DK Firearms

bullet seating depth, how tall is too tall?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I have 2 remington 700's, one in .308 and one in .22-250, both require an abnormally high bullet seating depth before the ogive is close enough to the lands to make good accuracy and minimize free-bore (far out enough to where the magazine cant be used and single shot is the only way).

I'm just wondering if anyone else has this going for them. I've reloaded some .300 win in a Weatherby vanguard that is just a bit taller than factory specs but remington seems to just like free-bore.
    Target Sports

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    It's perfectly acceptable to modify the cartridge OAL so the bullet is closer to the lands to improve accuracy. I seat the 80 grain bullets for my AR out since they are single loaded during matches at the 600 yard line. I have to seat the 77 grain bullets to factory spec so they will feed in the mags for the 200 and 300 yard rapid fire stages.

I had a problem with my Mdl 700 in .280 Remington since the lands did not allow certain bullets to be seated out to even recommended OAL. I was getting contact with the lands with some Speer and Sierra bullets. I had a gunsmith bore out the chamber slightly so I could get some relief on how far out I could seat them.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    You may want to keep in mind ogive changes with bullet types.
    I measure for ogive to lands with each different bullet type but by following the equal ogive seating rule with a 150 grain sierra gameking, i'm still way off the lands. It's still the most accurate round I have found but I just wanted to see if this was a reoccurring thing or if I just got 2 rifles with tons of free bore.
    I believe in this situation it was the fact that they are both remingtons that were made at a date when law suits for other peoples foolishness over-ran common reloaders wishes.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I've only loaded for one Remington and it was a .22-250 with Nosler BT's they barely fit in the mag. also have to load them in kinda diagonal becouse of the actio bing so short. I have heard of alot of .257 Weatherby's in the mark 5's having alot of free bore so that all you could do is load to mag length.

Top Bottom