• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhineland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2024
    Austin, Texas
    After just receiving my Trijicon TA11F I'm already looking at the next upgrade. There seems to be a lot of really impressive LVPO optics out there but it's hard to shortlist them. Looking for something that is illuminated, haven't decided if FFP or SFP is best, I prefer FFP for long range optics but might feel different for something up close. What's everyone's thoughts? I am not necessarily going for highest magnification = best, I know there's a lot more to it. Should add this will be going on AR-15's and AR-10's, maybe a Sig MCX Spear firing .277 if I can get my hands on one.

Vortex:
    Razor Gen III 1-10x24
    Razor Gen II-E 1-6x24

Sig:
    Tango 6T 1-6x24

Nightforce:
    ATACR – 1-8x24mm F1

Trijicon:
    Credo HX

Any other high end LVPO's I'm missing?

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Vcog.

IMG_20230331_203015.jpg

Like an ACOG, but adjustable.

Rhineland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2024
    Austin, Texas
    I’m considering it.

Really hard to test them in person which is why I was asking. One thing I don’t like about the VCOG is that huge battery cylinder off to the side for the illuminated red dot.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I’m considering it.

Really hard to test them in person which is why I was asking. One thing I don’t like about the VCOG is that huge battery cylinder off to the side for the illuminated red dot.
    You don't really notice the battery compartment. One nice thing about it is it uses AA's, and has a respectable run time, over 600 hours

No need to worry abour rings either, as it uses ACOG bases

Eta i hate LPVOs and the VCOG is the only one that i like

Last edited:

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I have used quite a few different examples, from Strike Eagles to Valdadas.

The Kahles K18i really should be on your short list.

The Burris RT6 can not be beat FOR VALUE. Note this does not mean it is “the best”.

I really want to get my hands on a Arken EP8.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    You don't really notice the battery compartment. One nice thing about it is it uses AA's, and has a respectable run time, over 600 hours

No need to worry abour rings either, as it uses ACOG bases

Eta i hate LPVOs and the VCOG is the only one that i like

Interesting, why do you not like LPVOs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Interesting, why do you not like LPVOs?

Weight, length, cost/quality, eyebox, FOV, glass clarity at max magnification are my typical complaints.

I also think the LPVO market has lost sight of what made LPVO's so neat. Now instead of a compact, lightweight 1-4x, you have these monstrous 1-10 or 1-12's that are nearly totally unusable at max magnification.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Weight, length, cost/quality, eyebox, FOV, glass clarity at max magnification are my typical complaints.

I also think the LPVO market has lost sight of what made LPVO's so neat. Now instead of a compact, lightweight 1-4x, you have these monstrous 1-10 or 1-12's that are nearly totally unusable at max magnification.
    I’m curious, which ones have you tried?

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I’m curious, which ones have you tried?

Im going to miss a few, but in no particular order, meopta optica-6 1-6, leupold 1.5-4, vortex crossfire 1-4, pst 1-4, pst 1-6*, razor gen 2 1-6*, swampfox arrowhead 1-10*, atibal 1-10*, nikon 1-4* leupold cqt 1-4* (the one thats covered in pic rails) trijicon credo 1-8*, trijicon vcog 1-6* trijicon vcog 1-8.

The ones with * next to them, i didn’t personally own. They either belonged to friends, family, or co workers. I only listed the ones I've shot at least 100 rounds through.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I don’t have the time or patience to type everything I would like to say. I’ll try to hit some highlights.

Glass clarity/color is usually directly tied to cost. The best glass I have personally seen in an LPVO is the Kahles. Stands to reason, as it’s Swarovski glass. The Valdadas were second best. Of course there are diminishing returns.
    Eye box is a biggie. The eye box is a direct function of exit pupil. The smaller the exit pupil, the shittier the eye box will be. This is universal, regardless of cost. Exit pupil can be found by dividing the objective diameter by the magnification.
    Thus a 10x optic with a 24mm objective will only have a 2.4mm exit pupil, and a horrible eye box. A 8x with a 28mm objective will have a 3.5mm exit pupil, with a really decent eye box. It’s no coincidence the Trijicon you like is the only 28mm optic of the ones you listed.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I don’t have the time or patience to type everything I would like to say. I’ll try to hit some highlights.

Glass clarity/color is usually directly tied to cost. The best glass I have personally seen in an LPVO is the Kahles. Stands to reason, as it’s Swarovski glass. The Valdadas were second best. Of course there are diminishing returns.
    Eye box is a biggie. The eye box is a direct function of exit pupil. The smaller the exit pupil, the shittier the eye box will be. This is universal, regardless of cost. Exit pupil can be found by dividing the objective diameter by the magnification.
    Thus a 10x optic with a 24mm objective will only have a 2.4mm exit pupil, and a horrible eye box. A 8x with a 28mm objective will have a 3.5mm exit pupil, with a really decent eye box. It’s no coincidence the Trijicon you like is the only 28mm optic of the ones you listed.
    I understand, my list of "thing i don't like" is in general. One optic may have a great eye box and clarity, but may fall short in other areas.

There are quite a few other 1-8's that i like as well, the Nx8 is nice, the credo is nice

The reason i like the vcog is that i don't have to worry about rings, and while the 1-8 is heavier and bigger than the 1-6, the 1-8 doesn't have the diopter issues the 1-6 has.

The idea of an LPVO is to be a compact, lightweight general purpose optic. Most 1-6 or 1-8's are pushing 25-30oz after you add a good mount. For the same weight, you can get *2* TA31 ECOS acogs, and the ACOG will be cheaper, well, one of them will be.

Last edited:

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine

You bring up some good points.

I only have experience with one, it’s an older Burris 2-7 compact scope that I’ve primarily used on an AR or Mini-14 for hunting. It has proven to be very reliable & I’ve used it a lot for night time hunting. Very compact & lightweight for sure.

I think if I were to get another one I would look for something in a 1-6 range.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    You bring up some good points.

I only have experience with one, it’s an older Burris 2-7 compact scope that I’ve primarily used on an AR or Mini-14 for hunting. It has proven to be very reliable & I’ve used it a lot for night time hunting. Very compact & lightweight for sure.

I think if I were to get another one I would look for something in a 1-6 range.

I think a good 2-10 is a fantastic choice for an SPR type rifle. If i wasn't happy with my vcog, I'd probably get a Leopold mk5 2-10

DocBeech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Paradise
    March 1.5 - 15 x 42 or March 2.5 - 25 x 42. Both are FFP compact scopes. Can focus down to 10 yards. Are illuminated. Weigh roughly 21 ounces.

larcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2023
    Orange
    I've got a slightly older march 1x10 SFP. Not the newer fancy shorties, etc.

The gladd is great and it's impeccable at about 1-5x but holy does the eyebox get small from about 8-10x.

It's on my pesting airgun, so the adjustable parallax/focus was 100% neccessary and there aren't many lpvo options with that, but just worth noting.

larcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2023
    Orange
    I think a good 2-10 is a fantastic choice for an SPR type rifle. If i wasn't happy with my vcog, I'd probably get a Leopold mk5 2-10
    Can you talk a little more about the VCOG? Never been able to put hands on one at a store and there is surprisingly little info about them, even at places like snipershide.

I'm _eventually_ going to get a nice 308 semi and kind of like the VCOG design...

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Can you talk a little more about the VCOG? Never been able to put hands on one at a store and there is surprisingly little info about them, even at places like snipershide.

I'm _eventually_ going to get a nice 308 semi and kind of like the VCOG design...

It's heavy, but once you factor in the weight of a good mount for any other 1-8, it's right in line with other options.

Glass is as clear as it gets. I'll put it next to a Nightforce, Swarovski, anything.

Reticle is daylight bright, has good run time at roughly 600hrs at mid settings. I've been using the same battery for over a year, so there's no parasitic drain. AA's are everywhere, so thats awesome.

Clicks are on the mushy side, but still easily discernable

The body is forged aluminum, so you're going to have a hard time killing it. I don't have any actual data, but i have no doubt it's going to be the most durable 1-8 out there.

Caps are dummy corded to the optic, which is really nice.

I did a review Here

larcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2023
    Orange
    It's heavy, but once you factor in the weight of a good mount for any other 1-8, it's right in line with other options.

Glass is as clear as it gets. I'll put it next to a Nightforce, Swarovski, anything.

Reticle is daylight bright, has good run time at roughly 600hrs at mid settings. I've been using the same battery for over a year, so there's no parasitic drain. AA's are everywhere, so thats awesome.

Clicks are on the mushy side, but still easily discernable

The body is forged aluminum, so you're going to have a hard time killing it. I don't have any actual data, but i have no doubt it's going to be the most durable 1-8 out there.

Caps are dummy corded to the optic, which is really nice.

I did a review Here
    Thank you, I'll check the review out. Curious about eyebox and fov.

Top Bottom