• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CALI

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Round Rock
    I have search and googled this topic and I could not find a good one. I am mainly looking for someone that attended and graduated from ACC or CAPCOG Basic Peace Officer Sequence/Class.

I have been accepted to start certification program from ACC and it seems like it's going to take a little longer than CAPCOG.

On the other hand CAPCOG is faster but a little bit more demanding of your time.

ACC will take a full year starting next year if I stick to the program and CAPCOG will take close to 9 months starting Febuary and ending on September.

Tuition/money is not an issue and I will be attending the night class because I work full time during the day.

Any thoughts on adavantages and disadvantages on thess institutions. Your help will greatly affect my decision on this topic because I am not sure which one I should attend...I posted here since It is better to get an opinion from someone who graduated from ACC or CAPCOG.

Thank you for your time.
    CALI
    Texas SOT

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    You're going into a profession in which a mistake can cost you your life. Screw how long it takes - which one is BEST?

Were you in San Antonio, and choosing between the local Jr. College vs. the Alamo Area Council of Governments school, I'd tell you the AACOG class, hands down. MOST Jr. Colleges course work I've seen is 3rd-rate at best. AACOG instructors are highly-motivated current officers from the surrounding area that tell the students that they're going to be submected to VERY stringent testing/obseveration, simply because one day the graduated officer may be THEIR backup on a call!!

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    With all this talk of good, better, and best for police Academy stuff, im kinda wondering where some of my local cops went. I would suggest you figue out where the newer Odessa cops went and dont go there!!
    Thats about all the help I can give you..
    Better yet, why not persue a carrer in Legislature lobbying? Everybody know Texas can use some better people in there..

CALI

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Round Rock
    You're going into a profession in which a mistake can cost you your life. Screw how long it takes - which one is BEST?

Were you in San Antonio, and choosing between the local Jr. College vs. the Alamo Area Council of Governments school, I'd tell you the AACOG class, hands down. MOST Jr. Colleges course work I've seen is 3rd-rate at best. AACOG instructors are highly-motivated current officers from the surrounding area that tell the students that they're going to be submected to VERY stringent testing/obseveration, simply because one day the graduated officer may be THEIR backup on a call!!

Very true. Best one/quality is what I'm looking for. From what I understand from your reply is that the Community College (academically) will get you endorsed to take and pass the TCLEOSE exam while CAPCOG will train you to become an officer.

Anyone from ACC can chime in as well....

CALI

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Round Rock
    With all this talk of good, better, and best for police Academy stuff, im kinda wondering where some of my local cops went. I would suggest you figue out where the newer Odessa cops went and dont go there!!
    Thats about all the help I can give you..
    Better yet, why not persue a carrer in Legislature lobbying? Everybody know Texas can use some better people in there..

LOL...I already have a career in Engineering. My plan is to finish, get trained, pass the TCLEOSE exam, and join a local LE as a reserved officer. Something that I always wanted. I'm getting old and I don't want to pass this opportunity and regret it. Now that I can go per the wife's permission, I just need to decide which one...(before she changes her mind!)

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    LOL...I already have a career in Engineering. My plan is to finish, get trained, pass the TCLEOSE exam, and join a local LE as a reserved officer. Something that I always wanted. I'm getting old and I don't want to pass this oppurtunity and regret it. Now that I can go per the wife's permission, I just need to decide which one...(before she changes her mind!)

I actually wanted to do the same thing. Wasnt too long ago either. Sorry to say I change my mind.
    I wish you the best of luck with your goals and I hope you have sucess.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    CAPCOG has lots of PT while ACC has none. ACC is a good academic program and teaches basic skills but you will have to get into shape yourself. Go talk to GW Hildebrand.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    When I was considering going into LE I examined these options in depth. After talking to quite a few people, the word I was getting is that Capcog was the way to go between those 2 choices. Also, it is my understanding that Capcog is pretty well respected, especially if you prove yourself a good student there, and it will make it that much easier getting on with a department. Actually, I've considered the same thing as well Cali, becoming a reserve officer. Personally, I have things I would rather spend my time working towards for a career, however I'd still like to help out the community even if only a little bit plus LE is certainly an interesting profession.

CALI

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Round Rock
    CAPCOG has lots of PT while ACC has none. ACC is a good academic program and teaches basic skills but you will have to get into shape yourself. Go talk to GW Hildebrand.

I already talked to Mr. Hildebrand and I'm good to go as far as ACC.
    I thought CAPCOG doesn't offer PT on their night class and you have to do it yourself as well.

Either way, I've been trying to get fit. I quit smoking about a year ago and I've been running and building endurance since then (very tough).

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I'm at Red's south location now. I actually just got my schedule changed and now have weekends off for once! We should hit up an IDPA match or carbine match or something.

CALI

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Round Rock
    Well...folks I did it. I graduated from CAPCOG recently and now working as a Reserve Officer at a PD in my area.

It was NOT easy at all. I have a child, a wife and a fulltime job while attending the Academy. All I can say is...it could be done.

CALI

Top Bottom