• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheRealT-Dawg

Devil Dog 4Life
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    MO City, TX
    Not sure if this has been brought up but...

I know in Louisana and other places, they put bounties of Nutria Rats (i think about $5 a tail) and was wondering if we do that down here in the Houston Area?

If so, how does one go about it? As in, is there anything 'legal' i have to go about doing before setting out on a Nutria Rat expedition? Who exactly do i turn in the "bounties" to?

Also, anyone know of possibly potential good areas to begin looking for some Rats? Preferably South - Southwest Houston as i dont really feel like traveling far just to put down rats.

i plan on getting a 10/22 in the near future and Im sure the bounty here would be around $5 too, but honestly the way i see it:

Hunting + Cash = Fun!
    Gun Zone Deals

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011

Langenator

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    College Station
    IIRC, nutria burrow into levees...thus why they're a major problem for Louisiana.

They've got enough problems with sub-standard levees without ROUSs putting holes in them.

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    [h=1]This was on KXAN 36 Austin awhile back:

Wild pigs can put money in your bank[/h][h=2]Hays and Caldwell to pay $2 for each hog killed[/h]Updated: Friday, 07 Sep 2012, 10:57 AM CDT
    Published : Thursday, 06 Sep 2012, 6:53 PM CDT

HAYS COUNTY, Texas (KXAN) - Hays and Caldwell counties have put bounties on the feral hog populations in their areas. County officials voted to pay $2 a tail for any feral hog killed in either county.
    The program begins on Oct. 1 and runs until the end of the year.
    Nick Dornak, the Plum Creek Watershed coordinator and an advocate for the program, said that the hogs are present in the counties. “And when they’re present, they’re a problem.”
    The Plum Creek Watershed , along with the San Marcos River Foundation and the Hays County master naturalist, have all expressed their desire to control the population.
    The counties are concerned about property damage and environmental damage caused by the hogs.
    No permits are needed to participate in the program, and the locations and times for collection of the evidence – the tails – have not yet been established.
    Hays County will also offer a series of informational meetings about feral hogs.
    Hays County commissioners have put forward $1,500 for the program, and Caldwell County will offer $1,000. If the program is successful Dornak plans to ask the counties for more money.
    The Plum Creek Watershed group hopes that the cull will reduce E-coli levels in Plum Creek.

TheRealT-Dawg

Devil Dog 4Life
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    MO City, TX
    I've never heard of a bounty for any animal in Texas and never heard anyone talk about hunting nutria. I've certainly seen some 20 pounders out here.

I'm gonna send you my address and bill for doing your googlefu, you can thank me with a check.

TPWD: Fur-bearing Animals
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_w7000_0065.pdf

There are 3 days remaining in alligator season if you want to be a man and go big.
    thanks for the links... and gators??? just let me fetch my knife and Australian accent, then ill go
    This was on KXAN 36 Austin awhile back:

Wild pigs can put money in your bank

Hays and Caldwell to pay $2 for each hog killed

Updated: Friday, 07 Sep 2012, 10:57 AM CDT
    Published : Thursday, 06 Sep 2012, 6:53 PM CDT
    HAYS COUNTY, Texas (KXAN) - Hays and Caldwell counties have put bounties on the feral hog populations in their areas. County officials voted to pay $2 a tail for any feral hog killed in either county.
    The program begins on Oct. 1 and runs until the end of the year.
    Nick Dornak, the Plum Creek Watershed coordinator and an advocate for the program, said that the hogs are present in the counties. “And when they’re present, they’re a problem.”
    The Plum Creek Watershed , along with the San Marcos River Foundation and the Hays County master naturalist, have all expressed their desire to control the population.
    The counties are concerned about property damage and environmental damage caused by the hogs.
    No permits are needed to participate in the program, and the locations and times for collection of the evidence – the tails – have not yet been established.
    Hays County will also offer a series of informational meetings about feral hogs.
    Hays County commissioners have put forward $1,500 for the program, and Caldwell County will offer $1,000. If the program is successful Dornak plans to ask the counties for more money.
    The Plum Creek Watershed group hopes that the cull will reduce E-coli levels in Plum Creek.
    id have to kill a bunch of hogs to make up for gas money LOL.... but then again, its all about the fun right? HAHA
    IIRC, nutria burrow into levees...thus why they're a major problem for Louisiana.

They've got enough problems with sub-standard levees without ROUSs putting holes in them.
    I figured this, and although they are invasive here as well, I don't see them AS BIG a problem compared to LA... which is probably why they're not sought out for in terms of bounties?

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Our county (Fannin) has had bountys on coyotes in the recent past but we aren't wet enough to have to worry about Nutria.

Also have local bountys on hogs.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Couple years ago in the Harris County area it was $15 per left ear after there was a sudden spike in Coyote attacks NE of Houston. We just took them to the local P&WL office and get paid.

Where were you permitted to shoot them? On sight or what?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    Back in the 70's when I was living in the Beaumont area, a friend and I would spotlight/ shoot Nutria in the head with a .22. There was a fur-buyer that would pay $1.00 a piece for them whole. We could get about 40-50 each on Fri. and Sat nights on Hildebrand bayou, not bad money for having fun. I think we had to have a trappers license to "harvest" the hides. We thought we would rid the world of rats, never even made a dent in the population.

Top Bottom