• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    Looking to go with a new cell, What do you think 3G, 4G?
    I was thinking of the I phone or one of the HTC models. A big display is important as well as speed.
    :banghead:

Thanks

J
    Guns International

ZeR0BuG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    SE, TX
    If you're on Verizon. Go for it. LTE is very fast.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless HTC Incredible.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I have a 4G phone (HTC Evo) and while the 4G is fast, it's not really what it's cracked up to be. Browsing on a phone sucks, and even one with a big screen like the Evo. I find the 3G speeds to be sufficient for looking up stuff, but if you are one of those guys that lives on their phone (cough, Travis, haha) then the 4G might work for you. If you want to use the phone as a mobile WiFi hotspot then by all means, go 4G.

Be sure to check your carriers 4G coverage area, it's kinda hit and miss in outlying areas (suburbs).

I kinda resisted the smart phone for a while, but it's allowed me to keep track of the forum remotely and get a jump on priority emails. It's also a decent camera in a pinch and text messaging (that I swore I would never pick up) is really handy for a more private conversation, sending non time critical info, or keeping track of small data (addresses, phone numbers, dates, etc.) without having to resort to email.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    I have a 4G phone (HTC Evo) and while the 4G is fast, it's not really what it's cracked up to be. Browsing on a phone sucks, and even one with a big screen like the Evo. I find the 3G speeds to be sufficient for looking up stuff, but if you are one of those guys that lives on their phone (cough, Travis, haha) then the 4G might work for you. If you want to use the phone as a mobile WiFi hotspot then by all means, go 4G.

Be sure to check your carriers 4G coverage area, it's kinda hit and miss in outlying areas (suburbs).

I kinda resisted the smart phone for a while, but it's allowed me to keep track of the forum remotely and get a jump on priority emails. It's also a decent camera in a pinch and text messaging (that I swore I would never pick up) is really handy for a more private conversation, sending non time critical info, or keeping track of small data (addresses, phone numbers, dates, etc.) without having to resort to email.

Thanks for the info, I may look at the 3G options later today.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Wait. Don't buy a new phone yet.

New phones are coming out in the next 3-6 months that will feature glasses-free 3D technology like the Nintendo 3DS (only better). They will have two cameras and be able to take photographs and video in 3D as well as 3D apps and games.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Run away from anything Apple. iPhones are overpriced and proprietary to the point that you can't even swap batteries or sim cards.... Both of which come in very handy.

I have a Samsung Captivate Android OS phone. I love it. Plugged my sim card in and instantly had all of my contacts, numbers, etc. It even came with an extra battery.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I just moved up from a BB Curve to the Incredible 2 last week. The BB was all business, but with this thing... I'm playing with it all of the time. Needless to say, I'm having battery life problems. There are a few tweaks I tried today that will hopefully fix that though.

I didn't even think about getting an iphone. Not that I am going to root/hack my phone right away, but I will sometime in the future I'm sure.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    My advice is mess around with whatever phones your interested in an choose which works best for you.

My opinion and experience is the iphone is currently the best on the market because it's versatile, user friendly, and surprisingly durable with the right case. iphone's aren't expensive as one might think you can pick them up for like $50 with a contract and a couple of hundred without a contract. I've had my Iphone for 3 years and it runs just as good as the day I got it. I had an HTC for 2 weeks that was a company phone it was ok at best and ended up getting rid of it and brokered a deal for the company to just pay my personal cell phone bill.

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    I just ditched my iphone for a samsung infuse and i absolutely love it. Especially compared to crApple products.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Android.
    One thing about the HTC phones: they put their own version of Android on their phones. Lots of bloatware that clutters it up. Many users root and put custom ROMs on them. This makes it run faster and extends battery.

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX
    Android and root it. HTC if possible. Samsung have great screens, but are always a bit weaker on reception then there HTC brethren. As for VZW 4g, skip it for now, the battery life is horrible, and the phones are massively heavy and thick.

BTW im in the cell biz, if you have any weird techy questions, I hate to admit I probaly know the answer.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    HTC sensation. I have an HD2 running android 2.2 with sense, it's on the NAND. I don't like it. All the android conversions I've put on this phone have been glitchy, this one has been the most stable, but it still has it's problems. I have installed android on the RAM, the NAND, the SD card.... nothing is perfect. Ram is fastest though. Glitchier than my G1 ever was.

For the record, I've had 2 HD2's, both had problems.

weiss27md

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Pflugerville, TX
    Get a carrier that has true unlimited data, stay away from these companies that are capping data because next they'll be capping your minutes. Go with either Sprint or Verizon, Verizon is more expensive though but better service. Do yourself a favor and get an Android phone, you won't regret it. HTC makes some of the best, or either Samsung, Sony Ericsson, or Motorola. I have 3 lines on Sprint and it's great. Sprints great as long as you have good Sprint coverage. Just get a 4G too because it will cost the same either way.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I have a Samsung Captivate on AT&T.
    For xmas I bought my wife an HTC Evo on Sprint.

Her phone constantly pisses me off in that it (combined with sprint) is light years better than mine (on AT&T). (She has coverage when I dont, her GPS isnt a piece of shit, her internet is faster, she does not end up with stealth messages and voicemails, Her phone plan with unlimited everything is cheaper than mine, etc.)

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX
    Both have good phones and bad phones. I had my choice of new VZW phones from work, I got another HTC. The current lineup from Moto just isnt that great. If/When the bionic comes out, that may change it up a bit.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    HTC sensation. I have an HD2 running android 2.2 with sense, it's on the NAND. I don't like it. All the android conversions I've put on this phone have been glitchy, this one has been the most stable, but it still has it's problems. I have installed android on the RAM, the NAND, the SD card.... nothing is perfect. Ram is fastest though. Glitchier than my G1 ever was.

For the record, I've had 2 HD2's, both had problems.
    I had the same issues with the HD2. Put every ROM I could find on XDA with terrible performance. Best I found was with vanilla 2.2. now have a MT4G running 2.3.3 and love it. Get rid of the HD2 if you can.

Top Bottom