• zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I would not for the following reasons

1, i have had trouble with ASC in the past

2, steel AR mags are thin and fragile, and if you make it longer by adding an extra 10 rounds, you are doing it no favors.

If you want a 40 round mag, go with Magpul.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    The only steel mags worth it are HK maritime mags. They are heavy bastards and 50 bucks a pop.

This is why cheaper steel mags are a bit thin. They arent any better than quality aluminum mags.

Why 40 rounders and why steel. Tge downside to both greatly outweigh the extra 10 rounds.

IMHO

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The only steel mags worth it are HK maritime mags. They are heavy bastards and 50 bucks a pop.

This is why cheaper steel mags are a bit thin. They arent any better than quality aluminum mags.

Why 40 rounders and why steel. Tge downside to both greatly outweigh the extra 10 rounds.

IMHO
    Even the HK mags aren't good, easily damaged, non replaceable parts, and very poor spring strength.

If you want metal mags, stick with USGI aluminum

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I personally like ASC magazines. I only use 20rd mags in my AR15's, and 10rd mags in my AR10. Don't have any experience with the larger stick magazines, I have no use for them.
    I hate magazines that are set lower than the grip of the weapon!

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Get the magpul 40rd. I ran mine hard in 3gun without issue, even with a maglink. I prefer this over a d60.
    e55363a104b68f7323eb40873161590c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I've had a couple of the MagPul 40's which ran fine, I wasn't thrilled with how much rattle you get with that much weight. They're also cumbersome, compared to 20s or 30's. I'm about 40-60 split - 20 / 30 rounders. Mostly MagPul, Brownells, and Colt mags. I've had others but honestly, I've narrowed down my selection of makers to what has been consistent for me. A few bucks savings for an iffy mag is a no-go for serious use.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    I've had a couple of the MagPul 40's which ran fine, I wasn't thrilled with how much rattle you get with that much weight. They're also cumbersome, compared to 20s or 30's. I'm about 40-60 split - 20 / 30 rounders. Mostly MagPul, Brownells, and Colt mags. I've had others but honestly, I've narrowed down my selection of makers to what has been consistent for me. A few bucks savings for an iffy mag is a no-go for serious use.
    Magpul and lancer are all I’m down to for AR’s. Yes USGI are fine, but they are disposable by design and I understand we reuse them because of the bean counters. I have had to many jacked up lips cause feeding issues though

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Magpul and lancer are all I’m down to for AR’s. Yes USGI are fine, but they are disposable by design and I understand we reuse them because of the bean counters. I have had to many jacked up lips cause feeding issues though

Yeah, I haven't busted any MagPul feed lips yet, I have had to toss some metal mags due to bent lips.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Yeah, I haven't busted any MagPul feed lips yet, I have had to toss some metal mags due to bent lips.
    If the Magpul mags cause some weirdness due to the models out comes the lancers. I try to leave those in reserve just due to metal feedlips on polymer bodies. But they have better geometry for last round hold open on certain rifles. Looking at you SCAR16…

Top Bottom