• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    If the man indeed pointed his gun at the officer that was foolish. But there was a lot of foolishness here no? The pitbull attacked him. Why was the pitbull not in direct control of the owner? Why the hell does someone living in town need a pitbull? (Don't start comparing your right to own a gun to your right to own a pitbull. Your Glock can't wonder into a neighbors yard and start attacking ppl.)

Also what is the SOP for an officer "disarming" a CHL holder or any otherwise non-threatening citizen with a gun? He was trying to handcuff him and the man turned and pointed his gun at him?

Your odds of getting attacked by a stray, feral mutt are WAY higher than your odds of getting attacked by someone's pit bull. I guess we should ban all dogs capable of reproducing within city limits, too.
    ARJ Defense ad

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Your odds of getting attacked by a stray, feral mutt are WAY higher than your odds of getting attacked by someone's pit bull. I guess we should ban all dogs capable of reproducing within city limits, too.

Your odds of being attacked by a stray, feral mutt...wasn't discussing that. At least there is one less pit bull to attack a child now.

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    Why the hell does someone living in town need a pitbull? (Don't start comparing your right to own a gun to your right to own a pitbull. Your Glock can't wonder into a neighbors yard and start attacking ppl.)

Also what is the SOP for an officer "disarming" a CHL holder or any otherwise non-threatening citizen with a gun? He was trying to handcuff him and the man turned and pointed his gun at him?

I am not comparing my right to own a pit bull with my right to own a firearm. I do want to express my opinion that; if you judge an animals demeanor based on his appearance you likely judge people based on their appearance, a form of prejudice in my book. I don't mean to insult you, in fact I will openly state that I am very much prejudice. However I am aware of this and make concerted efforts not to judge a book by its cover.

So my point is.. pit bull, great dane, or shiatsu a dogs demeanor relies heavily on its surroundings and upbringing, its breed only makes is susceptible to certain traits. I personally believe pit bulls are persecuted just like homeless, minorities, and AR-15's. I am by no means saying that stereotypes don't have a reasonable basis for existing, just saying it doesn't make it right (IMO). Again, I am not attacking you personally or calling you racist or anything along those lines. I merely want to point out my issues with your statement.

Back on topic; I have personally been disarmed by LEO's as have many of my associates. I have no quarrels with being disarmed, by a police officer so long as they have reason, and for their safety and my own is reasonable in my opinion. BUT! I DO NOT EVER reach for or draw my weapon. If an officer wishes, I ask them to come and take it from me. Last thing I want is to be seen (and likely shot) for grabbing for my firearm while speaking with an officer. I tell the officer "sure no problem" raise my arm, turn around and give the officer instructions on how to take the weapon from my holster. Have not had any issues with LEO in regards to this personal process of mine, I feel much safer doing it this way.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Jumping in again, and I did know Schaefer. Shooting a dog is potentially an illegal act unless attacked, and we only have Schaefers statement to dispatch that he was. Discharge of a firearm in city limits is potentially an illegal act. Refusing to disarm at the request of a police officer is potentially an illegal act as noted above in this thread. Nowhere does it say that only applies to a traffic stop. The officer is there to investigate, facing an armed individual who refuses several requests to disarm. He does not know the person, possibly does not have any explanation of the circumstances related to the shooting of the dog. Way to many questions and possibilities that the officer does not know other than he is facing an armed individual who refuses to disarm. According to the warrant, a witness states he saw two men with guns drawn facing each other.

Most of the above is noted as potential, perhaps a tape will be released that can shed more light on this.

As noted by others, I have been disarmed once or twice by an officer and would not even think of not complying with his instructions.

recoveringyankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Jollyville, TX
    My comment was "retarded"? Wow. Like it wasn't fully developed or...? Curious what "retarded" means in this context. If it was retarded, I can elaborate if you like.

Well, you all should know that ONLY Pit Bulls can be trained to be mean and attack people. All other dogs, especially German Shepherds and Rotties, could never be trained to be anything but perfect angels. right, right? the TV told me so so it must be, right, right?

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Well, you all should know that ONLY Pit Bulls can be trained to be mean and attack people. All other dogs, especially German Shepherds and Rotties, could never be trained to be anything but perfect angels. right, right? the TV told me so so it must be, right, right?

You might want to re-read that story. This guy was attacked by a pit bull dog.

Top Bottom