• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Nope. You have to submit fingerprints done by the CLEO (or organization) along with a statement/form signed by them that they affirm the fingerprints are yours AND you don't have any disqualifiers from possessing a firearm (background check).

One per person on an individual, one per "responsible party" on a trust/corp.

Getting prints is not a CLEO Background Check. Last time I was there it was digital, clerk ran off 25 copies for me. Have not been back since.
    Hurley's Gold

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Trust was a better option than individual transfer. This is why the trust was so popular. And there is no CLEO requirement with a trust.

We have gained nothing.

Maybe for you it was better, but for the 40% of the folks who used individual, they would disagree. I have no kids, trust is of no use to me.

NO CLEO is a win, PERIOD.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Getting prints is not a CLEO Background Check. Last time I was there it was digital, clerk ran off 25 copies for me. Have not been back since.

FROM THE DAMNED DOCUMENT YOU APPARENTLY WON'T READ (Page 8):

In addition,§ 479.63 provides that the law enforcement certification located on Form 1 must be completed and signed by the local chief of police or county sheriff, the head of the State police, the State or local district attorney or prosecutor, or such other person whose certification may be acceptable to the Director.

The certifying official must state, inter alia, that the certifying official has no information indicating that possession of the firearm by the maker would be in violation of State or local law or that the maker will use the firearm for other than lawful purposes.

The certifying official must have jurisdiction over the area within which the maker resides.

The purpose of this requirement is to ensure that the official will have access to criminal records concerning the maker, and knowledge of the State and local laws governing the transfer, receipt, and possession of the firearm by the maker.

The same language is also woven into the language for individuals, responsible persons for trusts/corporations, and Form 4's.

They have to sign a form, 5320.23, that affirms they believe the fingerprints are yours and that they have no information that would prohibit you from possessing a firearm.

It's different from approving you for an NFA item, but it's still a CLEO signature requirement and a background check (which I'm sure they'll charge for and might delay for).

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Yo, that is the current system and/or proposal which they are doing away with.

RIF

Read the document.

The NEW requirements will be fingerprints, signed by the CLEO, that affirm you're not a prohibited person. This REPLACES the sign-off that they approve of your NFA item.

Someone else here will come along and confirm my reading, I'm sure.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Read the document.

The NEW requirements will be fingerprints, signed by the CLEO, that affirm you're not a prohibited person. This REPLACES the sign-off that they approve of your NFA item.

I give up.

Maybe you will figure it out in 6 months when your CLEO tells you to GTFO.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    From another section in the document:

ATF did not propose to eliminate the CLEO certification requirement. Rather, ATF proposed extending the CLEO certification requirement to responsible persons of a trust or legal entity, but also proposed amending the language of the certification to omit the requirement that the certifying official state that the certifying official has no information that the applicant or transferee will use the firearm for other than lawful purposes.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    ATF did not propose to eliminate the CLEO certification requirement. Rather, ATF proposed extending the CLEO certification requirement to responsible persons of a trust or legal entity, but also proposed amending the language of the certification to omit the requirement that the certifying official state that the certifying official has no information that the applicant or transferee will use the firearm for other than lawful purposes.

All those proposals were not implemented.

I give up again.

No mas.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Apparently, the ATF facebook page stated that CLEO signoff requirement for trusts and individuals are going away, replaced with notification. See page 32 of the ATF document.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Win for Individuals but PITA for those of us with trusts and child beneficiaries.

Exactly.
    Probably putting 1 more item on trust just for the ease of use. After that, go individual route.
    If registered to an individual, there is a free transfer to your offspring, correct?
    EDIT: when you die...

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    If you want to save some time, the final rule starts on page 209. The ATF provides a quick summary on page 214. You submit your form 1, 4 or 5, complete a 5320.23 and submit fingerprints and photo for each "responsible person", and the trust documents to the ATF.

As I understand, you mail all that to your CLEO, too. That's the notification.

Prince law has a preliminary analysis.

http://blog.princelaw.com/category/firearms-law/gun-trusts/

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    From what I'm reading the new form 5320.23 requires the CLEO to certify the responsible persons listed on the form match the fingerprints and photos submitted.

So basically they changed what needs to be certified but you still have to get a sign off. This deal stinks.

Edit: that could be for a preliminary version of the new form. I wish they would post the final version so we can see how bad this frakking thing is for ourselves.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Read the document.

You are not correct.

As Renegade said, CLEO notification ONLY will be required. The CLEO will not do a backround check. This is a good change.

The bad change is that trustees will now need to send prints to BATFE.

The Department has also reassessed the need for CLEO certification and is implementing a new
    approach that focuses on notifying CLEOs. The final rule only requires that the applicant maker
    or transferee, including each responsible person for a trust or legal entity, provide a notice to the
    appropriate State or local official that an application is being submitted to ATF

RipGear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2014
    Missouri City, TX
    No CLEO signature will be required according to the Final Rule. Please stop referencing the proposed documents.

CLEO notification is defined on page 224, and is discussed further on page 227-228:

https://www.atf.gov/file/100896/download

Page 227: The new law enforcement notification requirement provides at least two important benefits. First, by changing the certification requirement to a notification requirement, the final rule reduces the burdens on individuals and entities who seek to possess firearms in jurisdictions whose chief law enforcement officers either process certifications slowly or refuse to process them at all.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom