• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    ... I generally don't gut them in the field unless it will be a while before I quarter them. I use a technique for quartering where all the guts stay in the carcase and I only open up the belly just enough to "surgically" remove the tender loins....

!

I'd be interested to see this. I assume from your quick description that you are not keeping the hides in one piece, right? Have you found this method more effective in keeping the meat from contamination from the guts/anus/guck-n-stuff?

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Pretty much sums it up. I process all my meat because I like to know exactly how it's handled and it tastes better than anything I've ever had from a processor. If you have the facilities to do so, it helps to wash it good with a water hose (I've even used a pressure washer) before cutting into it. I generally don't gut them in the field unless it will be a while before I quarter them. I use a technique for quartering where all the guts stay in the carcase and I only open up the belly just enough to "surgically" remove the tender loins.

We processed them back at camp 99.99% of the time. Gutting them in the field is a PITA compared to a decent processing setup. I did the "no gut" approach a lot to get the quarters and backstrap, but had to leave the tenderloins for the coyotes (I know, blasphemy, but when you have 5-10 deer to cut up...). How did you get those out from under the ribcage? Did they have to be laid on their side vs hanging? This would be an awesome write-up.

Pretty much sums it up. I process all my meat because I like to know exactly how it's handled and it tastes better than anything I've ever had from a processor. If you have the facilities to do so, it helps to wash it good with a water hose (I've even used a pressure washer) before cutting into it. I generally don't gut them in the field unless it will be a while before I quarter them. I use a technique for quartering where all the guts stay in the carcase and I only open up the belly just enough to "surgically" remove the tender loins.

A couple of tips you need to remember- Always cut the hide from the inside. Make a small hole and slide your knife under the hide. This reduces loose hair significantly. Keep the hide turned inside out and avoid touching the meat after toughing the hide as much as possible. Wash as much blood off of the meat as possible before it dries. Remove as much blood shot tissue as possible. If it's warm don't let the meat "hang" to drain or cool off. Get it on ice promptly. Pack the meat in a cooler with a good layer of ice under the meat first and on all sides. I use large chunks of ice I get from freezing milk jugs and breaking it up with a hatchet. Cube ice is good for filling in the holes or topping off but the chuncks last longer. I typically let the meat sit in the cooler for 5-7 days before final processing. During this time I keep all water drained off and keep the ice topped off. When final processing I keep the meat cool and allow it to drain as much as possible. You would be surprised how much more blood will come out of the quarters even after they have been draining for a week. I use colanders sitting in big stainless bowls to allow the cut meat to drain further before grinding or packing.

I'm sure I've forgotten some stuff but this is what I do in a nutshell. Enjoy your harvest!

Some great tips here!

One tip of my own. If you have the means you can sometimes get used pickup bed inserts with freezer setups for cheap, and use them as walk-in freezers. They're great for aging beef too if you keep them just above freezing.

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    We processed them back at camp 99.99% of the time. Gutting them in the field is a PITA compared to a decent processing setup. I did the "no gut" approach a lot to get the quarters and backstrap, but had to leave the tenderloins for the coyotes (I know, blasphemy, but when you have 5-10 deer to cut up...). How did you get those out from under the ribcage? Did they have to be laid on their side vs hanging? This would be an awesome write-up.

Some great tips here!

One tip of my own. If you have the means you can sometimes get used pickup bed inserts with freezer setups for cheap, and use them as walk-in freezers. They're great for aging beef too if you keep them just above freezing.

I wish I had some pics because it would be a lot easier than trying to explain it but the process is simple. I hang them by the hind legs and cut the belly loose where it attaches in the crotch area. The guts slump away but are contained by the rib cage and the tenderloins are exposed.

I would love to have the facilities for a walk in cooler. I would dry age everything!

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    I'd be interested to see this. I assume from your quick description that you are not keeping the hides in one piece, right? Have you found this method more effective in keeping the meat from contamination from the guts/anus/guck-n-stuff?

I usually do keep them in one piece because I use the hide as it comes off for more leverage to peel it down to the neck.

If you do it correctly you will get no contamination at all. You do have to know where not to cut, mostly around the bladder, but it's not that hard once see it done. I cut around the anus and the colon is pulled though the pelvis and tucked into the guts.

Top Bottom