• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Ok question I have a couple nice 1 1/2 and 2lb triggers on my hunting bolt guns.
    I can't remember what my current brand or level it is a 2 stage variant and nothing to get smiley about.
    My gun is set up for Pig shooting but would suffice for out of home defense if needed.
    I'm purchasing a new AR just for out of home defense.
    So upgrade a 2 stage or change to upgraded single stage for both
    Yeah yeah! broad question to some but basic always works too.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    For home defense, I wouldn't go any lower that 3-ish pounds, like 3-1/2, and really practice (combat type training) with it.
    That is an extreme adrenaline situation, and one that you need 100% reliability.
    Stay away from Rise, and Elftmann triggers, both were really disappointing. Like crap disappointing!
    Some say CMMC are good, I have a 2# for a currant 22" AR10 build, but haven't tried it yet.
    Have a couple of Trigger Tech units, like them a lot!
    They have sort of a 1911 type feel. Very short take up, and Very Crisp break.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    Best bang for the buck for a self defense AR is the ALG Defense Combat Trigger ACT. It is essentially a precision made mil spec trigger that has been Nickel Boron coated. They can be had for about $79 last time I looked. They won't be in the 2-3 lb range but mine have all been in the 4-5 lb range which for me is ideal on a self-defense gun. I think they advertise them at 6 lb but are really a bit lighter than that.

ETA: ALG is Bill Geissele's wife's company.

Last edited:

Lonesome Dove

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Best bang for the buck for a self defense AR is the ALG Defense Combat Trigger ACT. It is essentially a precision made mil spec trigger that has been Nickel Boron coated. They can be had for about $79 last time I looked. They won't be in the 2-3 lb range but mine have all been in the 4-5 lb range which for me is ideal on a self-defense gun. I think the advertise them at 6 lb but are really a bit lighter than that.

ETA: ALG is Bill Geissele's wife's company.
    There are two Geissels for sale here.
    But they're a bit more than I was thinking to spend. I'd like to keep it about $150 or Less because I'll need two.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    There are two Geissels for sale here.
    But they're a bit more than I was thinking to spend. I'd like to keep it about $150 or Less because I'll need two.

Those Geissele triggers in that posting are overpriced, seeing as memorial day is around the corner and Primary Arms runs deals on holidays for Geissele SSA and SSA-E for 149.99 each. I get an email almost every day during the holidays. I've bought at least seven of them from Primary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Unlike @Gordo, I've had great luck with the Rise 140. I have 3, two curved trigger and one flat. All three pull at 3.5lbs according to the factory and my digital Lyman. One was bad out of the box and they took care of it immediately. I also have a CMMC. I like it too. It has a 3lb pull. So I vote for the Rise. 90.00 will get a 140 to the house.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I LOVE my CMCs. I think all but 2 of my ARs wear them, and one of them is not physically able to because of its proprietary lower.
    That being said, strictly for home defense I would opt for a Schmidt. It’s EVERY bit as good as a Larue, for half the price.
    Probably 99% of all the original 2 piece AR style 2 stage triggers out there are made my Schmidt. They are sold under a million different companies names. You can tell it’s a Schmidt by the “S” proof mark on the trigger blade.
    They also make a single stage. That is what is in my one AR that still retains the 2 piece trigger.
    It’s dirt cheap.
    Here’s a link to the single stage

Here’s one of the many iterations of the 2 stage
    ETA- before @zackmars jumps on me because $65 is not half of $99, the 2 stage can regularly be found on sale for $50.

Last edited:

Lonesome Dove

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Unlike @Gordo, I've had great luck with the Rise 140. I have 3, two curved trigger and one flat. All three pull at 3.5lbs according to the factory and my digital Lyman. One was bad out of the box and they took care of it immediately. I also have a CMMC. I like it too. It has a 3lb pull. So I vote for the Rise. 90.00 will get a 140 to the house.
    Do you like the flat trigger? I have for for my PDP but haven't installed yet.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I LOVE my CMCs. I think all but 2 of my ARs wear them, and one of them is not physically able to because of its proprietary lower.
    That being said, strictly for home defense I would opt for a Schmidt. It’s EVERY bit as good as a Larue, for half the price.
    Probably 99% of all the original 2 piece AR style 2 stage triggers out there are made my Schmidt. They are sold under a million different companies names. You can tell it’s a Schmidt by the “S” proof mark on the trigger blade.
    They also make a single stage. That is what is in my one AR that still retains the 2 piece trigger.
    It’s dirt cheap.
    Here’s a link to the single stage

Here’s one of the many iterations of the 2 stage
    ETA- before @zackmars jumps on me because $65 is not half of $99, the 2 stage can regularly be found on sale for $50.

I have a version of the schmidt 2 stage, i think i got it from FCD. I've shot a few others. I would say i like it more than my larues, however thats due to the shape of the bow. In overall feel and quality the larue is all over the schmidts.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I have a version of the schmidt 2 stage, i think i got it from FCD. I've shot a few others. I would say i like it more than my larues, however thats due to the shape of the bow. In overall feel and quality the larue is all over the schmidts.
    Different strokes for different folks.
    I suppose that’s why they make more than one brand.
    Have you tried the Dirty Bird single stage?

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    To each their own, but I could not disagree more.
    ETA- The trigger choices, not necessarily the 2 stage part.

Giessle is the most proven 2 stage AR trigger out there. Say what you will about their other products, but their triggers are combat proven, and you have plenty of bow and face options.

Larue doesn't have nearly the amount of options WRT faces or bows, but they feel every bit as good and are in some ways even more durable than G triggers

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I do like it. It’s a different feel and I couldn’t tell you why a curved is better than a flat a
    Or vice versa. It looks pretty bad ass on the AR though.
    A flat trigger lets you put your finger very low on the trigger giving more leverage, effectively making it lighter. Doing that on a curved trigger causes your finger to fight sliding up on the squeeze.

That’s the difference I get anyways. I’ve shot and prefer the feel of a flat trigger, don’t have any though.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Different strokes for different folks.
    I suppose that’s why they make more than one brand.
    Have you tried the Dirty Bird single stage?

I tend to avoid the various polished single stage triggers, spikes, BCM, ALG, schmidt, etc. There's nothing wrong with them, but i don't think they are consistently better than a standard milspec trigger can be.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My AR-10 has the Geissle SSA-E 2 stage trigger and I’ve been pretty happy with it.

Those on the forum who have shot my rifles know I prefer a lighter trigger than most. I was worried the SSA-E would be too heavy for my preference with a 2lb load and 1lb break. (Checked and it’s listed as 2.3lb load and 1.2lb break). It’s really doesn’t feel like a 3lb trigger though. And the break is pretty nice and crisp.

I use it for hunting. Wouldn’t hesitate to use it for home defense with the same trigger, but it’s a little large and heavy for that.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I tend to avoid the various polished single stage triggers, spikes, BCM, ALG, schmidt, etc. There's nothing wrong with them, but i don't think they are consistently better than a standard milspec trigger can be.
    Depends on how each person defines “better”.

I can think of many problems with standard milspec triggers. Or better put, improvements that can be made in order to promote accuracy across a broad range of shooters. But over a broad range of situations there may be other factors that become more important.

Top Bottom