people with environmental degrees are biologists or geologists and they don't have much skill (or desire) to work with chemical processes (like spills or air emissions).

The company I work for has some research facilities and some process chem labs. They do all their hiring off of Monster.com.

If I hear of something going on, I'll happily pass it along.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Fantastic. I've applied to one place so far out here in W. Texas, and I'm pretty excited about it. I have no problem learning new skills or techniques really, and would have no problem working outdoors or indoors. I've seen that a lot of employers are wanting people who have their Master's degree too, and that has me worried.

Also, I'll start browsing more thoroughly on monster.com just in case.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Visit your local Army recruiter. Apply for the Chemical Corps (or any other branch for that matter).

Basic Training + Officer Candidate School = Commissioning and attendance at a branch-specific Officer's basic course.

You will find plenty of opportunities to work indoors or outdoors.

With time, the Army will send you to get your Master's degree.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The state unemployment office has a web site with lots of job listings.

One thing I will caution you about: You are young and inexperienced. If you limit yourself to West Texas, you may limit your chances of getting a job and for getting a job that will lead to better stuff in the future. You need to be flexible about moving.

Remember: IT IS ALWAYS EASIER TO GET A JOB WHEN YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE. Employers don't like to hire someone that's unemployed. (Yes, it's stupid.) If you get a job and some experience, you can look for one closer to home and find something that fits you. Then you'll be moving on your own terms.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Well I do have a job. It's just not related to my degree. I was previously wanting to attend optometry school, but changed my mind - so I work at an optometrist's office right now. I'm not completely limiting myself to W. Texas, but there are places I prefer as well as places I really don't want to live. For example, Austin or San Antonio are places I wouldn't mind - especially San Antonio. However, I really really really want to avoid Houston and anywhere super close to the border.

JaketheBake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Sugar Land, TX
    The whole time I was reading this thread I kept picturing Rusty Shackleford (aka Dale Gribble) in a chem lab wearing a lab coat with his hat, sunglasses and cig hanging out of his mouth.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Yeah, I really prefer San Antonio, but I guess it is what it is. I talked to one of my professors and he basically said the same thing - that there are more jobs in Houston. I guess I will look into it. He also mentioned Monster.com having lots of jobs for chemists. I'll keep an open mind and keep on looking!

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Keep in mind that Austin is expensive (and weird). For every 1 job in S.A. and West Tx., there are 1000 jobs in Houston.

Just sayin'.

+1 ... Austin is weird. I like the city, but not the city government. Plus, never could find a job there. Either over qualified, or under qualified. I put in hundreds of job apps throughout Texas (Austin, SA, Dallas, Houston) ... and the only place that I had several interviews for was Houston. Houston is booming. Plus for you is that Houston is oil city ... and chemistry and oil go hand in hand ...

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Yeah, I've come to realize that I may have to just suck it up and move to that nasty place. I'll start posting on monster.com shortly. I've got one resume sent out to a company here in W. Texas that is a pretty viable option. The only problem with it is, is that it is a government based job - and I'm pretty sure they're on a hiring freeze at the moment.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Houston has sports, pretty girls, cold beer, music, it's cheaper than most cities, and there are a lot of different companies to work for in a relatively small radius.

You can put up with the traffic and humidity.

Top Bottom