• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    The 243 brass was a walk in the park - all of it had only been fired once. 223 brass is a different story. A lot of it is scavenged from the range but it all looks alright. However, having gotten everything ready I have discovered that a lot of them have necks that are too big to hold the bullet. Is there another die I need to get to squeeze it down so the bullet will seat properly?
    Target Sports

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Are the necks belled? The sizing die should be sizing the necks, are you sure you are running them completely through the die?

Mic them and see ... I can mic a few pieces I got laying around as well.

What dies / bullets / headstamps?

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    The necks are straight, just large in diameter. Just eyeballing them they look fine.
    It's possible I didnt do the depriming & sizing die right the first time.

I'm using Lee dies w/ 224 VMAX bullets. NOt sure what the headstamp is unless you are refering to the Lee press.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    The headstamp is the info on the bottom of the case (brand, year, code, etc.). What press are you using? Are you using a full length die or a neck sizing die?

You should be full length sizing for an AR. If you are full length sizing you might not have the die setup low enough in the press. It should be contacting the shell holder when the ram gets to the top of it's stroke. If you are neck sizing, the Lee's are collet sizers, which means they need the press ram to put pressure against the base of the die to size the neck. Lee suggests 20 lbs of pressure.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    the headstamps are all over the place - most of my 223 brass is scavenged.

But I've now been told by 2 sources that the sizing die should have taken care of this. Guess I'll go try it again and see if I can do it right this time.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    And again the sizing die should fix this. The way I adjust my sizing dies is to bring the ram all the way up by lowering the handle to full stroke. Run the sizing die all the way in until it contacts the shellholder. Lower the ram and turn the sizing die in another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Then lock down the die.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    That was it. I now have 50 rounds of 223 loaded up and ready to go for wednesday.

Learned a few things through this experience. Hopefully they are all good.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    I'd strongly suggest you get a case gauge and check all your cases for headspace before loading and shooting. They are available from many sources, but here's a link to Dillon:

Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

These will check to see that the length is correct, the neck setback is correct and not excessive, and that the overall dimensions are within allowable lilmits. I wouldn't relaod for a gas gun without one.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    I'd guess you're new to reloading from your original post. Let me make one more recommendation-- Get a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading", available from Amazon.com or probably any GOOD bookstore, and read that puppy front to back. It will explain just about everything about reloading and most of the common problems you are likely to encounter. I'm hoping you already have a couple of good reloading manuals to read. If not, get at least two, preferably more.

Reloading if done properly is safe and reliable. If not done properly, you could be wearing your rifle on your face. Not good juju. Be sure you know exactly what you are doing, and be sure all of your ammo is good before you go to the range with it.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    I've read two books - the Horandy one and the Lee one. The ABC book is on my Amazon list, but I've been so freaking insanely busy I'm falling way behind on my reading. At the moment I'm out of everything anyway and it's going to be a while before I have time to even contemplate doing another set...so I guess I'll order that book and fit it in with the other stuff I need to read.

Top Bottom