• ...and so much more!
  • Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    We have some 5s and some 6s.

One of the reasons we're staying with Apple is the family cloud. I'm sure it's possible with android somehow (I don't know), but Apple made it painless.

At any time I can see where my two older kids and wife are. When the kids buy apps it pings me to approve and them charges my account. We can also share iTunes purchases across the family. The face talk integration was good and very easy to see my kids when I used to travel a lot.

I like the androids too. I don't really see any of it as a big deal though. I still have a blackberry for work. They're phasing them out for iPhones but it does what I need it to.
    Hurley's Gold

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Why do people get their egos involved in their choices?

I have tried both Android and Apple. My work gave me an iPhone. I don't like it at all. I put my work email and other programs on my Galaxy. I totally prefer Android. But that doesn't mean it is the best, or that Apple sucks. For ME, Android is more intuitive.

Some folks at work love their new iPhones and cannot imagine not having them. The bottom line is they all perform their intended tasks.

Glock vs 1911 lol

Couldn't have said it better. I've had both systems through the years. Both systems are nice, usable and big improvement over phones of the past. I just prefer my Galaxy 5 at this point in my personal life. I would jump to switch my Blackberry for either an Apple or Android phone. If offered a choice, would go with a Galaxy 5.

With that said, I think this thread is mislabeled. Apple hasn't really raised the bar. More like playing catch up to Android.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I like that the blackberries don't need a case to keep them from breaking. Seems like they had pretty solid hardware.

Not mine. I've shattered the glass on two so far. Had a Otterbox on the first one I had and never broke that one. Last couple of years I've used the case my company provides. Really hope they (my employer) go with a different phone in the future. The keyboard on the ones they give us is too small.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Apple hasn't really raised the bar. More like playing catch up to Android.
    Even though I agree, I can't say that it's fair. iPhone/iPad are the only devices running iOS, whereas Samsung, LG, HTC, Nexus and many others are running android. Combine the multiple manufacturers with the open-source development and that's why they're always first with the newest, coolest features — even if it means they're buggy (open development means bugs are fixed more quickly). Whereas apple will take more time in R&D to make sure theirs is more polished. I admire both methods — give the customers what they want now or give the customers what they want when it's ready.

Dear Apple,

Fix my swype keyboard app and let me store files to my phone's SD storage. Don't screw with anything else, it works fine.

Sincerely,

Someone that uses their phone a lot

P.S. iTunes sucks

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    With that said, I think this thread is mislabeled. Apple hasn't really raised the bar. More like playing catch up to Android.
    LOL, yes its funny:

droid is open source, a new release come out about ever 6 mo from the parent, Google, but open source brings with it variations in the final product, how many, right now its anyones guess but figure there to be about 15,000-18,000 versions of droid, basically a NIGHTMARE from a support and developer viewpoint.

So you want to go into the cell fone biz? Great, got a garage, then contact Alibaba in China, get hold of one the the MANY MANY cell fone manuf order a few thousand up, grab some version of droid, throw in some tweaks that sound good and bang, there you are in business. Save money on stores by hawking your product at various street fairs and farmers markets in the area. But there is some competition as there are about 12,000 different droid devices at the close of 2013....

So NO, Apple is not playing catch up...

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    One thing FanDroids refuse to believe, is that Apple doesn't actually play catch-up. The blind sheep will refuse to believe because "OMG my Samdroing Galawhoopsie 27 had that like soooo many years ago." Too bad that 'revolutionary' new feature didn't actually work well. That's where Apple steps in, taking ideas that were hurriedly cobbled together in the race to be "first," and they make them ACTUALLY work. So they end up being the first to market with a usable solution, and everyone readily adopts it.

So. There's doing it first, and there's doing it right.

What happens next, is the Android vendors (read: Samsung) then look incredibly hard at why Apple is having such huge success selling "the same thing." They sit in conference rooms with feature lists, manufacturing cost statements, marketing and sales statistics, etc. scratching their heads on why it all just doesn't work. "But the Galaxy S5 has every feature the iPhone 5s has and more, why aren't we selling them?" Because people don't use feature checklists, they use the actual features. Take that same feature checklist and instead of asking if your phone HAS the feature, ask if that feature works as well as your competition. Similar to comparing handguns, where they both have the same features but one is hand assembled and finely tuned while the other is merely mass produced - say like a Dan Wesson vs. an ATI.

You can see the reports right here in this thread. Someone used Android for a while, picked up an iPhone and loved the WAY it works. I haven't seen anyone talk about switching because the iPhone did something their Android did not do. I can love my ATI 1911, but if I pick up and shoot a DW 1911 there's no denying it feels nicer. They both can function the same, they both can be equally accurate in my hands (per my ability), but one is arguably "better." It's the same thing here. Apple just does the same things "better."

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    One thing FanDroids refuse to believe, is that Apple doesn't actually play catch-up. The blind sheep will refuse to believe because "OMG my Samdroing Galawhoopsie 27 had that like soooo many years ago." Too bad that 'revolutionary' new feature didn't actually work well. That's where Apple steps in, taking ideas that were hurriedly cobbled together in the race to be "first," and they make them ACTUALLY work. So they end up being the first to market with a usable solution, and everyone readily adopts it.

What happens next, is the Android vendors (read: Samsung) then look incredibly hard at why Apple is having such huge success selling "the same thing." They sit in conference rooms with feature lists, manufacturing cost statements, marketing and sales statistics, etc. scratching their heads on why it all just doesn't work. "But the Galaxy S5 has every feature the iPhone 5s has and more, why aren't we selling them?" Because people don't use feature checklists, they use the actual features. Take that same feature checklist and instead of asking if your phone HAS the feature, ask if that feature works as well as your competition. Similar to comparing handguns, where they both have the same features but one is hand assembled and finely tuned while the other is merely mass produced - say like a Dan Wesson vs. an ATI.

You can see the reports right here in this thread. Someone used Android for a while, picked up an iPhone and loved the WAY it works. I haven't seen anyone talk about switching because the iPhone did something their Android did not do. I can love my ATI 1911, but if I pick up and shoot a DW 1911 there's no denying it feels nicer. They both can function the same, they both can be equally accurate in my hands (per my ability), but one is arguably "better." It's the same thing here. Apple just does the same things "better."

CONCUR!

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Meh. Apple lays claim to some miserable failures and cobbled together crap too. From either platform, some features work, some fall flat. They've both laid some eggs and they've both dropped some revolutionary stuff.

I'd say it's more like comparing a quality 1911 (iPhone) to an M&P/Glock/XD/Sig (HTC/Samsung/LG/Motorola). All iPhone controls are going to be in the same place, it's going to be sturdy & reliable, and the accessory aftermarket is unmatched. Whereas the android phones have some plasticky, light-weight models with bigger/better features. But even the Samsung (Glock) aftermarket pales in comparison to the 1911. It may be outdated, but the iPhone set the standard and still works very well.

I do agree that Android, and Linux in general, suffers from the open market development because there are few standards and it can get confusing. So many bootloaders, basebands, kernels, modems, etc. that developers have to be sure are compatible when baking ROMs. Outside of the manufacturers AOSP, AOKP, SOKP and CyanogenMod there aren't many to trust.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Meh. Apple lays claim to some miserable failures and cobbled together crap too. From either platform, some features work, some fall flat. They've both laid some eggs and they've both dropped some revolutionary stuff.

I'd say it's more like comparing a quality 1911 (iPhone) to an M&P/Glock/XD/Sig (HTC/Samsung/LG/Motorola). All iPhone controls are going to be in the same place, it's going to be sturdy & reliable, and the accessory aftermarket is unmatched. Whereas the android phones have some plasticky, light-weight models with bigger/better features. But even the Samsung (Glock) aftermarket pales in comparison to the 1911. It may be outdated, but the iPhone set the standard and still works very well.

I do agree that Android, and Linux in general, suffers from the open market development because there are few standards and it can get confusing. So many bootloaders, basebands, kernels, modems, etc. that developers have to be sure are compatible when baking ROMs. Outside of the manufacturers AOSP, AOKP, SOKP and CyanogenMod there aren't many to trust.
    Apple Newton!

Apple FX, I remember it well, had one.

Its always been the constant war of open source vs closed. WHich makes it black and white which I do not agree with. Somethings are best closed, some open. Here is my 25+ years experience in IT thoughts:

The harder you beat the drum, the lazier of a programmer you are. I am a structured software guy and live by development and fielding rules. Those that do not follow rules usually have an agenda and its called career programming. They deliver a product from THEIR point of view, they do not like system/business analysts getting in their way. The result is undocumented software, no functional description, no standardized data schema, no integration matrix, basically a mess and the owner has to keep calling the company back and back and back over the life of the product. This is not to say that over the lifecycle my company does not get a called to improve or fix. But using structured methodology they are NOT forced to call back the same company and the same programmer. In fact I have had to track down the company then track down the person who wrote the code and pay staggering money to get him to leave his job and come back and sort out the mess of a mission critical system...HE developed!!!!

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    You guys are a bunch of losers. :-) Apple and Google are the big winners here, getting you guys to fanatically pimp their products for free. Hell, actually you guys pay them for the privilege of being a fanatical product pimp. hehe

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Why is your ego so involved?

I can't stand the way iPhone work. Neither can my wife. We both have company issued Apple phones sitting in drawers because of that. That doesn't MEAN anything except that we prefer Android.

Who is better?

Glock or 1911?

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Why is your ego so involved?

I can't stand the way iPhone work. Neither can my wife. We both have company issued Apple phones sitting in drawers because of that. That doesn't MEAN anything except that we prefer Android.

Who is better?

Glock or 1911?
    Look who's talking about ego! :laughing:

But it's hard to say I'm wrong. Using a pistol analogy again, there's people who will never consider a Dan Wesson 1911 because their Glock is just the bees knees - fan boy through and through. I mean seriously, a Glock is just better because it was a greater round capacity, will fire after sitting in a mud puddle for a year, and being polymer it's lighter weight. One can come up with all sorts of "reasons" why it's "better." Heck that POS basic Dan Wesson is even like 5 times the price! Stupid Dan Wesson fans spending all that money for nothing when the Glock is the best! Hell, you can't even get Birdman Homeboy Night sights for a Dan Wesson, gangsta!

So, there's preference, and there's better. You could certainly prefer a Glock, even though the Dan Wesson would be oft accepted as "better." You can argue reasons on both side of the aisle which pistol is better and why,but when asked to choose overall, most people would point to the Dan Wesson as the "better" gun. THAT is the part Android fans have a hard time accepting about iPhones. Hey, you like Android, and Android works for you. That's great. Nobody said it wouldn't. Just like if something needs a roughly half inch hole, I don't see a Glock 21 or a DW 1911 having any trouble making one.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    For the most part I like Apple products and most of my coworkers use them. Working in a field position this makes life much easier for me.

My first smart phone (and my current phone) was an iPhone 5c. If my work won't shell out for a new phone, it may be my last. While I like the concept of having what is essentially a mini computer, I find that a lot of the things I want don't come in packages I like. This includes scheduling assistants, financial programs, things of that nature. I feel Palm really had it right with their apps, but that ship sailed long ago.

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Look who's talking about ego! :laughing:

But it's hard to say I'm wrong. Using a pistol analogy again, there's people who will never consider a Dan Wesson 1911 because their Glock is just the bees knees - fan boy through and through. I mean seriously, a Glock is just better because it was a greater round capacity, will fire after sitting in a mud puddle for a year, and being polymer it's lighter weight. One can come up with all sorts of "reasons" why it's "better." Heck that POS basic Dan Wesson is even like 5 times the price! Stupid Dan Wesson fans spending all that money for nothing when the Glock is the best! Hell, you can't even get Birdman Homeboy Night sights for a Dan Wesson, gangsta!

So, there's preference, and there's better. You could certainly prefer a Glock, even though the Dan Wesson would be oft accepted as "better." You can argue reasons on both side of the aisle which pistol is better and why,but when asked to choose overall, most people would point to the Dan Wesson as the "better" gun. THAT is the part Android fans have a hard time accepting about iPhones. Hey, you like Android, and Android works for you. That's great. Nobody said it wouldn't. Just like if something needs a roughly half inch hole, I don't see a Glock 21 or a DW 1911 having any trouble making one.
    I am on my first Apple fone, 6+. I think I got my first cell fone in 88 or soon thereafter. Liked them all and I generally got a new one every year always looking for faster and jump higher, never had one I did not like, but the Apple is my fav for size and features. Next year I will look at the new crop and I don't care who makes it as long as it fits for me and my carrier. I want a fone that will operate on US/Europe/Asian/ME systems, takes good pics, I don't care as long as it meets my criteria.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    ‘Staggering’ iPhone Demand Helps Lift Apple’s Quarterly Profit by 38%

Profit Hits $18 Billion as 74.5 Million iPhones Are Sold

Updated Jan. 28, 2015 3:50 a.m. ET
    Apple Inc. surpassed even the most bullish Wall Street expectations for its holiday quarter with an improbable trifecta: selling more iPhones at higher prices—and earning more on each sale.
    The Cupertino, Calif., company said it sold 74.5 million iPhones in the quarter, 46% above a year earlier, while lifting the average selling price of the devices by $50 from the prior year. The total equates to more than 34,000 phones an hour, around the clock.
    “Demand for iPhone was staggering,” Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook told analysts. “This volume is hard to comprehend.”
    Results were remarkable, even for a company that has increased revenue more than tenfold in the past decade. They recalled the Steve Jobs heyday when iPhone demand routinely topped forecasts. In some ways, the gains are more impressive because Apple today faces many more competitors and because smartphone growth is thought to be slowing.
    Consumers snapped up Apple’s two new larger-display phones, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, which made their debut in September, after years in which Apple ceded the large smartphone market to rivals. Apple encountered supply shortages for weeks in traditional strongholds like the U.S., as well as faster-growing markets like China.
    Apple had predicted that the new iPhones would prompt many existing customers to upgrade. Mr. Cook said in an interview that Apple also is luring customers from smartphone manufacturers that use GoogleInc. ’s Android operating system.
    “We brought on more new people to iPhone than ever before,” Mr. Cook said. “Many of those are switching from Android, and we couldn’t be happier about that.”
    Apple posted net of $18.0 billion for its fiscal first quarter ended Dec. 27, up 38% from $13.1 billion in the same period a year earlier. That is more than 435 of the companies in the S&P 500 index each made in total profits since 2009, according to S&P Capital IQ.

Top Bottom