• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Well I think I've finally had enough BS from the private security industry. I'm thinking about maybe trying my hand at plumbing or electrical work or maybe something else. I would probably like either of the two but plumbing would be a hell of a lot better in the install side of things LOL. Any other ideas out there?

tap talked from a phone yeah im on my phone! it's crazy!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Does the smell of poop bother you? Would it bother your wife/gf if you came home smelling like poo everyday? Does crawling in dirty tight spaces with spiders, snakes, rats and other critters bother you? If not, then be a plumber! It's a great self employment opportunity and you'll make pretty good money. Everyone needs a plumber from time to time...

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Does the smell of poop bother you? Would it bother your wife/gf if you came home smelling like poo everyday? Does crawling in dirty tight spaces with spiders, snakes, rats and other critters bother you? If not, then be a plumber! It's a great self employment opportunity and you'll make pretty good money. Everyone needs a plumber from time to time...

That's a residential service plumber.
    He's talking about commercial new construction.
    It's usually hot when you're running the pipe, but you're not handling poop. By the time you set the fixtures, hopefully, the building is air conditioned.

Tapatalk sent it.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Lots of areas need medical technicians. The training is pretty straight-forward, the pay is fairly good, and no one gives a damn how old you are when you start training.

In medicine, from the outside looking in, the older you look, the better (Wow, that dude has lots of experience)!

On the other hand, the young bucks might give you grief for joining their field where competition for advancement could be intense.

It is no better or worse than any other field, but in medicine there will always be a need to take care of sick folks.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have a friend that just graduated trade school for working on medical equipment I might call him up and see how That's going. And yes commercial install is definitely the line of plumbing I'm looking into. No crawling around wit spiders and snakes for me. Although I would do a lot of shooting at work. LOL. I'm talking to a friend about the oil field but the wife doesn't seem to like that idea much.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That's a residential service plumber.
    He's talking about commercial new construction.
    It's usually hot when you're running the pipe, but you're not handling poop. By the time you set the fixtures, hopefully, the building is air conditioned.
    Ah, nice... Yeah that would be the smart way to do it My ex-father in law is a plumber and he does all the nasty work. He doesnt have to get that dirty anymore however, because he has employees now. He definitely makes good money and it's nice to be self employed like that.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Yeah all the plumbers that own their own business say they don't want their guys to get tjeier master plumbing license because then they quit and start their own company. LOL.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    What about diesel mechanic? Any of those around? What is everyday operation like? I almost went to trade school for it after high-school.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    If you decide on being a plumber, there is really only 4 things you need to know.

1) Shit flows downhill.
    2) The boss is always right.
    3) Payday is on Friday.
    4) Don't bite your fingernails.

Master that, and you are good to go.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Lineman. On the job training, good pay and I've never regretted it. Local power company may be hiring. 30+ years for me, now I just sit and watch. :D

on the phone

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    If you decide on being a plumber, there is really only 4 things you need to know.

1) Shit flows downhill.
    2) The boss is always right.
    3) Payday is on Friday.
    4) Don't bite your fingernails.

Master that, and you are good to go.

True. And get used to being called a turd chaser. LOL.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Build and maintain high voltage lines. Sounds dangerous but if you follow procedures it is safer than driving. Most new hires are starting around 15 per hour. Journeymen make around 25 to 30.

on the phone

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Build and maintain high voltage lines. Sounds dangerous but if you follow procedures it is safer than driving. Most new hires are starting around 15 per hour. Journeymen make around 25 to 30.

on the phone

Sounds worth looking into.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    My cousin trained to be a firefighter, after 3 years of waiting he finally got on with the leander fire department. He says he makes good money.

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    If you get your CDL, many companies here in West Texas are offering a sign on bonus.

Problem is, finding a place to live.

Good luck in your search. I've been in the oil/gas industry for 34 years and it's treated me well. Work is hard, hours are long and the paychecks are big. LOL

Brad

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Been working tugboats for 13 years now. The pay is decent getting started but as I pilot I work three weeks on and three weeks off with a damn fine paycheck. Depends on what you're looking for. Some people can't stand being gone that long at a stretch, but that being said I actually get more QUALITY time with friends and family than anyone I know working a so called "regular" job.

Top Bottom