• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    We can just use a target stand and a tall piece of cardboard as a barricade. Not perfect, but it'll work. I have 10 target stands plus I still have a good number of targets. Tomorrow I'll order IDPA targets though, paper and cardboard, so we have something a bit more accurate to the sport. Lets plan on the 19th, and in the next day or two I'll talk with one of the guys at BOTW and see if it'll just have to be first come first serve that day.

I have about 50 IPSC cardboard targets. Would those work? If so, I can bring them along...
    Hurley's Gold

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    We could definitely start a thing where the group members bring supplies to help out the meets.
    I'm not aware of any Austin/RR gunshops that have those targets in stock.

I could always stock up next time I visit my brother's LGS in new mexico, I guess. LOL.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Weird question... do AR/AK pistols count as "pistols" in IDPA and IPSC open categories?

Oh great! Here we go!

Leave the bayonet at home, OK?

Looks to be a lot of interest on the training day. I'll try to make that if I can. I hope it encourages people to check out an IDPA match. Either way it will be a good and informative time I'm sure.

Sig you have any confirmed numbers? I know we don't want to get too many people in a bay and on that day multiple bays may not be an option.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    4ehadesy.jpg

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Oh great! Here we go!

Leave the bayonet at home, OK?

Looks to be a lot of interest on the training day. I'll try to make that if I can. I hope it encourages people to check out an IDPA match. Either way it will be a good and informative time I'm sure.

Sig you have any confirmed numbers? I know we don't want to get too many people in a bay and on that day multiple bays may not be an option.

Did we decide on a date for the training day!? There are a lot of dates flying around in this thread!

sent from wait....where am I!?

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    So the 19th, what time should we all meet up there?

For what it's worth, breakingcontact and I did a match this past weekend. It was GREAT fun, a wonderful time to be outside and talk, and really good for working under stress and training.

I would urge everyone to do IDPA or tactical carbine matches based off that experience.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It was a great time indeed.

------------------------------

**There's another IDPA match at ARC on the 26th. This is a regular IDPA match (not a carbine match like last time).

Whos in? I'll add whoever is planning on attending here and we can squad up together.

IDPA at ARC: Saturday, April 26th
    breakingcontact
    OnyxATX

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yep, lets plan on the 19th at 10:00am if that works for everyone. Sorry, I didn't get a chance to talk with the guys at BOTW, but I can pretty much guarantee they would tell us first come first serve anyways with 3 gun going on this weekend. Worst case we might have a ~30min wait.

Not sure if I forgot to say this but, what do you guys want to work on, specifically, for this Saturday? Lets have just a few things we can focus on, so we can get the most out of our ~2hrs on the bay. I have ~10 target stands, cardboard backers, I do have my own paper targets, etc. If anyone has an extra staple gun, or for those that mentioned they had IPSC/IDPA targets, if you guys want to bring any of that please feel free to, and it will definitely help.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Two hours, especially with more than a few people will go very quickly.

We doing a static firing line with multiple people shooting at once or we going to run just one or two shooters at a time with a coach/range safety for each?

I suppose we could start off static to work on the fundamentals then go one at a time or two (if big enough bay and safety allows).

I'm not sure how much of a "mock" IDPA stage we can set up, but I would like to shoot around obstacles/cover (I'm bad about not using cover. I'm a hero like that) and switching back and forth between targets.

Also what kind of minimum and maximum distances are we planning on? I need to improve my relatively long range shooting if time/space/others desires allow.

I'll bring an extra staple gun, clay pigeons and some targets.

I'm eager to see what others are looking at working on. Don't let me dominate this thread with my powerful prose.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Even though we'll probably get put on the small pistol bays, those still go out to 25yds, so we're fine for distance. I have 9-10 target stands, so we can setup plenty of targets.

We can do static fire with multiple people shooting, and then for certain drills or strings of fire, especially timing shooters, some stuff we'll need to do individually, but that can be done fast as well. I usually try to stick to a 5:1 student/instructor ratio to keep things safe, so I'm sure we'll be fine, or worst case if 10 people are going, we might run things in relays, with half the shooters shooting, the other half watching and seeing what they see with those shooting (some valuable learning points to be had there sometimes).

As far as shooting around cover, like I said, we can just staple some cardboard high on the target stand uprights and use that. In the past when testing this, I did find that even if I was at roughly a 60-45deg angle, at 20-25yds there was no significant deviation from POA to POI if I did my part. It just doesn't seem to work out like that though, most of the time. LOL ;)

We'll see how well I do. I found out I have a bone cyst in the lunate bone (base of the palm/wrist) of my gun hand, and some possible tendon/ligament tears because of it, so I've been taking it easy. I am just setting the stage for my excuses though. LOL jk

As far as things to cover for this "drill day", I propose the following, as it's well-rounded enough to help give a new shooter a solid base to work from, and keep an experienced shooter pushing themselves:

-Drawstroke: We can run this slowmo, and on the shot timer, especially if you want to push yourself.
    -Basic Marksmanship: We should fire at least 10-20 rounds on some sort of basic marksmanship drills, such as B-8 bullseyes for score. Everyone always needs to work the fundamentals a bit.
    -Rapid fire: We can practice firing a few different rates of fire, which will help people get a feel for the difference of shooting 1.0 second splits, 0.50sec, and 0.25sec splits roughly. A "split" is the time between shots.
    -Distance and Accuracy: We can shoot at various distances, like 15yds and 20-25yds, which are about the longest distances typically seen in most IDPA matches. Also, another great way to work the same fundamentals is shooting very small targets up close. Dot Torture is a good one, and I should still have a bunch of those targets.

Only other subjects I can think of would be reloads, since those are always a problem area for most people. That might be a bit much for 2hrs, but we should be able to cover most of it as long as we don't beat around the bush. We can always get lunch afterwards and discuss anything in greater detail.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Ah, almost forgot. As BC mentioned, there's also target transitions. This one takes a LOT of practice to get smooth at. Here's a good example of the desired end result of basically "riding the recoil" to the next target:

And another:

Top Bottom