• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I love battleships and the Texas is special for obvious reasons. It’s got an amazing history. One of the most awesome sights I’ve ever seen was looking at it through a drizzling rain from the top of the San Jacinto monument.

The battleship has been on life support for years after plans to dry doc her had to b scrapped. She’s got pumps running 24/7 trying to keep the sea on the outside. Her engines have been very close to falling through the hull, and she’s sinking back in to the mud.

It looks like there may be some hope for her though, with the risk that she may not return to Texas. Or survive the trip to dry doc.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...attleship-Texas-concerns-divides-14062593.php

Personally I would go full out and spend everyone’s money to have her fully restored but since nobody will make me the supreme dictator I can only spread word and hope things work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    What she needs is a coffer dam to turn her slip into a mud hole. That green stuff in the ship channel will eat through anything. Jack her up on those ugly concrete mooring posts and weld her in place. Repair her lovely bottom, and let back just enough water so she looks at home. Had the pleasure of watching her come and go last time she went to dry dock. If we let her go she may not return. The last Dreadnought in the world deserves better

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    It is a crying shame that it was ever allowed to get to this condition. I have visited it since the 60’s.

With any luck they won’t let the same thing happen to the Lexington.
    The Lex can’t get out cheaply. They dredged for a long time to get her in there.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What she needs is a coffer dam to turn her slip into a mud hole. That green stuff in the ship channel will eat through anything. Jack her up on those ugly concrete mooring posts and weld her in place. Repair her lovely bottom, and let back just enough water so she looks at home. Had the pleasure of watching her come and go last time she went to dry dock. If we let her go she may not return. The last Dreadnought in the world deserves better

There was a plan to do pretty much exactly that, but by the time the money had been raised and the state approved the remaining costs it was found that there was a good chance that the boilers would fall through the bottom of the ship as soon as the water is gone. The money was instead directed to shoring up the boilers and long term maintenance.

No idea what the actual condition is at this point, but I assume it’s somewhat improved if they think it can make the journey to Louisiana.

I think there was an idea to have her in permanent dry doc with a low level walkway so you could actually walk and look below the waterline. That would be amazing, but a little sad to see her out of water.

Either way, I’ll have to go back again before they have her moved with the chance she could end up lost to the gulf or sitting in the foreign harbor of some other state.

rexster314

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    What I've been reading is that Galveston is campaigning hard to get it once it gets out of dry dock in a year or so. It's supposed to be moved out of San Jacinto park near the end of this year

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What I've been reading is that Galveston is campaigning hard to get it once it gets out of dry dock in a year or so. It's supposed to be moved out of San Jacinto park near the end of this year

From what I’ve found Galveston is more talk than action. They’ve offered to take the ship but have pretty much said outright they would do nothing to help fund the relocation.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    One of the last things in the area that is still in Texas ...
    Sure hate to see it go, and will donate to keep it where it is.
    Is there a funding site?

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I read that this is the last weekend the Texas will be open to the public at its current location in La Porte. Then, it's off to Galveston for shipyard repairs.

The last I heard, Corpus Christi, Galveston, and Baytown are all competing to be chosen as the future home of the battleship. To me, from the standpoint of actually becoming a popular tourist destination, Galveston would be the logical choice.

It would be way cool to see it being towed past the monument and out into the bay.

Anybody have any information on when it might be making the trip to Galveston for repair/restoration?

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    I saw a KPRC Channel 2 video this morning and am watching again now.

The 108 year old, built in 1914, battleship was leaking 2000gpm drained by fifty pumps. It’s been mitigated to less than 20gpm using two or three pumps.

This weekend is the last weekend receiving the public.

Sometime in late June she will be towed to Galveston to the Gulf Copper Dry Dock Shipyard to restore the hull, deck, deck guns which have already been removed, and a new paint job.

The potential new homes are Galveston, Beaumont, and Baytown per the video on YouTube entitled “Battleship Texas opening to public one last time this weekend before leaving San Jacinto Battleg....”

Last edited:

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    The potential new homes are Galveston, Beaumont, and Baytown per the video on YouTube.

You are correct. Somehow I got Corpus Christi thrown in there as one of the options. Given the options of Beaumont, Baytown, and Galveston, that makes me more prone to think Galveston would be the most popular choice as the next home for the Texas.

Galveston is already a tourist destination and the Texas will be visited by many who are already there for the beach, restaurants, fishing, Strand, etc.

Nothing against Baytown or Beaumont, but they are most certainly not tourist destinations, and folks would be going to either of those cities just to see the battleship.

For the life of me, I can't imagine an ad campaign promoting Beaumont or Baytown as a tourist destination. "Come see our refineries and inhale the smells of petrochemical success!"

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I read that this is the last weekend the Texas will be open to the public at its current location in La Porte. Then, it's off to Galveston for shipyard repairs.

The last I heard, Corpus Christi, Galveston, and Baytown are all competing to be chosen as the future home of the battleship. To me, from the standpoint of actually becoming a popular tourist destination, Galveston would be the logical choice.

It would be way cool to see it being towed past the monument and out into the bay.

Anybody have any information on when it might be making the trip to Galveston for repair/restoration?

Last I heard, nobody was “competing”. Corpus never wanted it as they fear it would draw money and attendance away from the Lexington. Galveston said “sure, we might take it. But you pay for the pier and all costs to get her berthed” which is out of the question realistically. I don’t recall any other serious contenders.

My info may be dated, but last I heard was that her best options were in ports on the West coast. I really hope she comes back to Texas though.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Last I heard, nobody was “competing”. Corpus never wanted it as they fear it would draw money and attendance away from the Lexington. Galveston said “sure, we might take it. But you pay for the pier and all costs to get her berthed” which is out of the question realistically. I don’t recall any other serious contenders.

My info may be dated, but last I heard was that her best options were in ports on the West coast. I really hope she comes back to Texas though.

Perhaps I should have said those municipalities were "offering" to host the Texas.

I'll run my next post past you for correctness/accuracy/factuality/grammar/etc., prior to publication.

I used the information gleaned from several news articles and there seemed to be a consensus it was Baytown, Beaumont, and Galveston.

Top Bottom