• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Search warrant released. Deceased was a CHL holder. As a CHL he should have known to surrender his gun. You can read the search warrant at this link.

http://content.austin.ynn.com/auscontent/files/schaefersearchwarrant.pdf

Warrant: Man shot by police engaged in ‘stand-off’ with officer - YNN - Your News Now

Schaefer told the dispatcher he was still armed and had a concealed handgun license. The dispatcher asked him to put away his weapon before police arrived, but Schaefer refused.

Two Austin police officers arrived on scene, inducing John Whitted, a veteran of APD since 2009. When the officers arrived, they again asked Schaefer to put away his weapon which was in a holster on his waist, but he again refused to disarm.

“In an effort to make the scene safe,” the warrant reads, “Officer Whitted attempted to handcuff Schaefer. Schaefer resisted by pulling away and stated, ‘Don’t do that,’ and then reached for and drew his side arm and pointed it at Whitted
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Can you read the warrant? When I try to open it the thing is jacked up.

I can. Lot's of things not so good in it. Mostly poor decision making by all parties involved it sounds like. Here's the text of the article
    John Schaefer, the man killed by an Austin police earlier this month, was involved in a “stand-off” with an officer before he was shot twice in the chest, according to a search warrant released by APD Wednesday.

The document reveals new details of the shooting, including testimony from a passerby in the neighborhood who saw the two men with guns pointed at each other. It also said Schaefer refused to be handcuffed by officers outside of his North Austin home after he repeatedly declined to discard his own weapon.

The warrant, dated on the day of the shooting, was sought to search Schaefer’s duplex for multiple firearms, including revolvers, shotguns and pistols, along with various types of ammunition.

Around 7:30 a.m. on March 1, Schaefer called 911 to report he shot a pit-bull that attacked him his backyard, located in the 10000 block of Lanshire Drive, near the intersection of Kramer Lane and Metric Boulevard.

Schaefer told the dispatcher he was still armed and had a concealed handgun license. The dispatcher asked him to put away his weapon before police arrived, but Schaefer refused.

Two Austin police officers arrived on scene, inducing John Whitted, a veteran of APD since 2009. When the officers arrived, they again asked Schaefer to put away his weapon which was in a holster on his waist, but he again refused to disarm.

“In an effort to make the scene safe,” the warrant reads, “Officer Whitted attempted to handcuff Schaefer. Schaefer resisted by pulling away and stated, ‘Don’t do that,’ and then reached for and drew his side arm and pointed it at Whitted.”

That is when Officer Whitted felt his safety was jeopardized and fired his own weapon at Schaefer two times in the chest, killing him, according to the warrant.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    oh goodness....
    page1.jpg page2.jpg page3.jpg page4.JPG

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    This isn't about dogs, pits, or dogs and people. It is about pointing a gun at a cop and getting shot.

Even with the warrant, we don't know a lot. Mainly, the demeanor of the guy who pointed his gun at the cop.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If the man indeed pointed his gun at the officer that was foolish. But there was a lot of foolishness here no? The pitbull attacked him. Why was the pitbull not in direct control of the owner? Why the hell does someone living in town need a pitbull? (Don't start comparing your right to own a gun to your right to own a pitbull. Your Glock can't wonder into a neighbors yard and start attacking ppl.)

Also what is the SOP for an officer "disarming" a CHL holder or any otherwise non-threatening citizen with a gun? He was trying to handcuff him and the man turned and pointed his gun at him?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If the man indeed pointed his gun at the officer that was foolish. But there was a lot of foolishness here no? The pitbull attacked him. Why was the pitbull not in direct control of the owner? Why the hell does someone living in town need a pitbull? (Don't start comparing your right to own a gun to your right to own a pitbull. Your Glock can't wonder into a neighbors yard and start attacking ppl.)

Also what is the SOP for an officer "disarming" a CHL holder or any otherwise non-threatening citizen with a gun? He was trying to handcuff him and the man turned and pointed his gun at him?

We don't know the demeanor or the man. We don't know he was "non threatening". Removing the gun from the scene removes what LE calls an area of concern.

If a person does not expect to get shot when they point a gun at a cop I just don't know what to say.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    For sure. We don't know all the details. It could have turned out better if several things were handled differently by most involved.

If the officer had a gun pulled on him, pointed at him in an aggressive manner I don't fault him for shooting. (I know you should never point a gun at someone but a non aggressive manner would be say the mag was out and the slide locked back and he was handing it to him...that sort of thing)

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    We don't know the demeanor or the man. We don't know he was "non threatening". Removing the gun from the scene removes what LE calls an area of concern.

If a person does not expect to get shot when they point a gun at a cop I just don't know what to say.

It seems not pointing a gun at a cop should be common knowledge. And common sense.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

§411.207 - AUTHORITY OF PEACE OFFICER TO DISARM. (a) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official duties may disarm a license holder at any time the officer reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the license holder, officer, or another individual. The peace officer shall return the handgun to the license holder before discharging the license holder from the scene if the officer determines that the license holder is not a threat to the officer, license holder, or another individual and if the license holder has not violated any provision of this subchapter or committed any other violation that results in the arrest of the license holder.

Not that I've had to do this, but if a peace officer wanted to disarm me I expect he/she would instruct me on how they would do so. In most cases with a cooperative individual that is not necessary nor done, but as soon as this guy got hostile I completely understand the officer's desire to do so for everyone's safety.

The idiot resisted, was dumb enough to pull his weapon and he paid the price for doing so. I don't understand why he would do something so stupid, but I firmly believe that given the facts we have that the shooting was clearly justified.

Personally, I feel sorry for the officer who was forced to defend himself. I am sure he didn't want to take this individual's life.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Why the hell does someone living in town need a pitbull? (Don't start comparing your right to own a gun to your right to own a pitbull. Your Glock can't wonder into a neighbors yard and start attacking ppl.)

Did you really say that? That comment is completely retarded!

Top Bottom