• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ks123

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I think I'm going to get one of the cz scorpion carbines or the mech tech glock ccu. They both look pretty badass
    Gun Zone Deals

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm in this camp too. I want a small, compact semi auto rifle for SHTF and range fun, but I didn't really see many 9mm carbines I liked until you got into the $1000 range. At that price point, I decided to just go with an 8" AR-15 pistol in 300 blk. I'll eventually SBR it, and I also plan on getting a good suppressor for it too. When I compared the 9mm to the 300 blk, the blackout won hands down for what I was wanting. The 300 blk can be loaded to 7.62x39 levels, or you can load it to 45 acp levels for suppressor use. It just seemed like it was more versatile to me.

dmessy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2015
    I wouldn't think of using a AR15 or carbine for home defense unless I lived on a ranch someplace. That bullet goes through whatever and keeps on chugging. Pistol with hollow points great for urban defense and can reach out 75' or more quite accurately

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wouldn't think of using a AR15 or carbine for home defense unless I lived on a ranch someplace. That bullet goes through whatever and keeps on chugging. Pistol with hollow points great for urban defense and can reach out 75' or more quite accurately

Not really. That 9mm is gonna go further after penetration a wall than the .223 will. The tip of the hollow point will be filled with material from the wall and it will act like an FMJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    With soft point or frangible ammo, the .223 is going to tumble and shatter quickly because of its massive velocity. 9mm on the other hand will be more likely to stay intact.

Think of it like this. What happens when you shoot water with a rifle vs a pistol?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    ^^^^ what they said. Handguns are are more of a penetration hazard than 5.56. Personally there's an AR next to my bed. And for those worried about the noise put a pair of ear muffs on your night stand. Even when I have a pistol on the nightstand there's electronic ear pro there. Even firing a handgun inside will deafen you on the first shot.

As for PCCs. I like them. They are tons of fun. But if I was buying this for defensive purposes I'd just build or buy an AR for well under your budget then put the money I saved towards ammo and a training course. Then later buy a PCC or PCC conversion for my Glock.

james.long48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2015
    Has anyone had any experience with the Beretta cx4? I have a px4 storm and heard the cx4 takes full size mags from the px4. That would be nice to share mags.

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk
    I have two of these, one takes the PX4 mags and the other 92 mags. Absolutely love these carbines. Only complaint is the trigger.
    Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I think I'm going to get one of the cz scorpion carbines or the mech tech glock ccu. They both look pretty badass

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

james.long48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2015
    I am seriously considering the SIG MPX. I will SBR it with a folding stock.
    This, except I like the telescoping stock. I am still waiting for the 4.5" barrel to come out for this... like the mpx-k. This with a supressor would be my ideal HD gun. I used to subscribe to the shot gun idea like another person mentioned. However, after having kids and practicing getting up stairs with a long 18.5" barrel, I learned this doesn't work for me.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have two of these, one takes the PX4 mags and the other 92 mags. Absolutely love these carbines. Only complaint is the trigger.

It can be improved relatively easily, as long as you take it slow.

Pretty simple design.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK

Green Tip 5.56 will walk through walls. As it's been stated. Soft point will smash out, tumble, probably stick in wood (fragments) somewhere along the path.

Penetration is a tool in the tool box. Load a magazine with 15 rounds Green Tip. Load either Hollow point or Soft Point on top of it. If you make contact with a bad guy. The less penetrating' rounds engage the target first. If the target moves. It'll move behind cover.

Then penetration is needed....

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    5.56 isn't very stable at close range, tumbles like crazy on impact. The green tip may hold together, but it's gonna tumble and lose energy quickly after going through a wall.

I'm too lazy to post all the BoT vids.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    5.56 isn't very stable at close range, tumbles like crazy on impact. The green tip may hold together, but it's gonna tumble and lose energy quickly after going through a wall.

I'm too lazy to post all the BoT vids.

Same concept works with 9mm. 17rd mag. Load 7 ball, 10 hollow point.

dmessy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2015
    With soft point or frangible ammo, the .223 is going to tumble and shatter quickly because of its massive velocity. 9mm on the other hand will be more likely to stay intact.

Think of it like this. What happens when you shoot water with a rifle vs a pistol?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You're right! Just saw a good vid on how 5.56 vs 9mm act through wallboard then water jugs...impressive. LOTS more energy transfer instead of just penetration. I have both weapons and it makes me rethink my options. Kudos to opening my eyes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Different rounds in the magazine give different capabilities. I never read anything about folks mixing rounds.

Ball out penetrates hollow.

You engage a person who jumps behind a car door. While hollow might make it through. Ball, slugs through. While he's not behind the door, you're engaging him with the hollow.

Progression of penetration to stop the target using one magazine.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Who the heck is swapping mags mid fight for different ammo?

Car doors are very different than dry wall. A hollow point through dry wall will basically become FMJ as is goes through. Same with shooting through the front door.

Hollow point pistol ammo expands due to fluidic pressure, which is why many HP designs fail when they pass through heavy clothing.

Car doors are thin, I doubt HP or FMJ will make much difference, but if I find a modern car door I'll bring it to the house and test my theory. Doubt it will offer enough resistance to deform the HP. Car doors are weak sauce.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I was punching through car doors with 9mm at Hville from 100yards. Old doors would stop the round on the inside frame or window gear. Newer doors were butter.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    That's what I'm saying. Car door is a reference. Let's say on the other side of the trunk. Behind an alloy wheel.

You don't have to change the magazine for different purpose ammo. Load them both or load more options.

30 rd magazine. 10 green tip, 10 soft point, 10 hollow point.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom