Hurley's Gold

Chronographs - good, better, best - and where to get 'em....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    So...it's way past time to git a new one. Thing is, I ain't kept up w/'em the way I should have, so I popped on, did a search - and looks like we ain't talked about 'em. I KNOW we must've at some point, but apparently I ain't findin' it, so.....

I want something w/a remote readout - where the guts are away from the potential stray shot AND where I can see what's happenin' easier. Who's making good ones now - and which should I avoid at all costs? Where's the best place to get 'em - and where should I NOT buy from (if any)?

Thanks!!

Peter M. Eick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    Oehler 35P is the best. They are available. They aren't cheap, they are worth it.

I can't tell you much about other ones. I bought a 35P after researching the topic for a long time and tried a few others. I never went back.

Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    I've had an Qehler 35-p since 1997. My printer finally went out last year. I understand they are back in business again. I agree with Peter M. Eick, I think they are the best. I gave $456.93 for mine back then. Yes...expensive but if you take care of them ..they will be worth the money and time. I've kept mine in a Rifle gun case that I cut out for it and has lasted this long. Still works good ...but sure miss the printer built into it. I'm sure there are others that are cheaper ,..but Oehler has been good to me as far as customer service goes. Look at all the others and go from there. Good luck.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Learned a long time ago that "cheap" usually is - quality has it's own return on investment. Expensive, yeah - but something ta look at for sure - thanks!!!

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    This is the one I have you can have it in 3 days from here. Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph - MidwayUSA
    I used it all day in 104 deg sunny weather, complete cloud cover and dispelled the rumor you can't use Montana gold boolits and all you need to get is a tripod from best buy for $35.00. What is nice is you can turn it off go home and look at your results. It holds 9 strings of 99 shots. You would like it.
    View attachment 6639

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I think most are accurate enough. Comes down to features and intended use. Never heard complaints about the Oehlers, but I am too much of a geek to use something that prints out on a 1970s type adding machine. For me, it would either be looking at something with no frills like the F1 for like $90, or something with all the frills like the CED M2 + RSI's shooting lab software for like $275.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have the same Chrono as Robin, the Prochrono. It is easy to use, convenient and accurate. No fancy stuff like a printer or remote readout, just go bang bang bang and the numbers pop up and then store in the memory. Unfortunately, this is the only Chrono I have experience with. Not sure where to get everything your looking for but if you have the budget for it, the Oehler sounds like a fine piece of equipment.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well, the remote and printer is something I think I'd prefer - or at least the ability to d/l to my 'puter and then print out. As time permits, I really wanna go back and rework my loads - and printed info always beats my hen-scratchin'!<G>

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Here is the run down on accessories for the Pro Chrono Digital. Competition Electronics

You can get all this from Shooters Connection and if you are a member of Brian Enos Forums you can create an account and qualify for a discount.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    This is the one I have you can have it in 3 days from here. Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph - MidwayUSA
    I used it all day in 104 deg sunny weather, complete cloud cover and dispelled the rumor you can't use Montana gold boolits and all you need to get is a tripod from best buy for $35.00. What is nice is you can turn it off go home and look at your results. It holds 9 strings of 99 shots. You would like it.

I absolutely love mine. Now, I want to add the remote control, so I don't bother the guys at the range every time I have to change strings.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have an old Oehler 33 that I've had for years and it taught me a lot about chronographs. I gave $300 for it about 20 years ago.

1) Gotta have a way to rig sky screen shields. The eyes go blind with a clear sky above them.
    2) I'd never buy a unit that had the readout and the eyes together. I mounted my photo eyes on a wooden frame and put 1/4" plate angled upward in the front. There have been MANY bullet impacts on those plates and each one represents a trashed eye if the plate wasn't there. I'd sure hate to have the computer downrange, too.
    3) Gotta have an aimpoint behind the eyes. I used a large clamp and placed a target on it. Too easy to smash the equipment without an aim point.
    4) Needs long enough cables. It's great to have a muzzle velocity close to the gun but sometimes it's not practical. We tested a cannon with a 1" bore and the blast was so bad, it blew the whole chronograph setup downrange! It definitely needed some room!
    5) Don't worry about the initial cost. The things last forever if you don't shoot them.

Flash

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Not really selling it but you can't beat $96 from Midway. If you didn't live so far I would let you borrow it.

Let's work out a day we can go out to the range and chrono some stuff. I want to test out some loads to make sure they meet power factor before the regional.

Top Bottom