• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Keep eyeing them and the only ones left are rack grade or expert grade.

From CMP:

EXPERT GRADE:​

EXPERT GRADE .30-06 RIFLES will feature a NEW, Commercial-Production Stock Set and a NEW Commercial-Production barrel chambered for .30-06 Springfield. Bore condition will be “as new”, and barrels will gauge “as new”. (SA OR HRA ONLY)

I thought I had seen something stating modern, heavier ammo was okay in these but then couldn’t find it an emailed CMP. The reply

“This is the warning that we send out to customers/competitors even with a new barrel.

The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172-174gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle.

This warning is an update/addition to the Ammunition section in the Read This First manual enclosed with each rifle shipment (M1 Garand manual-page 6 and M1903 manual-page 10).

Civilian Marksmanship Program”

If it’s a new production barrel, why the same warning? They don’t think the bolt, or extractor or something will hold up?
    Hurley's Gold

DJB-TX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    D-FW
    Those are good guesses. Not being an expert on the Garand (but I can ask around), I’d also say they’d be concerned about the main spring in the action getting worn out quickly with such high-energy loads.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Thr Garand was built around the M2 ball ammo. Modern hunting rounds can damage the operating rod because of the pressure
    Several companies make an adjustable gas valve for the Garand. They are service rifle approved for competition
    They allow you to adjust the pressure to match the load.
    They can also be very useful to dial in groups

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Thr Garand was built around the M2 ball ammo. Modern hunting rounds can damage the operating rod because of the pressure
    Several companies make an adjustable gas valve for the Garand. They are service rifle approved for competition
    They allow you to adjust the pressure to match the load.
    They can also be very useful to dial in groups

The M1 was designed around M1 ball, which is a 174gr boat tail bullet going about 2,640fps.

The adjustable gas plugs are only useful if you're reloading and really want to tune your rifle, or are shooting 180's or heavier.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    The M1 was designed around M1 ball, which is a 174gr boat tail bullet going about 2,640fps.

The adjustable gas plugs are only useful if you're reloading and really want to tune your rifle, or are shooting 180's or heavier.
    Correct ..Typo in my end.

The gas plus are also useful when wanting to run modern hunting ammo.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Correct ..Typo in my end.

The gas plus are also useful when wanting to run modern hunting ammo.
    Only if they're 180's or heavier.

The m1 can more than handle any factory 150-175's you put in it.

During WW2, Julian Hatcher and John Garand realized they hadn't heard any stories of catastrophic M1 failures (other than cracked heels from rifle grenades), so they took an M1 off the rack and tried to blow it up, to the point they were loading .30-06 at 125k PSI. They blew a lug off the bolt, cracked the other lug, and trashed the stock, but the action, op rod, barrel etc were fine. After that 125k psi round, they shot 500 rounds of M2 ball after they replaced the stock, using the same bolt.

you can certainly damage an op rod, but the biggest causes are lack of lubricant and 60+ year old springs

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    So replace the springs, possibly buy an adjustable gas plug and should be good?
    Springs, and get some good lube. Grease is best. Lubriplate, cherry balmz, tw25b are all good choices.

The Garand is very picky about lube, and it'll let you know if it needs more.

Get a good, solid gas plug wrench, i have one from Garand gear iirc. It has a flathead for early gas plugs and a "phillips" for later ones.

and get some USGI clips. The AEC/AGE/CMP clips aren't very good

Jeremy2171

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2023
    Not here
    FYI....

108213895_1362203287309356_716266077855992514_n.jpg

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    A buddy from 'near' Austin TX (Academy graduate, then P3 pilot 'PPC' at NAS Moffatt) retired from the Navy Rifle Team many years ago. Sometimes he competed with a Garand or M-14 in whichever matches at Camp Perry etc.

He didn't seem to think that 30-06 ammo was any actual risk to a Garand's op rod or anything else.

Last edited:

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    A buddy from 'near' Austin TX (Academy graduate, then P3 pilot 'PPC' at NAS Moffatt) retired from the Navy Rifle Team many years ago. Sometimes he competed with a Garand or M-14 in whichever matches at Camp Perry etc.

He didn't seem to think that 30-06 ammo was any actual risk to a Garand's op rod or anything else.

So his opinion carries more weight than actual proof?

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    TheMailMan:

It was an idle comment. The buddy might have been unfamiliar with any incidents involving people using 30-06 ammo.

We seldom communicate these days during the recent changes in his life.

My only related gun is a brand-new M1A, therefore I have "no dog" in the debate.

Good luck to your guys' discussion.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom